Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy hostas

Posted by mcneillsr 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:59

I am compiling a list of hosta vendors for the Dixie Regional Hosta Society. If you know of a good place to visit and to buy hostas that are in the states of the Dixie Regional Hosta Society (TX, OK, AR, LA, TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL, NC, VA, MD) I would appreciate if you let me know. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Dixie Regional Hosta Society

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy hostas

Most of the ones I buy from are well known. However, I recently ran across a nursery in Oklahoma, have not ordered from it. They have some interesting hosta in their online site. They are Bob Scott Landscape & Nursery in Yukon OK (near OK City I think).

I have no experience with them, nor have I heard of anyone who used them.

Here is a link that might be useful: BobScottNursery.com Oklahoma

o

I have been to Bob Scott's nursery. It has been about six years ago., I was pleased with the plants I bought. They have a nice display garden, and their elatior is magnificent. I loved getting to see mature plants.

o

Great to have some firsthand experience, really do appreciate the information. They had one I wanted, in stock too. :)

o

Thanks for the lead to Bob Scott's nursery. If anyone knows of other good place to visit, please, let me know. The link shows the ones I have found so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to visit and buy hostas

o

Mr. McNeill, I notice the first one for Alabama is Judy Feldman's place. I made the same spelling mistake with the email address, and you might wish to correct it to HOSTAS On The Hill. It has an "S" plural. I've ordered from Ms. Feldman by mailorder and I think she will ship within the state of Alabama. Have no idea about commercial requirements to ship outside the state.

Thank you for bringing this to our forum. I submitted a request to join the Dixie group, since I'm already a member of AHS. You cannot beat NO DUES!

o

Thanks for the correction. Judy also asked me to fix that as well. I am still looking for more places to visit. Please let me know if anyone on the list has good places to visit to find the plant we all 'love'.

You are correct in you can't beat free dues. Had a great gathering outside Raleigh this summer. Looking forward to the National Convention in Raleigh nest year. Hope all will make an effort to attend.

Current events for the Region are on the link shown

Here is a link that might be useful: Dixie Regional Coming events

o

Guess I gave a bad link. Try this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dixie Regional Coming events

o

Thank you for the information about events and hosta sellers. Much to explore there.

Come back any time, there are folks from many of those states regularly participating in this forum.

o

I would like to add one for TN. I am extremely new to the 'Hosta World', so may be easily impressed, but I was like a child in candy store when I visited last week

Mary's greenhouse, McMinnville, TN

http://www.marysgh.com/

John

o

Wow, McNeil, you have done a very thorough job of it. I was surprised to see Sandy's Plants on there, from what I've gathered, they are mostly wholesale, but they do retail on-site visits but no mail order retail. They are supposed to be huge and have acres of perennials, hostas included, of course. They give you a map and wish you luck, they are too busy to handhold retailers, but they do allow them, instead of just rejecting the idea completely, so I appreciate that. I have been wanting to take a trip up there but haven't made it yet. Seemed like a fairly obscure place when I found it, so bravo for you adding it to your list. They supply my favorite local nursery with a variety of perennials.

o

John, I don't know that you're easily impressed, but hostas can easily be impressive : )

Don B.

o

Thanks so much for the list of hosta growers in the South. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but it just occurred to me that my window to buy hosta by mail just expanded from one month to three or four.

Thanks,

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here