Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Keeping a photo record of hosta plants

User
9 years ago

I'm asking this as a separate question from keeping statistics and location information about your hosta garden.

I seem to take pictures of the same ones again and again, and then realize much too late that I have NO pictures of other hosta.

In my case, I move pots around a lot, so while I could remember all the in-ground plants (hosta or otherwise), by having mobile pots, some hosta are put in out-of-the-way spots and languish unappreciated. The showstoppers all get noticed. But those yeoman greenies are overlooked.

Do you observe any sort of school picture day? Where you take pictures of everything? And how do you make sure you IDENTIFY each photo for later retrieval? I'm thinking many of mine won't have a current photo to SHOW AND TELL for the Winter Hosta Alphabet events.

Especially with pots.....can you help me work this out? What do you do when taking pictures? When I say "work" I do not mean CHORE. I have enough "chores" to do already. My way of looking at it is the day we dress up and have our pictures taken for the school yearbook. On about a quarterly basis in the garden. Underachievers and overachievers alike. Good, bad, AND ugly.

Comments (43)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i swear to God... i have plants that i havent taken a pic of in 25 years ...

what a waste of money ...

i used to just go out to some given bed.. after dinner with the camera... and i noticed the same.. over time... some just never got pic'd ...

go figure ...

ken

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I take a picture of every hosta as I add it. Then in June and July when the hosta look their best and I am busy taking pics, I try to update many of the pics. Most recent stays in my hosta file, older gets moved to a general plants file. The pics are named by hosta, so if I want to find 'Abba Dabba Do' I just start typing this in search......and all the Abba Dabba Do are found in caption field or file name. Don't take a new pic every year for every hosta....i.e. Venusta pic is from 2007, but probably 1/2 get updated yearly. I do purge pics on occasion, but keep a pic from every year if I have it. I transfer, edit, create collages, and search in Picasa3 (free download program from Google). Very handy!

Example file name...Hosta 'Abba Dabba Do' (2) (06 & 08)-002
    (2) means I have two plants
    (06&08) are years they were added
    -002 is added by Picasa to differentiate because names are same

Here's a pic of a couple of Picasa screens-

File Screen

Edit Screen

Search of 'abba dabba do' screen

Lots of ways to do it, this just works for me.

Paul

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I take lots of pics. As my hosta count increases, I find this is the easiest and fastest way to keep track of them all.

I use Windows Photo Gallery that came on my computer. I make sure I download pics as I take them, and label each pic when I download. I also delete the bad pics then. Then it is easy to search on the name of the particular hosta you're looking for. This program also allows you to easily see the date a pic was taken so I only label with hosta name. A couple times a year, I sort through the pics and delete duplicates or unnecessary ones.

I always take a pic of each new hosta when I plant it. Both a close up and a wide angle to record where it is located.

I try to take at least one pic per year of every hosta in my garden (school pic day as Mocc calls it). This does take a long time, especially with the downloading and labeling, but is worth it to have a record of what they look like every year. I also tend to take wide angle shots of my hosta beds and groups of hosta so I can the progression of my garden from year to year.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I'm not quite as organized as Paul, but I do have picture day! This usually tends to be when I finish weeding a bed or doing some kind of major overhaul or plant swap. I take a pic of the whole bed, sometimes another from the back, then a pic of each plant in there. Oh, I usually take two pics of the same one to make sure I get a good one.

The camera card gets downloaded to computer a couple times a week. Some day or week after that (there's more of a time lag on editing as the season passes and I'm busier outside), I go through and delete any bad pics, compress the pics if my camera was wonky and took 4000x3000 pixel shots again, then manually name each file Hosta Abba Dabba Do 2014-0707 or Astilbe chinensis Visions 2014-0707.

The final version of the hosta pics get uploaded to Photobucket. The final version of everything gets dumped in the Hosta, Plant, or Garden (the beds) folder on my computer.

• peteyfisk
    9 years ago

I take a picture of each hosta as soon as I plant it then get an actual print of it and put in a small photo album. This year I've thought about going fully digital with the photos so Iove Paul's method (love finding people who are as ODC as I am!!). I have a bunch from late last season that I haven't photographed and then all the new ones from this year, so making the switch to digital makes sense. Having the pictures has proven useful when name markers have faded or been raked away!!

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I miss Papou....

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I have a link below to the full poem by Thomas Gray, ELEGY WRITTEN IN A COUNTRY CHURCHYARD

[quote]
    Full many a gem of purest ray serene
    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.
    [end quote]

I figure that each plant in my garden deserves to have its 15 minutes of fame ... if I don't look at it, that just isn't fair. Otherwise I might just as well get rid of everything except the ones I look at. The unseen are the "extras" on the movie set of the Truman Show. But does the rest of the garden (as the movie) depend on them being there in the background? I guess the world would be a strange place is it was filled with all chiefs and no indians.....or all bosses and no workers....all stars and no supporting actors....all captains and no crew.

And that poem written in the country churchyard expresses the sadness of it all. To be so pure, so good, so noble and fine, but blush unseen.

It's a good one to read on a rainy day. Like we are having right now, thank HEAVEN!!! Whooooooeeee! Do the happy dance! No watering today.

Here is a link that might be useful: ..born to blush unseen...poem

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

My first gut reaction is to try and solve this for you...that's my personality at play. I will explain, as the others have so far, what works for me. Once you've received enough information, I'm sure you will come up with something efficient but equally easy/breezy to develop as a habit forming exercise where you don't miss anyone/hosta. Here goes...

>> I take pictures almost daily - my iPad or iPhone, one of them is always handy. I will group 3 or 5 together where each shows well and is easily identifiable...and acts as a map for someone with huge amounts of hostas as you have. I probably shouldn't even be offering my two cents as I have a very small property. I find this iPad version compared to a desktop very easy to adapt to. It may, or may not suit your purpose.

>> I start a new album for each hosta. Today I picked up a replacement for Rainforest Sunrise. I took a photo of it immediately and placed it in the RF album (already exists from last year). If I don't date it immediately, or I forget it, I just refer to my Moments on the iPad and it tells me the date I took the photo.

>> I take progression pics for each:

A). Emerging pips
    B). Unfurling image
    C). Fully leafed out
    D). Flower buds
    E). Open flowers
    F). Fall colour

...sometimes I only have 4 stages: pips, full leaf, flower and fall presentation.

I can re-arrange at any time the photos in an album. I usually have the current pic first, the oldest last. During the winter I delete redundant photos and keep things uniform in each album. It's easy to track growth comparators.

I usually study new pics in the evening and either add to album or replace an older fuzzier shot with the better one.

I also keep albums on irises, HEUCHERAS, astilbes, tradescantias, companion plantings, spring bulbs, etc. etc. easy access when posting pics.

I don't find this tedious. I have all my hostas and other plants memorized and know where every perennial is at any given time.

I have to post this now because my bunny has come out in the open and is sunning himself/herself on my lawn, chewing the lush grass. Cute!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MIKJAG, I'm in agreement with you there. I found some of his site still online through using Google search, and I really poured over what process he must have used to keep information. The man was unreal in his documentation. I suppose Papou breathed, ate, drank, nothing but gardening, especially hosta gardening.

I spent a long afternoon with Papou not long ago. Here is the GWeb thread which started me off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta and Papou

9 years ago

Bunny sidetracked me...

9 years ago

At the end of the season some pics within a folder will be deleted, retaining only a few pertinent ones from each year. For example this album...

9 years ago

Just wanted to say I've done today's homework already, adding new hosta pic to album..this pic I dated in photo grid before filing. I'm not Papou, but I'm gardening-driven! Thank goodness for retirement.

"I spend all my time gardening, the rest I've wasted"!

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 16:36

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ach, Jo! While I was busy posting, you were too. I knew you had a system.

My observation is that you know what is important in life. You had to stop because the bunny came out to play. That shows you have your priorities all straight. No bunnies here, but we have wild birds coming to the sprinkler and feeders. And ripe figs!

I'm also inclined to keep it simple. And, your method keeps in mind the way you use your information. Big plus. However, it does present issues with the volume of MY collection. Random access is what the new Windows 8 and also 7 to some degree encourages. I like hierarchical organization but when you have the total subject matter as HOSTA, that is only one group. And I'm not wise enough to organize things by hosta species at this point in my life. So by name it would need to be...variety. Then, to keep it on a computer, one search field would be by the name. TAGS are so useful. (We once called them "key words" but TAGS is brief). So I've discovered that I can just toss all of the pictures into one folder divided by YEAR......(half year is easier scrolling through photos). It also lets me scroll with slideshow of the general bi-annual file of Jan-May, then June-Dec. I seem to take more pictures in the springtime and this split of the year helps equalize the folder size.

However, when I want to really browse all the photos of a certain plant, it requires a search. And sometimes I did not TAG that particular plant in a general picture of its area of the garden. It all gets rather confusing until I let the thought go out of my head.

Having a weeding process for gardening photos is also important to note. Who else mentioned that? I've been reading all these great systems or methods used by folks on this forum. I have concluded that you are all as obsessive about hosta as I am, so I'm not alone in being nuts. :)

Ken always excluded of course. :)
    No pictures in 25 years? Those poor hosta! :)

• dg
    9 years ago

I try to get a pic each hosta a couple of times during the growing year. One way to schedule a periodic photo op is to take pics on special occasions:
    as they are emerging and leafing out,
    when newly potted/planted,
    as each flowers,
    to capture nice leaf shots,
    when they call to me or
    when someone on the forum posts about one I have and I go check it out.

Each time I use the camera, I make time to download them to my computer for sorting, discarding and naming. For me sorting 150 or less, instead of several hundred, is a lot less overwhelming. Making myself deal with it right away also keeps me from taking redundant pics.

While taking pics I take the name plate pic and then the plant pic(s) next. Lately I have been taking a few pics without the name plate pic 'aid' just to test my memory.

Sometimes it's hard not to have favorites. As I sort the pics it becomes evident which ones I have been ignoring because of the way I have them filed...

I presort by down loading from the camera into my computers picture area under a folder named 'garden'. Within the 'garden' folder are species sub folders ('hosta' or 'fern' or 'phlox' or whatever).

Each species folder contains it's own sub folders.
    The sub folders include an 'off camera' sub folder along with folders for each hosta.

Hosta folders are titled by hosta name, where I got it and what year, for example:
    'Salute, Hallson, 2012'

Inside each named hosta folder are sub folders titled only by years: '2011' '2012' '2013' '2014'

In the 'off camera' folder is where I orientate, discard and name pics.
    I name the pic with the date taken first, then hosta name:
    '7-9 Salute'
    '7-9 Sum and Substance'
    and so on, deleting the name tag pic after the pic is dated and named.

For multiples on the same date I name the pics like this:
    7-9 Salute
    7-9 Salute 1
    7-9 Salute 2
    etc

I do not name pics 'July 9 Salute' because the computer will file in alphabetical order. Instead the name '7-9 Salute' will show the months in chronological order and they won't be mixed up. That is also why I put the date before the name.

After naming each pic, and still working under the 'off camera' folder, I'll select all the Salute (or what ever) pics, right click, cut, arrow back, open 'Salute Hallson 2012' then open '2014' and right click to paste the pics in their folder.

By naming the folder 'Salute Hallson 2012' when I open the 'hosta' folder, the folders line up alphabetically and I can find each one easier.

As I add pics to each folder I begin to notice a pattern of the hosta with less frequent pic trips to their folder.

Well, this has been more difficult to explain than to actually do. I'm not as tech savvy as most here but, however basic, it works for me :-) Maybe some of this will help with the 'TAG' thing for searching.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Dgregory, take a spin with Picasa sometime.....you may find as long as you have a plant name in the file name, you can get by without the date in file name and different folders for each cultivar and year. The date is already tied to the picture and the computer knows this info. Type cultivar name into Picasa search and all pics are found for that cultivar usually in date order already, but if not, then right click and sort by date your search. The only reason I keep only the most recent picture of each cultivar separated from past years is that I like to have a catalog of pics for questions, id, etc. I can view them all, edit, rename...all from same program that imports them from the camera.

Just a thought, as I said there are many way to do the same thing.

Paul

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Having over 500 hosta's and collections of various other plants it becomes a make work project to create folders for all of them. Instead, I keep folders by date and enjoy browsing through them during the winter months.

We take photo's of our plants every day or every other day in the spring/summer. We don't shoot every plant each time but we make sure to get at least one decent photo of each one during the season. It's important for us to get lots of pictures so we can post a good photo on our Facebook page every day (just for the passion of it, it's not a business). I also like to have good photo's for the Alphabet here on GardenWeb :)

Vanessa

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hosta Cottage

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I always thought (and so did my husband and ALL my friends) that I was a little OCD about photographing/documenting my hostas but I can see by previous posts above, I am nowhere near the calibre of the obsessiveness of other hosta lovers! ;-) I really have to up my game.

Vanessa (hippieindenial) - love your Hosta Cottage Facebook page. What a great way to display all your beauties.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Ken ! NO PICTURES for 25 years? Man , you l just need to get a new camera. They are only around $200 and they are actually FREE to take them. No more films or anything hard and expensive anymore. Just imagine. Maybe you may enjoy that and in the winter can stroll through your gorgeous garden. Who knows maybe you may like it enough to go out and buy a better camera!

I kind of keep ( poor) records and have a folder for each hosta. I also use Picasa and find it useful to crop, add titles to picture and group . I have a general file with group garden pictures too . I do find I never take enough pictures because either the sun is shining to brightly or I forget and it is dark, I guess I should make a general time out at just before sunset or 4am but just get up for a few minutes then go back to bed.
    Anyway KEN get a camera

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mocc, is the fig in full sun? I'm picking up a fig that a friend started for me later today. I was wondering about putting it in that much sun.

I don't think my method would work for you, as you have so many more than me. However, here goes anyway. Mine is really simple. I have a folder in my pictures file called Hosta. Inside the folder, I have a folder for each hosta. I have a folder for group shots, not my hosta, dead hosta and a file for each arboretum trip. I've added HVX, cold damage and anthracnose files this year. The file also has a few unsorted photos, most of which should be moved to "not my hosta".

In each hosta named folder, I have a small Excel file that just has the year of acquisition, developer/breeder, grower if I know and the retailer. I can add additional info to that file if I decide later.

Excel File info:

Name Queen of the Seas
    Developer Mildred Seaver
    date of aquistion 2012
    Source Brumleys
    Wholesaler Walters
    Notes Cleo'd in 2012

I don't count pips or keep the "how big it's supposed to get" information. It never is correct anyway. I move them, so there is no point in trying to keep the location recorded. My camera dates each photo, so I don't have to keep that. I just point the cursor to a photo and the date shows.

Sorting them into the correct file is the pain with this process. Sometimes I forget the names and I have to go out and look.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mocc, use your Flickr account and all it's features! I know you house your pics there, as I do. I take pics with my Galaxy S4, the upload is immediate with the flickfolio app. I then (at some point) go to my computer, and drag all the new pics into their own album. Each album is one hosta. You can go in after you create the albums and alphabetize them, to make it easier to look through them. Looks like this:

You can even sort your albums into collections, so you could group them by year or whatever you'd like. That would be the simplest way for you b/c you are already using Flickr. Make it easy on yourself!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

omg, fUNN, i HAVE ONE ALBUM WITH OVER 1000 PICtures in it. (sorry about cap locks)

If I go back and reorganize the old ones, it would mess up every picture I'd posted on GWeb for last two years or more. But, I can begin now, create new albums and "collections" while leaving the old photos in the old albums, just adding them to the new ones as well.

I'm also going to check out Picasa. And Dropbox. And Evernote for hosta, since I already have it installed on computer, Kindle Fire, and my Galaxy S5.

I have PaintShopPro x6, and always before I could add unlimited tags without having to touch the mouse between tags. However, they've done something which means I have to put the mouse click in the add tag box before I can do a second tag. It leads to my hand coming back to the wrong keys when I begin typing again. That pretty much tells me it is no good for indexing my hosta, although it is good for doing artsy stuff with some photos.

But really what you are doing is much less labor intensive.

One thing that I can also do is put the same picture in two albums. Because I tend to shoot two or three plants together. Either they are related or that is a good way to indicate scale.

What do you do about landscape shots? Is there a folder you keep those in separately?

Right now I'm dripping wet with sweat, having cut down a sapling wild cherrytree in my neighbor's azaleas, pulled air potato vines down before they reached MY yard, hauled old vines out of the new hosta area. I put things up to come in for a drink of water and a light lunch. The sky is now overcast but I hear no thunder YET. Hopefully our "afternoon thundershowers" routine is about to begin....HOORAY... it will help not to water things for a few days. After I launch into something destructive, I sit down and meditate about it before I do something irreversible.

9 years ago

I have 2,000 photos in mine, of which about 150 are from last year, all the rest from this year. I haven't even made a dent, it can take it! High resolution, too.

I'm pretty sure that if you move it into an album or move the albums around, it doesn't break the link to the photo. Think of the albums as just a way to sort them, it's not actually moving them there permanently, in other words, it's not rewriting the link. Test it with a photo you've used recently. Just move it and then go back to gardenweb, I bet it will still show up.

That said, I wouldn't make it retroactive, unless you have some downtime to reorganize this winter. Just do it from now on.

Yes, I have an album for full-garden pics, misc stuff, family, dogs, all the other stuff. I sort them down at the end, so they stay all together and it's easy for me to find them in all the named-hosta albums. I also do what you said about putting photos in multiple albums. Sometimes I have more than one hosta in a shot, so I'll sort them in the album for each hosta, meaning that pic goes in 3 different albums. That works well, if you wanted to also make albums for variegated, solid, blues, etc. or by size. I can see great winter projects ahead for grouping them like that. The sky is the limit with albums, there is no limit on how many you can create!

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

As far as the landscape shot Moc, I have a group pictures album but this year started a new one with 2014 group shots the other was group gardens 2013, etc. Not sure it is right but works for me

9 years ago

Yep, that's exactly what I do, too. 2014 Full Garden pics as one album. Works great!

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I do the 2014 garden pics too :) Contains all the shots of full beds, so I can see how it changes over the year.

funnthsun, I think moving pics around in Photobucket does change the links. If you look at the html address for a particular pic, it includes the folder name.

9 years ago

I don't know about Photobucket, I'm talking about Flickr, Eleven.

Well, let's try it with Flickr on this one I already have up.
    Photo not yet sorted as of this moment:

This post was edited by funnthsun on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:41

9 years ago

and now it's sorted into it's own newly-created Album. Can you still see it?

I can, but I like someone else to confirm that, since it's my account (sometimes you can view what's yours, where others can't)

This post was edited by funnthsun on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:42

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I can see it.

Linda

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so, did you move the flickr photo? or did you move it on your computer?on flickr it says "page not found" but i see it in your test post still. has not dissapeared. when you look at old threads with missing pics, that is what happens when folks moved or deleted photos in albums. ask Babka and Paul MN.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Funn, it's not showing up on my iPad.
    Kathy

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Jo, on the airplane yesterday, about five hours of flight time, I tried your system on my iPad. I got 23 folders done, referring to my List Master app and the album/photos pages. I didn't even finish the C's. It was incredibly tedious, especially since I cannot expand the photos to get a better look at them when I am selecting which ones go in an album. I'm not retired yet and back home today, the garden is calling.
    iPads are fabulous for web surfing but I'm finding them not so good for getting work accomplished. The computer, it's desk and all the assorted paraphernalia moved to the basement when we became a two iPad family. I'm thrilled to have the space back in the living room, but not very interested in sitting in the basement working on an old PC.
    Does anyone working with an iPad have some other suggestions for organizing pictures?
    Kathy

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Paul in Mn , I use Picasa too but how can you enter a multiple pictures from there to the forum? I like how I can lighten, crop etc but still never figured out how to send them from there

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Almosthooked, I post multiple pics using flickr. Or use picasa to create a collage and then use gw's upload. I create long stacked pic look in picasa with custom collage sizes, like 6"x20".

Paul

edit - add stacked pic

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 13:44

• JANE100
    9 years ago

Hey Mocc, I'm in. I have a 4" notebook with a sheet for every Hosta I have. Also a transparent sleeve to add pics. Have all the info. Where I got it, when, price and when potted or planted. Too complicated to do it on the computer.

9 years ago

Kathy, I'm sure there are better ways, also on the iPad...I have selective uses for it but agree that for doing actual work on it, nothing beats a laptop or desktop.

If I'm not sure the picture I want is the right one, I still check mark it...it is easy to delete from the album later. The process does seem tedious but right now it's what works for me...till I get some new system. I do not want to use flickr or other means...just loading it was tedious for me, when I tried it last year.
    I'm self taught on iPad so I'm also quite sure there is a whole lot to be discovered yet. :-)

I don't mind posting a pic at a time if they are great pics, to highlight the
    hosta of choice. I find I am enjoying PhotoGrid as well for different presentations.

Really like my individual albums. When I first started them last year, I didn't have as many hostas as I do now...it is easier to maintain once you are all set up, but I agree...it is tedious.

Glad you're back!;-)
    Jo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo when you started with hostas and put the "67" after your name, it was a mere blip in time, how long did that last, maybe one week? and you were headed for 100 if I recall correctly.
    And that may work for you. You have an active life, but you are also compulsive about maintaining your hosta records. Am I right or not? HA,.....I thought so.

Now I'm trying to break that hierarchical habit I've had all my life, especially when I was a librarian before I discovered boats and computers. So I like KEY WORDS or TAGS which is so simple a term even the youte of today can understand it. And I am trying to have my files this year posted on Flickr with tags before they upload, but all on my computer or CLOUD are organized by camera file name, by date, and with all sorts of tags--except the ones I need to search with like "gold" or "Solberg" or whatever lets me find it in response to someone's question on this forum. In the end, we all have to know WHICH hosta fulfill certain attributes.

I don't rely on an outside service (like Flickr) to be a forever solution to my photos. OH no. I went through Webshots folding up and turning into an observer site only, lost my photos from there. Then I had an external harddrive fail on me. So I'm pretty concerned about keeping the pictures themselves.

It's a fun thing for me. I can sit here and immerse myself in viewing the pictures I took, refresh the mental notes I made to myself about who was who when they had missing names. I'd check the past photos. It works for me. And that is one reason I take pictures with more than one hosta in them. If I lose the nametag, and I know who it's neighbor is, then I look for the picture of the known neighbor, and voila, I see who the would-be NOID is. That is also why I try to identify all the hosta in the photo too.

Does anyone else watch their photos as a full screen slideshow? Do you say the names of the hosta before the slide changes? And for those you missed, do you go look at them next day to see who they are? Well, I do that.

Seems to me you could put it on a manual slideshow, so you can play NAME THE HOSTA at your next club gathering, or your family gathering if everyone is into the garden thing.
    I'd play it. Lose, probably. Except where my own personal garden comes in. I'm getting much better. I think watching the slideshow helps a lot.

Okay, now that really wasn't off topic was it? It simply says how I use my indexing. ;)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EDIT to add this>>>>HEY THERE JANE. I see you made it back on board. Hope I got through for you. We could have a great time with all the details you have in your actual not digital photo albums. We could do flash cards. Or pick a card and first one who fails to name it loses a point.

You are not going to believe this, but I was typing on another thread, and this FLY.....I mean, this common crazy HOUSE FLY....goes crashing into my screen two times,...;..bang bang....and I lose the thread I was creating.

Last time I had such an encounter with an electronic fly wiz, I had the fly swatter, and I WHACKED him....and broke my keyboard....lost two keys.....now I have a new one. What I have to remember is to have another light source on, flies not being too smart, think they are supposed to fly into the LIGHT. And so they do.

Was that fly trying to tell me something?
    Maybe I'll shut up for now. But I was trying to start a thread about HEAT DORMANCY. Oh well. It was not meant to be.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:08

9 years ago

To answer your question to me up above, Mocc, I moved the pic into an Album on Flickr. It doesn't change the link when you move in and out of an Album, it still keeps it's original link.

I am now viewing it on another computer and can still see it, so it defin doesn't affect it to sort things in Flickr. The reason why, if you click on it, it says "Page Not Found" is because I have the pics listed as private. You can see the shot here, but if you click on it, it says not found. If I changed it to Public, you could see it. Since all of my pics go up straight from my phone, I keep them private and when I share them via cutting and pasting the link into here, it will show them here, private or not. Your choice of pasting the link kind of overrides the private tag. Makes sense, if you think about it. You wouldn't be pasting it somewhere if you didn't want them to see it, but they can't click on it and go into your Flickr account to see the blown up pic.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks Funn. It used to be different, and I was afraid to move things around on Flickr. But I guess the removal of the photo entirely is all that affects GWeb these days.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow.......you guys have been at this for awhile. I'm not good with computers to begin with. Ummm off topic I have had a few cameras taking pictures of family trips etc, downloaded to computer. Computer crashed and lost ALL photos. Got a new computer and the technology of camera phones, so started taking pictures with camera phone and NEVER downloaded!! I had years on my phone, get a new phone just transferred them over to new phone. LAST week my SD card on my Samsung fried on me. ALL pictures are erased!!! ALL...my son growing up, my cats, my trips to Maui everything AGAIN. So, I now have an Iphone 5C......started taking hosta pictures again......but now I want to make sure that if I put on computer I don't lose all again. I like some of your ideas. My sister told me to get dropbox, but I have no idea what is good and what is not. Time to get with the program, take some pictures and make files.
    uggghhh

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Hostacats, we're all in the same boat. I lost half my music in an external hard drive crash. Each one is finding their own way through the digital wilderness, finding what works for them. I've got all my stuff on the iCloud now hoping that Apple will use their bazillions of dollars to do what they say. We'll see.
    Kathy

• hostacats
    9 years ago

So Kathy, do you have an iphone?? and is that what you take pictures with? Icloud is for apple like the phone?? Hahaha I don't know.......I have not downloaded many apps to my iphone yet.....just playing with it and figuring it our for now.
    I had gmail on my other phone it was just there and I created an account with gmail and it would send my pictures to my actual email address too. That's how I started my hosta albums, but now, I need to figure out a different method that's not complicated.
    I will figure out eventually!!

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I didn't say I could manage it on the iCloud! That's just where my bet is now. Eventually is a good word.
    Kathy