Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inlimbo_gw

Misty day murders in the garden, oh my

inlimbo
15 years ago

Both my infected Striptease are gone now, one replaced by a huge Plum Pudding heuch. June is breathing a sigh of relief, but I miss the bright spot of that gorgeous huge ST --

Wandering by Paradigm, lifted a leaf only to find slugs all over the ground. Never have had them in 12 years in this house (or anyway they caused no problems), so this was a shocker. Spent the next 15 mins moving them to a rock where they got themselves squished. June had some too - both these were new last fall, so I think maybe they came with a slimy bonus. eeewwwwwww

Also set mousetraps by 2 vole holes & covered with pots & rocks. Checked an hour later & peanut butter was gone from one, but no victim found....

Off to buy some Sluggo...

Not liking this part....

Comments (7)

• Janice
    15 years ago

Murder is always a messy business--and one I'm not prone to---and avoid if possible!
    But---there is much at stake, when something approaches my hosta to do them harm.
    I HATE the killing--even when I feel I have to do it, and even if done fairly remotely!
    It always *runs against my grain*!!

• inlimbo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looking out the window to see 3 chipmunks frantically digging to get under the pot covering the p-nut butter-baited mousetrap -

Maybe I need to post a sign -- "VOLES ONLY"

sheesh

• Janice
    15 years ago

Oh dear---well, here is what I did when I HAD TO DO SOMETHING with voles---I took long-necked bottles, like a wine bottle or something
    similar--I placed the granular rat poison in the bottle--tipped the bottle on it's side, carefully to keep the bait at the bottom end, and placed it next
    to the activity I'd seen of Voles. They are so small, as to be able to enter the neck of the bottle, and chippies can't and won't want the rat poison--as I
    was made to believe, and the voles disappeared in a very short time! Sad--I hate to poison anything as it takes longer to do it's deed but--better
    than trapping things I don't choose to like 'chips' and even the 'shrews' that I've come to not appreciate their PENCHANT to nibble baby (blind and hairless)
    bunnies to death--but if you have no issues with the way things are done 'naturally' the shrews will take care of some of your bunny population, as well! :o/

BTW--as you may have discovered--Chips LOVE P-NUTS!!!

• inlimbo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that idea better by far, hey j. Do you just leave the botttle on top of the ground close to the hole? Do you put a pot or anything over it so it's in the dark?

And, EO -- I tried your ammonia spray solution with great results! Found at least 10 more slimy slugs all over the rocks near Paradigm & they are NOT A PROBLEM NOW -- love a cheap, easy, non-harmful fix to a problem. Thanks for the expert solution...

Here's one for anybody that has brick or stonework and needs to kill weeds growing in cracks - I may have found here, but it works so well, bears repeating - boiling water works instantly...

• dhaven
    15 years ago

If you want to try an organic, nontoxic slug remedy, I highly recommend diatomaceous earth. This is composed of the tiny exoskeletons of planktonic sea creatures, very spiky, but completely harmless to everything in the garden except slugs. They will not come in contact with it willingly, as it causes severe irritation. If you find slugs on a hosta, sprinkle the DE over the stalks and crown area of the hosta, which will take care of any slugs there. Wait a day or two for any surviving slugs to vacate the plant, then sprinkle a ring of DE around the hosta, or around the perimeter of the entire bed. An old baby powder container makes a fine shaker, or you can use a parmesan cheese shaker, or you can just sprinkle it by hand.

Diatomaceous earth is commonly used as a pool filtration medium, and is readily available at pool supply stores. A few garden centers also stock it, but it's cheaper at the pool supply places, where it's very reasonably priced. There are two varieties, and you want the finer of the two, which is all most places will carry. One application around plants will last an entire season, and it's completely harmless to other wildlife and pets. I have also just seen it recommended as a wormer for alpacas! In fact, if you have any sort of livestock, you can sprinkle it around the pasture for parasite control, and it will eliminate or severely reduce the population of round worms and other nasty critters. Feeding it in small doses to livestock will eliminate their worm load with no harm to the livestock.

I very much prefer to use organic solutions, rather than adding chemicals to my garden. Having an organic garden also allows birds and toads to live there, and both will happily eat any slugs they may find, as well as many other potential hosta eating insects. In this case, it's cheap, it's organic, it's extremely effective, it's harmless to children, pets and wildlife, so why not try it?

• Janice
    15 years ago

Yes, inlimbo---just lay the bottle near the area of concern--you don't have to cover it or anything! I always turn it away from the way
    rain might come, and even elevate the back end of the bottle, where the neck and opening slope downward so as to not let rain or water
    from watering in! If you do get either in with the rat poison--it smells like 'death' itself! Awful stuff when left awhile like that!

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

The ammonia will feed the plants as well unless you over do it and then they will recover from any small damage. Do the drenching the soil thing about 7-10 days 2-4 times and it will control the slugs. Going out at night killing the ones on the plants will kill them of course but drenching ground gets all of them.

Search Papou on slugs, he did a great piece.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!