Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

What's doing the best in the Xtreme heat?

mosswitch
12 years ago

Walking the hosta beds, I see that some are really suffering, heat stress, sunburn, whatever but there are some hostas that just keep on being beautiful in spite of the worst of times. I notice Captain Kirk, Bright Lights, Eskimo Pie, Fuji Botan (in it's glory right now) the Plantaganeas, Sweet Home Chicago, the Junes, Janet (in spite of being transplanted in the midst of the drought in June), Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Guacamole, the Albo Maginata crowd, Empress Wu, Atlantis, some (but not all) of the Francis Williams--(the most neglected ones, lol), Regal Splendor, Patriot, Minute Man, Gypsy Rose, Guardian Angel, Praying Hands, T-Rex, Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, First Frost, a few assorted others, and most of the miniatures are all looking wonderful. Even All That Jazz, which suffered terribly in the sun last year, has adapted nicely to the loss of its shade tree. None of these listed have much slug or bug problems, either.

Blue Hawaii looks to be bulletproof in it's first year, as does Witch's Brew, Golden Meadows, Goodness Gracious, Redneck Heaven (it should, after all, this is the Ozarks!), Spilt Milk, Atlantis, and Piedmont Gold. The species group are doing great without much supplimental water.

So far I've opnly lost a couple this year... a Little Treasure, and a division of Golden Tiara that the squirrels dug up and I didn't notice until it was too late.

What's heat proof in your gardens?

Comments (4)

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Parhelion,standing right out front of my garden entrance,in afternoon sun,despite 97 degrees yesterday! All the rest are sinking fast,and if it goes on for another week will be gone 'til next year! Phil

• Gesila
    12 years ago

So far so good, some new ones that were in full sun started showing stress after my neighbor turned off my mister. I'm actually having more problems with slugs in the back section of one of the gardens than heat related problems. I don't even want to think about the water bill though. And, starting this month, the sewer goes from a flat rate every month to a graduated rate based on water usage.

I'm waiting for my young Sea Thunder to go dormant in this heat, it's just starting to show some stress.

• Wendys_garden
    12 years ago

I am amazed that so far most are looking good. Most of my sunburn came from the first week of June when we had scorching temperatures. The leaves were too new & not used to the hot sun that early in the season. But then the weather settled into the usual June 70-80's and I got a new flush of leaves to replace the scorched ones.
    From the current heatwave, the only ones that are looking sickly are the ones planted in full day sun: Satisfaction looks like it's on death's door, Ebb Tide, Alex Summers, Hollywood Lights, Marilyn Monroe & Spartacus all have bad sunburn.
    But I have others in afternoon sun that look great: Roy Klehm, June, Devon Green, Paradigm, Brother Stefan, Northern Exposure, Choo-Choo Train, Sagae, Midas Touch & Sara's Sensation all looking good. Even my Great Expectations, which gets sun from 11:00am to 2:00pm (AND is between a hot concrete walk & a white house) is looking great.

Wendy

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Gesila, they charge our summer sewage charges according to our winter usage. That way, you don't have to pay sewage charges for your landscape use.

Guacamole, So Sweet and Francee are holding up well. Surprise! Francis Williams and Invincible look ok, which I expected to really suffer. Sum and Substance looks bad, as does Blue Angel. The rest are not too good, not too bad. I'm just trying to keep them in good condition for next year at this point.

The bright spot is the first flowers on my young Guacamole.

bk