Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not hosta momma of the year...

Posted by indymom76 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 13:02

I'm noticing many posts like mine, but I just feel terrible that I haven't been more "motherly" and coddled my hosta this year. I do get out and give them a good soak 1-2 times a week, but still many of them have crispy leaves. My DH and I say we have a "bubble" around us-it seems north and south of us get rain but we unfortunately miss it!!

I'm sorry I haven't been on more often-I have felt bad for being a bad hosta momma this summer. Good news is nothing has died so maybe you don't need to call in hosta protective services yet...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not hosta momma of the year...

It doesn't matter. I ran up an over $200. water bill, and lots of mine still have crispy leaves. We're in a "bubble", too, and temps have been 10-25 degrees above normal for six weeks.

Don't feel guilty, just keep on keeping on and dream of next year. I keep telling myself 2013 has to be better.

So far spring arrived six weeks early, we've had three nasty hail storms, all the slugs, bugs, bunnies and deer lived through an extremely mild winter, no rain, days on end of 95-106 F, moles and raccoons digging up the hosta beds, and we're supposed to get more of the same all August. 2012 has just been a perfect storm of bad news.

o

I had to dig up a biggish hosta last year (Green Wedge - an oldie) and I forgot about it. It sat all dug up by my compost bin all last summer, through the fall and winter, and is still not planted. It has gotten bigger and flowered this year, still sitting on top of the rocks. I haven't even waved a hose over it. It's not personal, I don't dislike it, but I keep forgetting about it. The point is that they will survive crispy leaves, hail, slugs, and just about anything nature throws at them, and start off all shiny and new next spring. By which time hopefully Green Wedge will be in the ground.

o

lisanti, all you have to do is write on a sheet of paper "plant Green Wedge" and stick that on the refrigerator door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here