Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

hostas under spruce trees

prairie_love
9 years ago

Hi all,

I read the thread about roots and competition for water, and I think that explains my problem.

Between the road and our yard, there is a double row of trees, with a drainage ditch in between. One row of trees are cottonwoods, the other are spruce. All trees are mature. The area is so shaded that grass will not grow, so we had the "brilliant" idea of making it a new hosta bed (between the ditch and the spruce). I've planted quite a few hosta there over the last three years. But none of them are thriving, and several have died. It isn't simply my brown thumb as hosta in other locations do well. So would I be correct in thinking that it is probably due to water competition from the tree roots?

Is there anything I can do to make this location more hospitable for hosta or would I be better off moving them and trying something else here (and if so, any recommendations for what might grow?)

Thanks!
Ann

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

The area is so shaded that grass will not grow

==>>> if grass wont grown... NOTHING WILL THRIVE... crickey its the number one invasive.. i will grow in cracks in ashplalt weed.. lol ... if it wont grow.. give up ...

then on top of that .... under my mature conifers... i am talking 30 to 40 foot trees.. its a desert ...

and i dont think you will ever be able to apply enough water for any hosta.. other than the driveway workhorses ... [new post if you want that list]

you said: So would I be correct in thinking that it is probably due to water competition from the tree roots?

==>>. bingo and a bango... you know much more than you are admitting to yourself ...

and dont even get me going on cottonwood ... water suckers supreme ... and if they are close.... say the height of the tree ... i doubt you will ever water enough to overcome them and the conifers ... except for the above ...

ken

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken. You confirmed my fears. Well, they will have to survive a couple more weeks till I have some time, but then they will get moved to a happier home.

You consider the height of the tree to be close? Ha ha ha ha ha (I'm laughing at myself, not you). These are tall trees, and the hosta are probably only about 6 feet from them. And only about 3 feet from the spruces.

Surely there is a groundcover that would like this challenge?

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Hi, Ann,

I am in a similar situation, having had the brilliant idea to plant a lot of hostas in a beautiful "secret room" beneath the canopies of a 30-40 foot white pine and a Norway spruce. Since then I've learned a lot more about hostas' sun requirements and am trying to find a more suitable location for them.

I have noticed that Virginia creeper is thriving in the deep shade (as well as creeping charlie and poison ivy LOL). Don't know if you like Virginia creeper, but I think it's pretty...

Good luck!

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by altheatime on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 15:34

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do like VA creeper, mostly because the pileated woodpeckers love the berries. Thanks for the suggestion.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Since you also mentioned white pines, I have no problems growing hostas under white pines, no root competition from white pines.
    Bernd

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Ann, I didn't know about the woodpeckers- I will leave my virginia creeper alone :-)

Bernd, good to know about growing under white pines- do your hostas get enough sun there?

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Prairie love - would you consider building a raised bed under those spruces (wood, rock, brick...?) That way you could still have hostas there. A couple of feet deep might do it. Probably a lot of work though. Just a thought.

• HU-495335231
    last year

Ive never gotten any thing under my tiny forest of spruce in alaska moss, the best moss thats it oh an a few small alder trees