Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

how late to plant hosta?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

It is now the third week in July. I am in zone 6 Kansas. How late in the season can I safely plant hosta? I get my hosta usually from a cool place in Kansas City--they bareroot them, wrap them in wet paper, and mail them to me--usually takes no more than 2-3 days. Nice-sized healthy hosta with good set of roots on them. So far, everything I've received from them took off immediately when I planted them in my garden (within 20 minutes of receiving them in the mail).

So if I order 3 hosta today from this place, they will mail the order out next Monday or Tuesday and I should receive it by the end of that same week at the latest--which puts it at the end of July. Is that too late to plant? Should I just wait until next spring?

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (10)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I've planted as late as end of September...we've had snow as early as October or as late as just before Christmas..you have no worries, plant away..those in your zone and others who are more learned than I will pipe in soon enough...they will likely give you a timeline framework for you to use.
    :-). Happy planting!
    Jo

• User
    10 years ago

Well, let me repeat what I learned from Van Wade at Wade Gatton Nurseries. He stops digging his hosta the first of October. He is in Ohio, just about your latitude, right? At that time, many of the ones he shipped to me WHICH HAD TO BE DUG, were already getting the dormant look. I imagine the average date of first frost has something to do with him not wanting to subject the DUG divisions main plant to potential heave later in the winter.

They arrived here in south Alabama ready to go to sleep, but we had two more months of growing season, so they jumped back into the business of leafing out, and then went dormant some time in December. It did not seem to hurt them. They stayed dormant until fairly late this spring, when compared to some emerging in February 2012.

Just so they can settle into the new planting site before the ground freezes, it seems that is the main consideration.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I've planted as late as November here in western NC,but I've always heard that you can plant as long as the ground can be worked. i.e.,not frozen. Phil

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I have found that planting in the fall as late as October (late-August-September seems optimal) that hostas in my area of SW Missouri do better than those planted in the spring and come spring, they are the ones that have developed the most new eyes and growth.

Might be different in other parts of the country. Summer planted ones require so much water here in the hot and dry moths of July and early August that they are iffy at best, and sometimes actually seem to lose ground.

Just my experience.

Sandy.

• dg
    10 years ago

I agree with Sandy, but then any late season hosta I have mail ordered were planted in pots and overwintered under shelter.

fwiw, I would worry about the weather turning hot while in transit during this time of year.

You might contact the Kansas City folks and ask what they they suggest as far as shipping and planting their hosta.

Deb

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

I usually order my late season hostas from Land of the Giants. They come bareroot.

Sandy

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

6 weeks prior to the average first frost....
    That's the 'rule'.
    Here, that'd be Labor Day.

But I've planted here in early October and been fine.
    Make sure they get plenty of water before they go dormant. And be sure to get the soil packed in nicely... no big air pockets where moisture can sit and freeze next to the crown.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK--I'm going to order those three hosta tonight, water them in well when I plant them, and keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't dry out--which should be easy since I have to walk past them every time I use the watering system or head for my car, both of which I do several times a day. : )

Thanks for all the advice.

Kate

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

speaking off frost ...

the out-of-doors here is a veritable cacophony of cicadas ...

*six weeks 'til frost,* quipped farmer john

dave

• C H
    6 years ago

Where in Kansas did you buy plants dublinbay?