Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Not sure of identity

Can anyone put a certain name on this. I am thinking Brother STEFAN or Paul's Glory. It gets a lot of sun.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

Are your flowers totally white, or do they have a slight lavender blush to them?

Brother Stefan has 3 colors on the leaf, and has white flowers tightly packed on the scapes.

Paul's Glory is said to have lavender flowers although light colored. If it is in a lot of sun, it is said the yellow center turns a white to whitish-green color. Its green is said to be blue-green.

I cannot tell if there is a chartreuse color in this leaf between the gold and the dark green. However, If you think it is a choice between BroStef and Paul's Glory only, then I'd say it was Brother Stefan. Why? Because the flowers seem white to me in this picture, and closely packed. The edging looks deep green and not blue green.

Brother Stefan develops a lot of rugosity as it matures. This one is not quite mature, is it? Maybe 4 years old at most? It is larger than mine, which is 3 years growing, but does not have the intense corrugations of a mature plant.

Hope someone else can help you in case it is neither BS or PG.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Best photo I can do today. I'm having to learn a new camera.

As Mocc says, the Paul's Glory has only 2 colors. Bro Stephan has 3. I put Paul's Glory next to Bro Stephan and here they are. Paul's Glory is in too much sun, but Bro. Stephan is more sheltered from the sun.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 16:14

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. It dose have 3 colors and the flowers are white. The plant is about 4 years old and almost 30 inches in diameter. It is going to get a BS label so it knows what it is!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Paradigm? I'm also guessing here.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I just checked. Yes, Don, Paradigm has three colors as does Old Glory. Neither have bloomed this year, so I have no clue as to the color of the blooms.

I just checked the hosta library. Old Glory has orchid blooms. Paradigm has whitish ones.

You could be right, Don.

Sunny, what is the origin of the plant? Is it a big box store or a mail order or a nursery?

bk

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Old Glory?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Brother Stefan gets rugose pretty early, though. Here's mine, certainly not mature:

Don't pass over that possibility yet.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it came from a nursery in VT. My other Paradigm has not begun to send up scapes. I'm going with BS . It is starting to develope some coregatioon.