Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Calling all receptors...

Just detected a lovely scent on ... BLUE MOUSE EARS bloom, just opened.
Yes, I can detect a soft lily fragrance. There is only one flower open so far, but the scent is there.

It is rather chilly for July, windy but sunny. This hosta is sitting just outside my kitchen door.

This post is to remind anyone that is interested, to smell ALL your hosta flowers and see if they are emitting a scent. I was surprised last year, and now again, this year. Just because it is written somewhere that a certain hosta does not have scented flowers, doesn't mean it is so. :-)

If you have a BME in bloom right now, sniff away...you may just detect a scent. I know I'm not the only one with a good sense of smell and keen receptors. Discover if you are too!

The little NOID from last year that we did not identify, but had scented flowers, has scapes but buds still forming. Will update once flowers are open.

The Sniffer.

Comments (20)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Then check your Blue Cadet, it should be blooming at the same time since Blue Mouse Ears is a sport.....don't recall ever noticing a scent on BC.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I detected a scent on Crusader. It's blooms have just peaked. I have a couple of fragrants with open blooms right now, so it's a little ahead of them. It's not listed as fragrant, either.

Of course, it's an Aden plant that he registered in 1976, so it might actually have some fragrant plants in it's background.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Boy, you sure have a good nose, Jo. (Or mine is bad) Your post just had me outside, sniffing all the blooming hostas I have LOL. Sadly, I got nuthin' : ( But at least you got me outside walking in the garden!

Have you tested your Blue Cadet, as Paul mentioned? Just curious.

Are there two different Crusaders out there? Mine's a Halcyon hybrid with a white margin, registered by the Lachmans in 1989. Looks like the plants pictured in the Hosta Library, for the most part.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul, Don, we are all on the same page! I actually have the answer already but didn't want to add to my own post because it would slip from the top. :-)

YES, Blue Cadet is blooming here too and the flowers are identical except for the size...BC is slightly bigger and YES, the fragrance is there but not as strong as BME. Isn't that great???

After I posted the thread I took a pic of BME (one of a few I have) with the two flowers from BC, which are propped up between BME's "ears" on the left in the picture.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay, that is fantastic that you found scent in the blooms of Crusader! You've got a sharp nose too! I know nothing about this hosta...might do a bit of research.

Don I'm glad I got you outside! Lol I hope you will get to enjoy SOME of your scents on your Fragrants. Which ones in your garden CAN you discern?
    Remember the little NOID from last where you remembered that it had a few variegated leaves? Well, they are back! I compared pics from last year and they are where they should be. I'm so glad because I thought I should like to separate them...they look pretty together though...may just leave them. In a few days I hope the flowers will open so I can find out if they are scented again.

Paul, you have many BC's...maybe, just maybe you might smell something. Break off a scape and let me know? If you would like to do that, please. Thank you.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Jo, I will try to remember....not blooming here quite yet, probably a week or so.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I think we are talking the same plant. Mine is new this year. It put out a bunch of flowers this year. It's scent if fainter than on Fragrant Dream and Cathedral Windows (which are the only "fragrants" blooming right now), but it's definitely there.

1976 was when Aden was introducing all of the Florence Shaw hosta. I believe she was also messing with fragrants along with Kevin Vaughn. So, it's quite possible that there are fragrant genes in this plant. I have a lady who works for me that can detect a fragrance on Sum and Substance. I think some folks just have better smellers.

bk

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The scents change during the day. It will be heavier at some hours than at others. Smell it at a different time of day.

At least the fragrants are that way.

bk

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

whew, anything to get don away from the keyboard ⦠keep it up!

dave

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay, I've noticed that as well - I checked about an hour ago..sun down, wind picked up, cooler outside...barely a scent.

Last year when I first detected the scent in the small NOID it was around mid-day, hot, humid and balmy. I took notes then. I really think all these factors go into play when a flower is emitting maximum scent.

This is intriguing and fun....and educational to boot!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm waiting for this one to open flowers...just took pics but they aren't too clear, sorry.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I just noticed that June has had a leaf snacked on! I was chasing the bunny around today! Left some spinach and lettuce for him - outside the gate! Let's hope he stays out.

When I bought this one last year it was very yellow/gold but that may be attributed to it sitting at the nursery in full sun.

I really like the long twisted tip of the sported leaf and the colour of the entire plant generally for this year. I guess this is the colour it is supposed to be? A soft or pale chartreuse.

Last year's pic.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It's a pretty little thing.

I'm buying smalls next spring. I will look forward to an id.

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bk, the smalls are actually easier to deal with given my limited space. They are neat and tidy and do not overwhelm any space. I started back in 2011 buying more smalls, yet this year the large ones drew me in, lol. God knows where I'll plant them all!

I think you'll enjoy them very much...they are like a bunch of celebrity mini-me hostas.

Original Author
    9 years ago

While visiting Humber Nurseries in Toronto today, I picked up a blooming BME just to check - the flowers were scented. The staff member in that section didn't appear to be surprised at all...said she finds scent all over the place on hostas that aren't known for fragrant flowers.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Don't worry Dave, I'm back. Just admit you've got a man-crush on me. ; )

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Today, about 11:00 AM (85 degrees or higher), Mary, the lady who works for me, Jonathan, my young friend with a 10 year old nose and I smelled all the hosta that were blooming. All of us detected a faint scent on Crusader and Sum and Substance. We detected a stronger scent on all the "fragrants" in bloom. None of us detected a scent on June Fever.

This is kind of fun.

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

That is great to hear, BK! With more than one nose at work, there is no doubting whether you've detected scent or not....sometimes it is so faint, it's hard to be sure! Thanks for the heads up re S & S!

Both BME and BC had scents again here today. :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 21:37

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

I'll be sniffing tomorrow for sure but I have Blue Cadet near the walkway and my Black Lab has his nose in the blooms all the time sniffing away.
    Either way I think the scapes and blooms on BME and Blue Cadet are both special. To me, they are proportionally perfect .... just high enough above the follage for a nice visual display.
    Blue Cadet

BME

Original Author
    9 years ago

I so agree with the proportionately perfect comment, Mbug. It's nice to have a doggie who appreciates scented hosta flowers. Good dog! :-)