Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luuk_gw

Maybe one day

luuk
9 years ago

Yes, maybe one day I will have my own sport as some of you.

Earth Angel, in one eye some leaves are almost solid light-green, so I have cut off the ones with regular color.

Iced Lemon, also here some color mutations.

Please post a picture if you or your plant have starting to mutate!

Comments (11)

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

This one came out of vim&vigor.

9 years ago

Not sure if this is a sport or just a mis-labeled plant. It was being sold as gold standard

9 years ago

Last one from me ( sorry but I don't know how to post multiple pics on a post). This came out of frozen margarita. Your sports are very promising looking btw.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mac, that last one is a dead ringer for Sweet Innocence.

bk

9 years ago

That's what I'll call it then! It was a division that came out of frozen margarita. Thanks for the info. I guess with over 8000 named varieties new sports are bound to look like something already named.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Mac - Your sport of Frozen Margarita has a much wider white margin then the original. Good sport! I posted this photo of my young plant so people can see the difference.

DD

9 years ago

Thanks DD. FWIW here's the clump of frozen margarita it came from.

• luuk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mac thanks, your sports looks great! ...after how much time your plant have started to mutate?
    Someone can tell me if there more possibility to obtain a sport when the plants are young or when they are more mature ...or the possibility are exactly the same ...thanks.

Bkay is right, the colors of the last one resemble at Sweet Innocence, ...here's mine

9 years ago

Sweet Innocence is sweet! The few sports I have occurred within the first year of purchasing them at one gallon size. Interesting question whether mutations occur more frequently on younger or more mature plants. I know when Pauline Banyai was still with us she had a lot of mature clumps that she obtained sports from, Gold Standard being her most famous one.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mac- No don't call it Sweet Innocence. That is a named sport from a different hosta. (Fragrant Bouquet). Yours has different genetics. You get to pic a name for your sweet one!

I looked at the data base at the Hosta Library and it shows NO named sports for Frozen Margarita. You have have a new sport there! Congrats! Now you need to grow it for a few years to see if it keeps those edges, and to get the mature size of the plant and leaves, flowers, etc.

-Babka

9 years ago

I just meant that's what I would call it. If it turns out to be something worth introducing I'll give it to someone to properly introduce it. I'm actually more impressed with the sport out of vim & vigor, but then I'm a sucker for large hosta's. Both have been stable for a year so we will see what happens. It's great getting all this input. Thanks everyone.