Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasformez4

Ginko Craig???

hostasformez4
16 years ago

I recently visited the gardens of Hosta Forum members HostaHaven and Flowersformyfarm and they each had a hosta labeled Ginko Craig which was not at all like the hosta by that name I have had for 14 years. I questioned it's correctness and told them to check the Hosta library to see what mine looks like. Well, I just got back from a trip to the TwinCities and one of the nurserys had the same hosta they each have with the Ginko Craig label as well.

My question is which one is correct? My older version or the new version they have? If it is my version, there are quite a few wrong labeled hostas being sold as Ginko Craig in two states!

Connie

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

i would need a picture of yours too comment.. and maybe even a picture of theirs ... ken

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

Here's a picture of my Ginko Craig. Hopefully Char can post a photo of hers. Hers is a much more rounded leaf.

To further complicate things, here's a photo of my helonioides Albo-picta. I think it's my Zilis book that says that those plants are probably actually the same as Ginko Craig. I don't know how well the photo shows it, but in person, the h-A has wider margins that are definitely yellowish. My Ginko Craig has thinner very white margins. They're only about 10 feet apart from each other in the same garden, same light, same soil so I don't think that's why they look different. I've always wondered about that as well.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

And here's a picture of my Ginko Craig and it doesn't look at all like flowersformyfarm in color or form. I think it was Papou who said in a different post when that they reach maturity they widen and aren't as attractive.

My Ginko Craig - at least 5 years old
    {{gwi:910438}}

Char

16 years ago

and i dont think either of them look like mine.. i will let you know.. ken

• hosta_freak
    16 years ago

For the record,Connie,my Ginko Craig looks just like yours. That Helonioids Albo picta is the same plant,as far as I know. I've never seen any GK's look like Chars,even in the nursery near me.Who knows? Phil

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

Char
    Yours looks more like Little Wonder or AP McConnell. Check them out in the Hosta Library.

• FlowersForMyFarm
    16 years ago

Here's a photo of my AP McConnell for comparison. Char, you can stop by and take a leaf home if you want to compare it to your plant.

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Actually, Flowers, I already have an Allen P McConnell and it looks more like my Ginko than yours does! LOL!

I must have gotten a mis-labeled AP-McC years ago! Quick! Somebody send me a real Ginko so I don't have to re-do all my spreadsheets and maps! ROFLOL!

Char

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

Don't you just hate that when it happens...I think we all have a mislabeled one once in a while. At least you got it straightened out. Now you need a GC LOL An excuse to get one more, after all you already have a label for it!

• party_music50
    16 years ago

I think this might be my 4th with Ginko Craig, and this was the year it took on its "mature" appearance. It had looked much more like Allan P. McConnell until now.

This photo was taken on June 2, when things were just getting growing. GC is in the center:

• jel48
    16 years ago

My 3 year old Ginko Craig - planted August 2004

• dmi188
    16 years ago

flowersformyfarm's plant looked like mine after a couple of years, hostahaven's plant looked like mine this year before they tore the gas line out...about 10 yrs old. When I first got it, however, it looked like the margins were whiter, and the shape quite different. Perhaps its just a morpher!

16 years ago

mine is near death .. go figure on that.. ken

• hostasformez4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just came in from taking pictures of two different plants of Ginko Craig.

Maybe the difference is mine are mature. Mine look like the Hosta Library pictures.

Connie

Close up picture of Ginko Craig plant 1

Second plant farther away.

• hostasformez4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My second picture shows GC with AP Mc on the right of the picture so check out the differences.

I just rechecked my post and found out the two are almost side by side!

Connie

16 years ago

try rohdefolia ... or decorata as the library

i dont think either are GC .... and GC being a small plant.. maturity should be 2 to 3 years ... and at that point.. leaves NEVER get bigger ... the clump will but leaves are leaves ...

ken

• lgkovalcik
    16 years ago

I've had GC for many years, and it definitely does morph. After a split, the leaves are longer and narrower and lower to the ground. When left in place for about three years, the leaves become rounder and the plant takes on a more mounded appearance.

I split mine pretty often, since I prefer that form. The eyes that appear the next spring go back to the juvenile look. I use it as an edger, so splitting isn't a lot of trouble.

Laura

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

I dunno but I like my newly named "AP McConnell" better than the "real" GC. I like the softer blue/gray/greenish color and shape more than the others..sorry, Connie & Flowers!

I have to thank Connie (Hostasformez4) for setting me straight, LOL!

Char

• hostasformez4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Char!

After sonKen's remark I thought mine might not be GC either but Laura saved me!!!

The GC I saw in MN. was a young plant but I really looked twice because it looked so much like Karen's. So that's why I posted in the first place.

We find out more every time we talk to other hosta people don't we!?!

I picked up 12 new hosta and a replacement for one I sold by mistake at my plant sale while I was on vacation with my sister. What a great trip.

Connie

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Connie!

You had a plant sale while you were on vacation with your sister?????

How could that be??

You're lucky all you lost was one hosta. If I left my DH and DIL in charge of my hostas while I was awol...I'd come home to a bunch of holes like a big piece of swiss cheese!

Char

• mirlilium
    10 years ago

Hola a todos! Estoy felíz, ya que me ragalaron rizomas de Ginko Craig Hosta, pero no sé cuándo plantarlos! Yo vivo en Argentina y ahora estamos en el mes de otoño y ya falta poco para el invierno que es el mes más frío. i please i help me ! Gracias!!

This post was edited by mirlilium on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 16:08