Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my hosta?

Posted by sunnygirl814 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 13:33

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my hosta and how to fix it?? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my hosta?

I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's not being eaten. Insects or slugs eat pieces of leaves. But the holes in your leaf are where the tissue has died and fallen out of the leaf.

Is the damage solely on the lighter portions?

o

Yes it is actually. I just happened to notice that! If that's the case, any idea what it is?

o

The discoloration pattern sort of makes me want to say it's a virus, but that's really just a guess. It could be something as simple as sun damage.

o

It's unlikely it's a virus. My first thought was foliar nematodes, but on second look, it looks more like either a cold damaged, sun damaged or water deprived area. I think whatever happened did so a while back. The tissue was damaged, turned light, then dark, then fell through.

Unless you see something to indicate it's spreading, I'd chalk it up to cold damage.

bk

o

I have never seen a hosta leaf turn anything but light or dark brown when it dies. Is it possible the purple is something accidentally sprayed or spilled?

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here