Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz6ohio

Sport Fishing

garyz6ohio
9 years ago

Just a couple sports I've found, either in my garden or while shopping. Queen Josephine's wide margined sport on the right. (Found also by A.Malloy in 2002 but never registered)

Comments (15)

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then there's the wider margined Fire and Ice that grows better, and is more upright.

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Came across this Streaked, spear shaped Liberty this year

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kind of a common find - the all yellow Summer Breeze

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally, the white centered sport of Allegan Fog that I found several years ago but never registered because I knew of at least two other ones already out there. The difference with mine is I found its as good if not better grower than the Allegan Fog plant that it sported from.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you are registering everything you find???

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Gary, how nice to see the sports displayed beside their mothers. I really like the Fire and Ice sport with the wider dark margins...a real looker!

You have a lot of very lovely hostas and grow them well. I always enjoy looking at your pics. :-)

Do you have any idea how long it took for each sport to develop? I'm just curious...For example, I had a June for 4 years before it sported. I'm always interested in these kinds of timelines, even though there is no rhyme or reason for them...just curious, is all.

Jo

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I gave the Allegan Fog sport to a friend and this person when talking to Zilis said it could (should) be registered and I gave him permission to register it if he so wanted. He talked about register it under the name Light in the Fog.

Jo - I feel all hostas have the capacity to mutate (sport). Tissue culture just increases the odds because the large number of cells that are produced and induced to grow. The Allegan Fog sports off the same side of the clump every two or three years. The yellow Summer breeze is more of a reversion than a true sport in my opinion. The Fire and Ice and Queen Josephine (Napoleon) are probably tets.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

interesting. tu

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Fun finds! I enjoy finding these little treasures. I just wish I could find more.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gary...I have these hostas as well with exception of AF...instead I have a London Fog. Last year an eye was sporting a distinct white margin...this year more so. I need to separate it this year as it looks like quite a bit of the plant is exhibiting the white edge.

I do hope your AF sport does get registered. ;-)

• garyz6ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't plan on registering any of these sports. I feel that there are too many look alike hostas out there already. I think I may know why Malloy didn't register Napoleon' but it would just be a guess on my part. My friend likes the A.F. sport so he can do with it as he pleases. I feel the Fire and Ice sport bears watching, but it reminds me of American Hero. But they are fun to "catch".

• User
    9 years ago

Gary, you have an interesting pastime, and a good eye to spot the sports. Plus, you are in the right part of the country.

This year I found three sports all greenies. One was with Brother Stefan but not part of its crown. I think it was a tissue culture cull that got skipped over.

Another greenie was two eyes and Summer Serenade sport, which I surgically removed, both plants doing nicely.

Third sport is solid green eye of the fragrant streaker Stargate, which I just noticed and will be removing it within a week. I have two Stargates, so will pot the good eyes together and put the greenie elsewhere to see if it is fertile or sterile....like Stargate is reported to be sterile.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

I would like to see that wide margined Queen Josephine when it gets more mature. That could be a really nice looking plant.

A white centered sport of Allegan Fog is pretty common and Shady Oaks sold that version as if it was the actual Allegan Fog for years. But mine look very different from the plant you have pictured which makes me think it could possibly be a totally different sport or maybe even a different plant mixed up in a batch of Allegan Fog. I don't really see the family resemblance so before your friend did anything with it they would want to double check that it has the same flowers and same flowering time so you know it is at least related.

They are always fun to watch, even if you don't ever end up doing anything with them :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Gary. Got some nice lookers there. They sure are fun to 'catch'. I've only caught a couple. Maybe this one bears watching. It's a solid piece growing from my Earth Angel. It was a single eye of solid color (yellow/gold/?) last season, and this year it actually has three eyes of solid color, which is half the plant. I had it growing in one of the shadiest parts of my yard, but seeing how the solid parts seem to want to grow, I potted it up and have started to gradually acclimate it to more sun. The roots are LARGE for how small the actual leaf mass is, and took a two-gallon pot to properly fit them. You never know, but like you said, they sure are fun. We'll see how it does. The thought of a large yellow/gold in it's parents' form does sound beautiful, though. I'll keep my expectations tempered. But, just one more reason why hostas are SOOOO fun.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Don B.