Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patann_gw

McTavish

Pat z6 MI
10 years ago

Pictures of your hostas this summer, please?
Pat

Comments (6)

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Hi Pat, Nice to hear from you. It's been a crazy year for me. We had a very late, wet spring. I was at my sisters for ten days and when I got back the slugs, cutworms and weeds had gone crazy. How discouraging. I've been battling that plus trying to deal with the roots in the woods. Why did I think that my trees wouldn't have bothersome roots?! We went from wet, lousy weather into 90-100 degree heat (which I love). Anyway, things are looking up, most parts look nice. Here are some pictures mostly from last night.

We've been expanding our west side balcony 8 ft. closer to the tree in order to have covered wood storage below. It's great because now we can walk from the balcony directly onto the lawn.

Also last night

I got the book on small hostas (Grenfell). I wanted to make a couple places to feature them more and see them better.

More soon

• User
    10 years ago

I have Grenfell's small hosta book too. Read through it about twice, so far. The Zilis Hostapedia is on my bedside table but most every other book is packed away until after our remodel. I'd hoped it would be completed by now, but the architect is gone off until August 8th. We will have easy access to an outdoor shower by the master bedroom deck doorway and I won't be calling the repairman to the washer for screws and coins and landscape fabric from DH's pockets stopping up the washer motor....sigh......he can stand outside and do his own laundry. Do you have an outdoor shower, Myrle? I highly recommend them. No garden is complete without one.

Sure have missed your presence on the forum. Welcome back.

• muktowngal
    10 years ago

Thanks ever so much for this thread. Myrle, I always cherish your photos and love to tiptoe through your garden.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Your garden is lovely, and your location gorgeous. What is the name of the hosta in the pic second from the bottom on the right side of the mini hostas, closer to the front? Cream centre with green edges.
    I really like what you have done with your minis in the last pic - it is very effective at highlighting the hostas instead of them getting lost in a 'normal' garden.

• irawon
    10 years ago

I'm battling the same problems, Merle.... slugs, cutworms, tree roots. I've started using spin out bags and I hope they work.

Your hosta pics are beautiful as usual.

• Pat z6 MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, thank you, McMerle.
    We've never had so much rain back here in Michigan. Hostas are happy so far but enough is enough.
    Pat

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio