Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

The Anything but Smooth-leaved Hostas Thread.........

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

....some call them rugose, corrugated, seer-suckered, bumpled, wrinkled, creased, contorted, crinkled, puckered, or dimpled....whatever you call it, lets see yours......

A couple to get it started-

Blueberry Muffin

Great Expectations

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: List: PUCKERED-LEAVED HOSTAS

Comments (68)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Goober is on the list. Hooray!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Another Dick Ward.

Don B.

• HoorayforHostas
    9 years ago

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

One of my most rugose: Clear Fork River Valley

• irawon
    9 years ago

Zounds dates back to my renewed interest in hostas and is on the list.

Edited to change picture which shows the bumps better.

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:06

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bressingham Blue

Paul

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I'll follow that with a sprinkling of...
    POWDER BLUE

• north53 Z2b MB
    9 years ago

I'm going to show one of my no name hostas. I have several of these that I grew from a package of seeds. I had visions of getting a variety of hosta, but of course that didn't happen. I know better now. But I like these blue corrugated ones.
    So please forgive me, I know you don't like the no names. Maybe we can give it a name?

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

It might not have a name, but it sure looks a lot like some of the best blues out there...

I'd call it Bear Creek

:P

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Deep Blue Sea Close up

Tokudama Flavocircinalis

Ghost Spirit leaves

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my, I am feeling weak and susceptible tonight. I better go to bed and make my comments tomorrow.

There is some serious hosta beauty in this thread. I love the rugose and robust, you can just about FEEL THE ENERGY pulsing through those leaves.

Oh what the heck, I have some blues that look tough as nails but not blue as elsewhere seen.

Black Hills (Alex Summers alongside and LS Lollipop behind)

Johnny Angel

Little Hobber rough and tough

Aspen Gold

Clear Fork River Valley...one of the BEST

Eye Catcher

Annabel Lee

High Tide and Blue Hawaii, 2 for 1 shot

Tijuana Brass

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Allegan Fog

="http:>

Candy Dish with a Bridegroom seedling off to the right

Emerald Ruff Cut

The King

Neptune

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 2:52

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Warwick Comet

Paul

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Old Glory. I got it from Hallson's in the fall of 2013 and put it in a pot sunk into the ground for a while. It was inelegantly transferred to this hole on a mild day in the middle of the winter and it has not looked back. It is kicking azz.

This post was edited by zkathy on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 17:50

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Sugar Snap. Got it at Green Hill during the Dixie Regional this year. It's growing like gangbusters!
    Kathy

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Cadillac

Spartacus

My favorite Pearly Gates

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:32

• irawon
    9 years ago

Midas Touch was rugose right away, not like some other hostas, where the rugosity takes time to develop.

Jeesh, I hate that disappearing pictures thing! What makes that happen?

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Love Pat

Frances Williams

Thunderbolt

• irawon
    9 years ago

For God's sake, just as soon as I posted, the question marks disappeared and the pictures reappeared.

Rainforest Sunrise.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Surprised to see Little sunspot on the rugose list, but bumps it does have.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I am usually just a lurker here but this post caught me. I think because I don't have a single smooth leaved hosta.

A couple that are doing well in my young garden.

Brim Cup

and my fav so far 'September Sun'

SCG

• irawon
    9 years ago

Cup Of Grace

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Hyuga Urijo

Kabitan

Savanna Supreme

GInsu Knife

• User
    9 years ago

Kate, it seems you like the long slender leaves with pointy ends. Have a look at Harpoon if you do not have it. It is a world class hosta, Paul in MN has a gorgeous Harpoon and that is what I hope mine looks like when it matures.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Brother Stefan

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Y'all left out Olive Bailey Langdon !

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Oldies are goodies , sieboldiana Elegans

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Manhattan !

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Let's have a Garden Party

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

A Climax for rugosity

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

4 the MSU fans, Spartan Glory

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Wylde Green Cream

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Maui Buttercups

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Spellbound

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Time for some Summer Lovin

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Move over Clear Fork River Valley, Innovation wants some elbow room.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I wish I still ywas just a lurker, I bought 5 more today and niw think I am an addict. My poor roses will hate competition!!

SCG

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

Frances Williams having an identity crisis.

• User
    9 years ago

SouthCountryGuy, once you let hostas grab your gardener's heart, there is no turning back. It is a condition most everyone here willingly trades for the same-old-same-old in the garden. Cannot beat a good hosta.

MaggiePie, hello up there in the cold country. I love the gold leaves on your Frances Williams. If there is dessication I sure do not see much. That is a big hosta!

• maggiepie_gw
    9 years ago

@
    Irawon, I got my Lakeside Prophecy and Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled from Hosta Choice Gardens last year.

Here's a pic of it today.
    LP has not done much this year, I think it might have almost died during the winter in garage.

@moc, thanks for the greeting, my FW doesn't have any dessication so far, which is surprising as I keep forgetting to water it. I gave half of it to my neighbour some years ago and it is 3 times as big as mine.

Another non smoothie - TokudamaFlavocircinalis

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rhino Hide

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pucker Up

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

One year old Jimmy Crack Corn quickly become a favourite...can take a lot of sun without flinching at all!

9 years ago

New Rainforest Sunrise replacement...anything but smooth! Brightest hosta in my collection today! I like it in more sun than shade, where the colours become subdued. It screams summer in this pic! :-)

9 years ago

Spilt Milk replacement - can't wait for this one to mature!

• User
    9 years ago

Jo, how long have you grown your Jimmy Crack Corn? I've had mine since 2012 and it does not have the same shape leaves as yours, nor any corrugation to speak of. I'm concerned.

However, I looked at the HLibrary and first picture looks like mine. Second picture looks like yours. So.....they change that much when they mature? Or, is yours still a young thing?

It is a sport of Piedmont Gold, supposed to be a ML sized plant. Mine seems to be stuck in the small/medium range. Of course, yours seems to be in the ground, mine in a pot. It does make a difference to some hosta. This might be one of them. It was until this spring in one of the poorly draining pots with built-on saucers, even with holes drilled all in it. JCC is one of many I had to bare root and start over this spring, in new pots with mix containing about half pine bark.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Maggiepie, thanks for the info about Hosta Choice. Your LPF is beautiful and I've been thinking that since it has the rugosity of LP, why get both if you have limited space in your beds.

Lakeside Foaming Sea and Mount Tom (both on the rugose list) finally bulked up this spring.

This post was edited by irawon on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:12

9 years ago

Mocc, thank you for noticing Jimmy Crack Corn!

Yes, it is now growing in the ground, a little over a month. When I bought it the summer of 2013 it already had been grown on a year in its nursery pot at Hosta Fever. As you can see from that pic, the leaves were still fairly adolescent although they were large...rippled edge apparent already.

It remained in its nursery pot over winter until early this June, when I finally planted it. It receives direct sun from sun- up until 2:00 p.m. and obviously is very happy there. I love the substance of this one and it is taking on more gold. That colour is bang on!

>> first pic is current, in ground
    >> second pic of JCC growing in pot - leaves looking same as in ground
    >> third pic of 2013 new acquisition but showing some characteristics

I hope I've answered your questions, Mocc. It was the gracefully rippled edge and colour, and size of leaf that drew my attention last year. It's attributes are unusual in a golden-yellow hosta. I just had to have it! :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, Jimmy Cracked Corn looks totally different in your garden. I'm stunned at the way MINE looks so narrow leafed and not rugose at all. I got it in 2012, you'd think it would be more advanced than it is.

Thanks, Jo. I'll keep your pictures in my clippings to remind myself to watch more closely.