Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paul's Glory question

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 14:01

A few weeks ago I bought PG at a Horticulture Society sale. It was held in a building and everything was under flourescent lights. I saw PG hosta and it was true to color. However, since I brought it home and planted it in my dappled shade garden, under pines, it has gone completely green. Is PG one that needs more sun to keep the color? Does it change color during summer? I can't figure out why it has changed to solid green. Any ideas as to why this happened? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paul's Glory question

no hosta should change colors is a few weeks ..

and i dont think PG greens up ...

a picture would sure help ...

ken

o

Doesn't sound like Paul's Glory to me.

Steve

o

picture????

check jim matthews.. and guardian angel.. for white centers.. which green up ... among others i am sure

ken

o

Look in the Hosta Library, there are PGs which green up. Mine do not green up in semi shade, I have none in full sun.
Bernd

o
RE: Paul's Glory picture

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 16:21

Sorry it took so long to get a picture up. I don't know why this would revert to all green or if it really is PG. It did have the edge on it when I bought it. Marg
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That sure doesn't look like PG right now. I have our 12 yr old PG in full sun all day...it can take it. Great color in sun. I'd get it out of the shade. It may turn true but it's one that likes the sun.

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 17:02

Thanks. That's what I was wondering since they had it under flourescent lights at the sale and it was PG coloring. Marg

o

Check out Fortunei Albopicta. Though if you bought only a couple of weeks it likely would be green already.

Paul

This is about midway through change, it starts bright green

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 18:40

FA is close to what it looked like when I saw it but the edge was thiner. FA is really nice. Do you keep yours in the shade? Marg

o

Mine is in fairly deep shade.

Paul

Here it is in May

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 20:10

That may very well be it! It has the same thinner edge but I under those lights it was hard to see the true color of the inside of the leaf. I'll watch and see what it comes up like next year. Thanks. Marg

o

We must have at least a half dozen PG's here in varying light conditions and have never seen any change of variagation.

Perhaps it's something zonal?

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here