Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

AHS Garden Judge process

User
9 years ago

As a member of the AHS since 2012 I think I qualify on longevity of membership...in good standing so far anyway.

I wanted to vote on performance of the ones in my garden. The Awards Ballot which came in May made it sound simple to do.

Now that I've downloaded the application required to fill out before I can vote on the 2014 Benedict Garden Performance Awards, I should send in this application.

And therein lies the problem.
In total, I've only seen ONE HOSTA GARDEN. Pictures of gardens do not count. MY garden does not count. Holy Mole, Batman, I'm out of business here.

Instead of sending in this application and my choices based on what I see here, I'll simply tell you guys my choices.

Honorable Mention Award.--
(vote for a max of 5 listed below)
Flower Power (2011)
Marquis (2011)
Mistress Mabel (2013)
Summer Breeze (2014
Victory (2014)

Award of Merit -
vote for a max of 3...observed in my region (i.e. my garden)
Dance With Me (2014)
Ringtail (2014)
Sunshine Glory (2014)

Benedict Garden Performance Medal -
vote for 1
Manhattan (2012)

(Too bad about choosing only ONE on the Benedict award, because that was a tough choice to make.)

So if you got the same ballot and cannot officially vote, why not make your choices and post them here? UNofficially.
I am in a minority and it won't be that many people in areas where few gardens exist. Maybe myself, Paula and a few others. Our Mobile Botanical Gardens has zero hosta. I also have not attended any conventions, no tour gardens therefore. I know, I'm so non social. A recluse.

See what YOUR choices would be.

Comments (8)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

I have seen other gardens and am just as glad I can't vote. There's a "send in your favorites" poll, and I've been staring at it. I go through the garden and love about half, so it's like asking me "who's your favorite child"?

I'll have to think some more...................

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MadPlanter, that one was difficult for me too. How can I not vote for Mama plantaginea? It is my first hosta love.
    I simply filled it out with what is doing nicely here NOW, and sealed it up and put it in the mail. I don't want to remember what I voted on so there is no guilt for not choosing all the others. This year there are so many of them looking FINE, how can I choose one child over another. I know just what you mean, MP. Me too.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Aaaahh. The world is a good place when people care about this stuff.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Life is good, AnnieGolden. True true.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

OK, Mocc. Here are my choices for all three levels.

HM: Mourning Dove, Dance With Me, Sunshine Glory, Dancing Queen, Prairie Sky

AOM: Key West, Love Pat, Hoosier Dome

Benedict Medal: Sum and Substance

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Firstly, let me suggest that everyone should join the AHS. You get great color journals and online journal and a discount from quality nurseries if you are a new member.

But since not everyone is, here is the list of those plants who are up for the Benedict Medal this year. Just so we are clear the Award is for GARDEN PERFORMANCE. It's not for your personal favorite that grows at a glacial pace or burns in the least bit of sun, (cough, Great Expectations, cough).

Here's the list. Each of these has already won an Honorable Mention and an Award of Merit. Which one would you choose for the Benedict Medal.

Benedict Garden Performance Medal Vote for (ONE 1),
    Vote only for cultivars observed in your region and/or national convention gardens.. (Year listed to right of cultivar name indicates first year on ballot at this level.)

Atlantis 2012, Olive Bailey Langdon 2011, Blue Angel 2013, Robert Frost 2012, Brave Amherst 2013, Satisfaction 2011, Cathedral Windows 2011, Silver Bay 2011, Hanky Panky 2012, Sum and Substance 2013, JourneyâÂÂs End 2012, Sun Power 2013, Leading Lady 2012, Tiny Tears 2012, Manhattan 2012, Wolverine 2012, Millennium 2012

Happy voting,

Steve

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Steve, thank you for this information. I'm not an AHS member, but got onto the AHS website for the first time and enjoyed stepping through the list of previous Benedict winners. Even though my hosta collection is small, I have many of the previous winners, all purchased at local nurseries, none online. So, in promotion and recognition of superior cultivars, the Benedict program ensures that people such as myself, who are not knowledgeable hobbyists, are given good shopping choices.

While on the AHS website, I was unable to find a description of the performance criteria. Specifically, I was thinking about your comments regarding personal favorites. How do they balance notions of beauty with growing like a weed?

Thank you to Moccasin and Steve for this thread - it helps us space-constrained gardeners make good choices.

Christine

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

if performance means speed to size Atlantis hands down

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting