Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

h.'Sum and Substance' family

in ny zone5
10 years ago

I have several of the kids of hosta 'Sum and Substance'. My larger of two S&S is now 28 inches tall with leaves 13x15 inches, both are more than 10 years old, the others I planted only 3 to 4 years ago, 'Winter Snow' this year. All were multi-eye plants when planted. 'Parhelion' and 'Sum it Up' are the same size. The others need to grow some more to be full size. Here is one S&S.

Which other kids of S&S do you have?
Bernd

Comments (30)

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my h.'Parhelion'. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hosta 'Sum of All', Bernd.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is hosta 'Titanic' which looks similar to 'Sum of All'
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hosta 'Sum it Up'. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hosta 'Vim and Vigor' an all-green kid of S&S.
    Bernd

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I almost bought one of these yesterday! I love how they look.

What is nice about these is that there is never a place you can't fit a Hosta..lol
    I just may get one now.

Mike

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is my last one, hosta 'Winter Snow', just planted this year, already 2 eyes. This will be in a little more sun, but all of the S&S family like sun.
    Bernd

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Mike, I always find a place in the back somewhere. I also like large Blues or Variegated plants, I can see them immediately, like from 20 ft away. Bushes and trees are big, so these are larger too and can relate to the larger landscape. Plus I will not step on them accidentally as I do with minis and markers.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Bernd, your 'Vim and Vigor' looks fantastic. I had a very small one last year, but it disappeared during the winter. After seeing yours, I want to get another and try again.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, I like to imagine how that landscape will look in 5 years, 'Vim and Vigor should be great looking then. Actually it lives next to a 'Blue Mammoth' which is growing faster and is bigger now. Can't wait! 3 to 4ft tall plants! Large plants with large leaves in the 'great white north' look tropical to me, I like that!
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Bernd, out of 'Sum of All' 'Titanic' and 'Sum it Up', is there one that you prefer over the other two? I know they all still have some growing to do, but since you grow all three, I thought I'd get your opinion, if you have one. I have a 'Sum of All' and I do like it quite a bit.

Regards,
    Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Sum & Substance and its family are some if my favorites and yours are all growing well. I can't grow Sum of All in my garden unless its in full shade. My Titanic looses its edges in full sun.

• User
    10 years ago

My Winter Snow is nice looking but yours is beautiful, Don. Good job. Those leaves are a lot larger than mine. Perhaps I need to feed it, since it is in the ground, one of three (so far) in my entire hosta garden that happens to be "planted."

One of the S&S family that I have, besides WS, is Fragrant Gold.
    Just got it this year from Van Wade.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, 'Sum of All' is great as a yellow bordered S&S, but mine has not developed much height yet. My h.'Sum It Up' is a fast grower, but gets more sun than the other 2. Actually 'Sum It Up' was bought with the label 'Sum and Substance' on it, 2 or 3 eyes in a pot. It was green with thick white streaks then, probably a S&S TC. I found it in a farm supply store while Sport hunting. The next year it looked like 'Sagae' growing next to it. Now it looks like 'Sum it Up' to me.
    Bernd

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nice family photos you have there, Bernd. Thanks for taking the time.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Here's my 'Sum-Cup-o-Joe', another of S&S's kids. Like you, Bernd, I look forward to seeing my S&S, and it's sports, in 3-5 years from now.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, that is good looking. A large hosta with those 13x15 inch and bigger leaves in a few years will be wonderful to look at. Bernd

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have several forms of S&S,including;S&S;Sum of All;Vim and Vigor; Final Summation;and this one;Parhelion. I like all forms of S&S,and Janice even gave me a division of Lady Isobel Barnett,on my way through Ohio. My local nursery has Titanic,so I may add that one also. Here is my Parhelion this year;a hosta I got because of pics of Janices. Phil

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, yes you always show your very nice and large 'Parhelion', mine might make yours' size some day. I might have bought mine because I saw a picture of yours.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Phil, you must have some GREAT local nurseries in your neck of the woods! All mine offer are HVX-infested 'Sum and Substance' LOL!!

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Don,I have never found any virused S&S's here. I trust my local nursery,and have never found a bad one there. It does help if you know what HVX looks like when you go hosta shopping. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's good; Glad to hear your local place has good selection AND safe plants, Phil.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What you see in local nurseries and other stores not necessarily will be the same next year HVX wise in your garden.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

My Final Summation (2nd year).

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Bernd: That's for sure.

Hostanista: 'Final Summation' looks great. Is it a fast grower? It looks good-sized already.

Don B.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Don B.: FS is in its 2nd year in my garden and there's not really a huge difference in size from last year when I planted it. I may end up moving it in a year or two if it doesn't shoot up more eyes because (silly me) that's a small maple tree right beside it. I wasn't thinking when I dug that hole. I've read Ken's ranting about maple trees and hostas not mixing....

This post was edited by Hostanista on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:50

• woodnative
    10 years ago

Can't leave out 'Blizzard'.....photo today but purchased only this spring. Already has grown a bit.

• don_in_colorado
    7 years ago

I can't wait to see how big these plants get this year, Bernd!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I follow your thought Don, you lovely man! I, too added to my S&S family. Picked up a Winter Snow last year (it won/tied the 2014 Top Gun contest I ran here and coincidentally, your Goodness Gracious tied, Bernd!) and I am excited to see it unfurl this year. It has grown since last year, gaining an additional 8 pips over last year's 4 (haven't checked it the last two days, lol).

I have it growing in sun from about 11 a.m. until sunset.

edited to correct pip count...10 over last year!!! I thought this family had slowish growth! Even my S&S has gained 4 this year! Must be a good year for growth spurts :D!

...lovely outside at 8:00am - birds chirping, sun shining, hot coffee in hand, pips galore - LIFE IS GOOD!