Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone5shade

How to get this Hosta to thrive

zone5shade
11 years ago

Hi Hosta lovers,

I divided this hosta from the shady clay in front of my parents house. I have no idea what variety it is. It never looked healthy at my parents', so I though I would play the hero and bring it to my house, give it a bit more sun, some good soil and have a beautiful mound in a years time. Now it is 3 years later, and I'm only doing marginally better than my parents.

Any thoughts?

Comments (12)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

My first thought is that it isn't a good grower. First, it didn't grow for your folks. Second, it's a streaker. I don't think they are generally known for being good growers. Most of my white centered hosta don't seem to be great growers. Someone may have a better answer, though.

bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Water it, water it and then water it some more. As long as your soil drains well enough try to drown it. That might be enough. At this time of year I would give it some short term fert. No slow release right now but a quick shot of Miracle Grow liquid as a soil drench would work. If you use organic ferts either fish emulsion or Espoma 10-10-10.

If you think the bunnies are chewing on it then treat it with a repellant like Bobex. I'm not sure of the cultivar name. Did the center tend to green up as the season progressed? It could be Americana. The point is we don't know the genetic potential for vigor or size. Still good cultural practices will help it to reach that potential.

White centered varieties can sometimes be tricky because they need enough sun to grow, but not too much so that the white parts will burn. Morning sun is best.

You may get some new growth this year, or you may not. That doesn't matter. If you are watering it enough, it will be building reserves for next year. You should see an increase in the number of eyes or pips that emerge next spring. BTW, next Spring give it a slow release fert like Osmocote 14-14-14 on a cold day in March.

Steve

• zone5shade
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the good advice. I've been spoiled by my other no-maintenance hostas. It hadn't occurred to me to water and feed this hosta and treat it special. I thought it just needed the right conditions. But you are correct that variegated leaves generally = more work. Actually, I think I have the hose out there with a slow drip to that bed right now. I'll have to keep that up.

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

It looks like Undulata Univittata (the white and green one). When stressed it will get misted/streaky, so yes, it isn't too happy right now. If this spot is hot/sunny/dry then maybe move it someplace a little better but if it is always dry then some water might help give it a jump start. Are there tree root problems here? That might be causing some of the problem too.

• zone5shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all hit the nail on the head with this one. I have been watering and caring for my hosta and it has been doing much better. I also moved it away from tree roots. I will try to post a photo soon.

• User
    10 years ago

Hi, Zone5shade!
    It isn't often that we get treated to "the rest of the story." Really, it is quite an occasion to find out what happens to a plant after the advice is given.

VERY happy to be treated to a photo update of the hosta.
    Welcome back to the Hosta Forum!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice to hear about the hosta success stories. Yes PLEASE post a pic of the hosta; don't tease us!

Don B.

• zone5shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the photo as promised. It's not the best example of before and after because I JUST transplanted it to a new location last week. It was doing well enough that i could divide clump into three divisions you see here. You can definitely tell there are more leaves. All I did was water it a bit more. Before it was such a tender plant. Now it's much sturdier and fuller. Since I amended the soil with compost during transplant I think even better things will happen. Once she fills out I will have to post again!

Here is a link that might be useful: I made a blog post about this and my other hostas

• User
    10 years ago

Looks like your transplant is going to be just fine. I visited your blog, you are on the right track. Thanks for tying the story together....love to hear a success story. That white curly one is absolutely gorgeous!

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

yay for the happy ending!

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

OMG, just saw your blog post! Did you post that beautiful white centered one here for an ID??

• zone5shade
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the positive support. I'm blushing with pride over the white one you like. I will post a picture of it to get an ID.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022