Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindycrna72

For those of you who use the stainless plant markers

Cindy
9 years ago

I bought 100 of the stainless plant markers about 2-3 years ago. The nice heavy ones http://www.kincaidgardens.com/content.cgi and a label maker with clear tape. When a few plants died that had been marked I retrieved the stakes to make new labels for new plants but alas, dynamite couldn't couldn't remove the labels. Not Goo, not scraping with a knife, not adhesive remover. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Comments (9)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Cindy, have you contacted the folks at Kincaid garden markers? They would likely have the solution to that issue. Please let us know what they suggest, as I'm sure many have those exact garden markers. As luck would have it, I JUST bought my first batch.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what label maker???

i have removed brothers ptouch clear labels with a heat gun.... or left on asphalt on a hundred degree day ... and probably a hair dryer ... but i never tried that ..

what it did... was make the label rubbery enough that i could lift a corner with a razor blade ... careful not to scratch the surface... and then peel it off with needlenose pliers ... do i need to tell you to be careful.. they will be hot ...

after that.. and they cooled down.. goo be gone.. or some such.. removed the adhesive ... but they had cooled completely by then.. i didnt try vaporizing and breathing whatever was in the goo ...

the point is... is that the clear label is not allowing the adhesive remover to get to the adhesive... so get rid of the label ...

do not try to scrape them off cold steel with a safety razorblade .... you will scratch the heck out of the stainless ... been there.. done that .... but only once ...

seems that the clear labels harden over long periods in the sun ...

if you turn the label bubbly... you probably heated it too much ... [now that i think about it.. that might have been my first try with a blowtorch... lol]

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know why the steel marker would have any clue how to remove a label they did not sell ...

if anyone.. talk with the label peeps ...

ken

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Well, since the outdoor labels are paired with the steel markers so much so that the Kincaid folks actually sell the PTouch Label Maker PLUS the labels, figured they'd be knowledgeable on the matter of removing the labels from their markers.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I would guess that boiling water would make the label soft, take care that you are handling metal that is cooling from boiling temp. You could probably leave the legs on and dip in long enough till adhesive softens.......off to try a test....and back....boiled a pot of water and put them in at near boiling (193 degrees) for a minute....not too hot to handle and started an edge with my fingernail and peeled off virtually clean. May take longer if mine wasn't as affixed as yours.

Paul

• Cindy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a P-Touch. I didn't realize Kincaid sold them as I bought mine rebuilt off ebay. I will try the heat method and if that doesn't work, I will try contacting Kincaid. Thanks, folks! I will report back.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Kinkaid sells replacement plates for a reasonable price so I would just get those if I couldn't get the labels off.
    Vanessa

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Cindy, hope this is okay to add to your discussion.

Kincaid is offering a new modified version with a narrower post that is more competitive with zinc marker prices. 100 'A' style 10" are 68-69 cents each vs older ones ('P' style) with heavier posts are about 94 cents each for a hundred delivered to my address. They also added a style with label angled up and back from the posts similar to the zinc style....ones I use angle down and forward.

Just passing along for your info, I have no connection to Kincaid, I just like their product.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Kincaid Plant Markers

• Cindy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul, I bought 100 of the 12" "M" style at a little more than $1 each. But thank you all for the heat idea. I used a candle lighter to the back of the plate until the plate got really warm, almost hot and the label peeled right off. This label had been on for 2 years so glad to have a solution. Paul, I think you were the one who pointed me to Kincaid. Their stainless labels are the best! Very heavy gauge.