Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

who does NOT own a watering wand???

well??? .. i have at least 4 ...

the 5 footer is nearly useless ... can barely lift it when its filled with water ... its stored next to all those other useless garden tools i spent money on ...

ken

Comments (27)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have a short one,but I only use it near the house,where I have a hose bib. Phil

• socks
    9 years ago

We had one long ago. As far as I know, it's only helpful for hard-to-reach places like hanging baskets, which we never have. I'm sure there are people who love their wands.

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

I never bothered with one ... but I do have a sprinkler system :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I have at least three. They are all less than 3'. It helps get the water under the leaves of my hosta and to the soil. It also helps with hanging baskets.

I have a young friend who loves to help me water. I keep telling him over and over to water the dirt, not the leaves.

bk

• mori1
    9 years ago

Not me, I use a watering can.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

No watering wand, but on my imaginary wish list is a cistern or two. Plants do not like our city water, AND the city's fees for sewer service are based on water consumption and that is annoying in the summer when 99% of the water being used in going on the gardens. Even with heavy mulch, watering is unavoidable.

Hmmm. I think I just hijacked your thread a little bit.

So, what made you start a thread about watering wands? Is it really dry up there in (had to look up what MI stands for) Michigan?

• esther_b
    9 years ago

I have one about 2.5' long. I love it. It allows me to tailor the shape of the spray so as to most efficiently water various areas of my garden. Mine has a nice sponge grip handle and a small button which allows me to keep the spray on without having to constantly squeeze the deadman's button.

• User
    9 years ago

It's tough love in my yard - drink it from the sky or learn to do without.

(Unfortunately here in eastern Iowa, the plants are probably drunk with all the rain and flooding we've had. Better enjoy it now, plant friends - hot dry August is not far away.)

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

None here. I've killed several and decided it just wasn't worth it. I have a few hand sprayers, but that's it.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

We have had 2-3 inches a week of rain since about the middle of March.. sometimes that much in a day...

The garden hose has been just laying there like a snake ...

Oh, and yeah no wand just a variable nozzle that adjusts from mulch to fillet.

This post was edited by leafwatcher on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 17:39

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have these small aluminum shutoff valves on hoses, and with just the right position the water flow through them mimics natural rain. Those shoot farther than the wands and give more water. Usually I did it with overhead sprinklers this year though. Bernd

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

One long, one short and one short I gave to my mom and she loved it. Wouldn't be without one but I have returned some that had a crappy spray pattern. They didn't have the nice, heavy, gentle flow that I needed.

tj

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I don't have a wand either, just a spray nozzle on the end of the hose. I also have a sprinkling system. If I relied on rainwater, everything would be dead! It rarely rains here in the summer...when it does, the weathermen are reporting rainfall amounts in the tenths of an inch. It's pretty exciting if we get a half inch of rain. I would love it if we got a good rainstorm once a week but that"s not gonna happen here.

Linda

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

No need, I saw a few listed for $40 + the other day. Used them when I worked at a local nursery, most of us were not fans. I'd rather spent the $ on soaker hoses, or hostas.

• irawon
    9 years ago

We have one water wand but only because my husband won it and it's being used only because the hose nozzle from last year went missing.

Time for a yard sale, Ken. Somebody's bound to want a 5' water wand.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

What everyone needs is one of those water cannons they use at a ski resort to make snow.. they just power that thing out in the air and the snow comes a tumbling down. I bet one centrally located would easily do most peoples yards, and the neighbors... and when I think of drawing a bead on a rabbit with one ;)

sweet lady propane.....

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

There might be an ancient one in the garage; I'm not sure. I don't need one. I use recycled milk or cat litter jugs: set 'em near the base of a plant, fill them with water from the hose. Poke a pinhole an inch from the bottom and let the water flow.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

two. hate them both.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

I have soaker hoses.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I've had a couple in the past that ended up in the garbage. This year I started more container planting and wanted a wand to better water them. My DW got me a nice one for Father's Day, so far so good.

• smorz
    9 years ago

I had one... I received as a gift, tried it once... didn't impress me as useful. I don't do baskets, I only water my veggies n new plants.
    Im pretty good at stickin my thumb over the end of a hose n getting the desired spray I want.
    Im thinking t would spoil my hostas to be watered by imitation rain n they might start expecting sound effects, too.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

I don't. What's a watering wand??

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I thought the 5 footers were for cleaning the gutters???

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

harry potter has a watering wand.

I have two. They leak at the seal and don't shut off. It's a space shuttle o-ring issue ⦠And it was supposed to be a good one ⦠At least I thot B&D was a good brand â¦

you screw the wand on the end of a hose. Some wands allow different sprays with a rotating nozzle. Most have an on/off lever that allows you to close off the water whilst you walk back to the house and shut off the hose at the spigot.

dave

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I don't own a watering wand. I do own a hose - and it works for me.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I don't own one. I'm not a real gardener.

Don B.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

None here.

I rarely water my hosta or the other plants. I have good loam with just enough clay to keep things growing. Lots of mulch too.