Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shipabe

Help, what's wrong with my hostas.

shipabe
9 years ago

I've grown hostas for many years. This year some hostas have a yellowish color in the veins, they start out OK but the veins turn a yellowish color. Only happens to the hostas in my greenhouse. Checked all my gardens none show the same yellow veins signs.
In the pic is Elizabeth Campbell that I replanted.
Can someone know what's going on.
Thanks

Comments (15)

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I'm guessing there's some sort of deficiency in the soil. Have you had the soil tested?

• shipabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm using the same soil as previous years, a blend of top soil (as in bags of black earth), peat moss, perlite.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Do a close up of a leaf. I would like to see if there is any bleeding from the veins.

I looked at the Elizabeth Campbell in the hosta library and the third one down has that same kind of look.

How long since you fertilized? The reason I asked was that someone posted an odd photo and someone (Steve, I think) suggested it needed fertilizing.

Seeing a closer look at the leaf would definitely help, though.

bk

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Yes, a leaf close up would be helpful. It might be virus, but the color changes seems too neat and evenly distributed for a virus.

You said that these are in the Greenhouse. Are they in the ground in the Greenhouse? Have you fertilized them at all? You seem to have several Elizabeth Campbell plants are they the only ones with this color change? Do you know the pH of your soil? Do you have shade cloth covering your Greenhouse in the summer?

Steve

• shipabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I grow them in my garden, then in the spring dig them up and put them in pots in my greenhouse (for sale).
    I also have some Blue Moon, a Striptease, a Lunar Moth that shows the same discoloration.
    You mention the pH in my soil, would a higher or lower level of pH cause this discoloration of the leaves?

We're affected by "Arthur" so the next chance I get, I'll take a closer pic.
    Thanks for the response.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did it have a white center earlier in the season.. like EC was supposed to have???

i dont see any evidence of the green edge ..

how do you rule out transitory color change on this one???

ken

• shipabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Arthur" gone. Here's a close-up of leave discoloration.
    Moonlight Sonata.

• shipabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a close-up of Striptease.

Ken, yes EC came up with her white center in the spring.

I'm just hoping it's something to do with my potting soil. None in my garden show these yellowish sign.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I know this is a weird thought. It looks like the opposite of iron chlorosis to me. We have very alkaline soil and water. The veins of the plant get green and the spaces between get yellow. It happens here to trees, vines, grasses and all other kinds of plants. Adapted plants are recommended. (Maple trees, pin oaks, white oaks, etc. don't work here.)

I just snapped a couple of photos to show you what I mean. This was all I could find on short notice. The first is my neighbor's shrub. You can see the yellowed leaves with green veins. The next is a rogue passionflower sprout with iron chlorosis. I can apply some Ironite to it and it will green right up (I will pull it up instead). The last is a passionflower that looks correct. I always had this problem with a Sweet Autumn Clematis that was in front of the compost pile. I also put a handful of Ironite in my hosta pots from time to time.

I'm a chef, so what I'm saying is just a guess with no specific knowledge or education behind it. It's just odd that it looks so similar and exactly the opposite.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I'm interested in this and must post to get replies via email. I have nothing to add to the discussion.

• shipabe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I would do a soil test if I were you. That is much too uniform a pattern to be a virus. It could be iron deficiency or it could be a pH that was too high or too low and thus a nutrient deficiency. Do you have an extension service nearby or a land grant University? They will test soil for you. Have you fertilized at all? I'd put a little 10-10-10. The cheap, quick acting stuff in one of those pots and see if it clears up.

Steve

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Let us know. I'm curious.

bk

• shipabe
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just an update on my hosta problem from last July. Took out the soil from the roots and replanted them all at the end of July 2014. This year they all came up OK.

I'm no expert, but I believe the ratio of peat to black soil was way too high.

Thank you all for your input.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH