Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

composted bark

Planting medium for hostas that has been recommended here includes bark mulch.

I am having a difficult time locating composted bark here in Ontario. Arnt's sells a pine mulch that they say have been aged from 1 to 3 years - would this work?

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I don't think mine is composted. Just little bits and pieces. got pics of what you can get?

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I don't, just naming what I can find on the Internet.

Uk-hostaman said composted bark is what he uses to add to his medium.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Coast of Maine sells a composted bark product. Most of us just use regular pine bark mulch (fines not chunks) in container mixes.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Coast of Maine - products

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Steve but nothing within 50 miles of my postal code. :(

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is too bad because I just checked out their website and their product looks great.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hi Paula.

If you don't find what you are looking for............I've heard of others using orchid growing medium mixed with their potting soil as a growing medium for their hosta. Bought a hosta couple years back....when it came time to plant it in the ground, I found little bits of bark mixed in among the roots. My brain registered this info at the time but I never gave it much thought until I read your post. It obviously had added ingredients to its potting soil.

P.S. have you been to the "Woods" yet? My daughters and I are planning a trip back there too. :)

• Jagd51
    10 years ago

Paula, I've been using "mini" pine bark nuggets here in Ontario for a couple of years, and they work fine for me. Mix one third potting soil, one third compost and one third mini nuggets. The recipe came from someone here on the forum if I remember right. I make up a wheelbarrow full at a time. I think the bark is mainly to keep the soil from compacting, but whatever the reason, the mixture seems to work.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe the formula was from uk, that is what I have been trying to replicate.
    Arnt's composted pine bark is what I bought and it looks great. My new garden is almost finished (the rock wall edge part) and next is the soil amendment part. My soil is sandy so I am adding the pine bark mulch, mushroom farm compost and the following:
    "Gro-Max: formulated for optimal root growth with a blend of compost, aged bark, peat, sand and topsoil. It is balanced for pH, water holding capacity and air porosity." That write up is from their website.
    The new garden location gets sun from morning until 3pm so I have to provide some shade so I was thinking of moving my Ginkgo to that bed.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Paula, I found that my Ginko Craig ended up with crisped up edges from sun exposure (sun from 11ish to 2ish) and the green was not that attractive, bleached out looking...so I moved it to more shade...doing a lot better and all leaf edges are lovely.

Sounds like you are good to go with the composted bark. Looking forward to seeing pics when you're done? :)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting