Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maow_gw

Please help ID these hosta...

maow
9 years ago

Hey y'all hosta lovers & gurus,
Happy to join the hosta group. This is my first post to the hosta forum, I am from On, Canada, and have been recently inflicted with the hosta bug, obsession is an understatement! I had filled 2 small notebooks with hosta sizes, colors, families and companion plants and made countless floor plans for my garden trying to fit in and design all the ones that I saw on the internet. I have been lurking for months researching which cultivars others like and experienced with their hostas before I made the plunge to get more kinds. Fir months I have been silently enabled by you all and now have more than what I need. All those trips to the garden center have resulted with a few happy surprises and bunch of mistags and NOIDs.

Please help identify if you can...
Noid #1- leaf color and leaf size looks exactly like brim cup, but a little thicker substance than my young brim cup, could it be because this is a just a bigger plant? And what is that browning at the edges on the leaves (top edge if photo) is that what you guys call the drawstring effect?

This post was edited by maow on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 22:47

Comments (20)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

That looks like Minuteman or Patriot to me.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

welcome... you found the right place to be enabled ...

not let me teach you up a bit...

first.. its really hard to compare plants that are not mature ...

but even with that... let me tell you .. and why ... they look nothing alike.. but for being hosta...

if you would care to post pix of both your plants .. here in this post.. you can tell me if i am right or wrong..

and.. again... this is to train your eye.. to look closer...[that and the family is ignoring me on this holiday ... and i have nothing better to do]

first.. one has a white edge.. and one is yellow .. and whether P or MM ... they are both known for their clear white edge ....

one has a dark green center.. the other a medium green center ....

leaf shape is rather close ...

and one thing you cant see.. as its a maturity thing ... BC will probably be a much larger plant ....

and BC will probably be much more puckered at maturity ...

see link.. in case you dont know about the library .... and take more time... to look closer.. and analyze what you see ... and try to find more mature plants ... to compare ...

i dont know what that edge is above your hosta... but the hosta is about a foot too close to it... for the future .... you will be needing to decide.. how to work this bed out ...

and what is this.. companion plant stuff... lol ... you are wasting valuable hosta space ... FOCUS!!!!!

again.. welcome ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Maow. I'll play like I am just meeting you here, since this is your Welcome party. We all have NOIDS and they are a pain. I only this spring was able to identify a hosta I bought in 2010. This year it was mature enough to show its true colors. Don't give up.

The Hosta Library link Ken gave is the best there is, I'm sure you discovered that quickly if you have lurked for months. Another one that is neat allows you to open in same window two images from the HLibrary so you can directly compare the hostas. I like that one. MUCH easier than walking back and forth between two hostas, or MUCH easier than moving two pots side by side. Which I do regularly in my garden to observe the plants in action. I'll link it below.

Meanwhile, in case you haven't clicked on it before, at the top of MOST HLibrary pages there is another link to a different site....MYHOSTAS.BE is where it takes you. There you will read the basic description of that hosta, see a list (with links) of its progeny, who registered it, and remarks taken from mostly nursery catalogs about the plant. This site also has a list of SPORTS arranged alphabetically and once you look up the hosta you are researching, presents the family tree of that hosta with its sporting offspring. Neat as heck, very useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare HLibrary photos side by side

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Yes, your hosta looks like Brim Cup. The burning on the edge would be called "melt out", could be due to a bit too much sun on that leaf or since it is an older leaf then maybe a slight touch of frost damage. Just pluck it off - it isn't a big deal.

The drawstring effect happens in cupped hostas where the center grows at a different rate than the margin and the leaves get extreme cupping to the point where you get small tears around the edges and it really looks like crap. Brim Cup is known to do this as it matures so I'm afraid it really isn't recommended.

Welcome to the world of hostas!

Chris

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

But don't worry, there are thousands of other hostas to replace your BC with, if you choose to do so. : )

Don B.

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second photo of the real brim cup. Hope it works.
    One more question, how do you guys add text (hosta names to you photos)?

• User
    9 years ago

If you are asking how do we print names of hostas on the picture? Then we use a photo editing software that has a "T" for TEXT feature. In my case I have two programs on Windows 7 and do the text addition using Paint Shop Pro X6.
    Anyway, it is a photo editing program located on your computer. Not familiar with Apple stuff.

If instead you mean how do we "tag" the photo with the name of the plant as part of its computer file? I do it with one of two programs. Windows 7 has the Windows Live Photo Gallery. You can look under "descriptive tag" and add the name for each hosta in the photo. But I can also use the Paint Shop Pro x6 to do it too.

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bk for chiming in. I have an older patriot, might be... but looks more like my brim cup, check out the second photo, looks like a small version of it, noh?

Yes Ken, I realize it would be hard to guess, hostas can look very different with different growing and light conditions, just wanted to see what you guys think. Ken, the edge is a raised bed, yes, really close to the edge, I just plucked it down there 2 days ago, not so sure I like it.
    You are absolutely right Ken, I have since ditch the companion plant ideas, just hostas, well mostly... I only have a green mountain pyramidal boxwood in the center of my double tiered raised hosta bed and a single citronelle coral bells, a blue cushion lavander - (needs a temporary home), and a sprinkling of chartreuse lamium and sweet woodruff to fill the bed while they are hostas are young.

Thanks Mocs for such a warm welcome, so happy to finally communicate with you guys, great to meet you all.
    There is such a thing as too much information, eh? And yes, been to all those sites, multiple times, information overload! What have I gotten myself into, there has been way too many sleepless nights, neglected house chores and unhappy family members who have been ignored for months because my new distraction. I am sure my eyes are more squinted and brows permanently furrowed from reading hosta information of my phone. This is really a full time hobby, how you guys do it?? Are you guys mostly retired?

Thanks Chris for that identifying what the browning was. Now, do you have a list of which hostas would drawstring and are not recommended? These 2 plants were impulse purchases, I was hoping the bigger plant was fragrant Queen when I first got it and realized later on it isn't. I am feeling bummed having a inferior hosta in my grounds, especially when space is at premium. It would be helpful to just cross them off of the list and learn from others experiences.

Thanks Don, really? It's my first day, do you already have a suggestion on which kind to get? I knew I could count on you to be the one of the first to enable! Please suggest away, if it is brim cup it is gone, I only want one of each kind on this bed. There is some space for a few more at the back of the bed for something low.

This post was edited by maow on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 0:46

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What does this mean... Every time I try to upload a photo, this message appears... (This data can not be loaded via Chrome data compression proxy, try and reload again.)

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mocs, I thought so.... My teenage kids do a lot of photoshop and I can't even begin to understand. This is way... OUT IF MY LEAGUE! I am still trying to understand how this garden web postings work. Technology has never been my thing.

This post was edited by maow on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 1:08

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying to add... Double raised bed photo, sometimes it works, sometimes not, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

This post was edited by maow on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 1:26

• User
    9 years ago

When you upload using the GWeb uploader, you only do one photo per post. The photo is added at the bottom end of what you write.

Now, you click the BROWSE button, and it opens a window with your computer files. The picture using this uploader MUST come from your computer, not any other site, not Google Chrome cloud. It must be a JPG file. Don't know nothing about using Chrome or Google +.

Do not worry, the GWeb browse feature is not out of your league. You need nothing but your JPG files on your computer. Now, adding the TAGS and the text words to a photo, that is more high tech......get your kids to show you how to do it.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Maow, you should be able to load one photo per post using the Chrome browser with no issues. Perhaps GW was having an issue earlier? You can also load the pics directly from your phone or iPad directly into a post using the same functionality as you would with a computer. Simply browse for the picture you want to post. An app I use on my iPhone and iPad called PhotoGrid would allow you to add text directly to a photo very easily. You can adjust the font, size and color of the text quite easily within the app. You can also add borders to your photos and do a lot of other editing, including creating collages with multiple pictures. I am attaching an example with a picture I had on my iPad. Welcome to the hosta club ðÂÂÂ.
    ~Angie

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Angie, I used your suggestion to Maow myself! What fun and so easy. Thank you for making my life easier. I didn't want to use Flickr or Photobucket so this helps in more ways than one. Thanks again. :-)
    Jo

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Yeah, Jo! I know you will love the PhotoGrid app! Note that you can also modify the layout (switch between landscape and portrait) as well as change the ratio (square, 3x4, 5x7, etc). I should add a separate post about the app in case other people might like the use it.

• User
    9 years ago

Lavendar, please do create a whole new thread so it can be found easily in the future. I'm checking to see if the app works with Android phones. I think it is criminal the way they bloat the useless apps you cannot remove, and have no room for much else. Pictures take up space. I have a 64g extra storage card but some things just won't store on it, always on the 8g internal storage. I plan to upgrade the internal storage to 32g fairly soon, but I'm learning the phone (Galaxy S5) first.

Now I go water stuff.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Mocc, I will start a new thread about the app. It is available for Android devices, by the way. I definitely do not keep all of the photos on my phone. You should be able to easily get them from your phone to the computer. I would recommend storing them with Dropbox, Google Drive, or something similar so they don't take up all the space on your computer hard drive. You should be able to load pics to one of those sites directly from your phone then delete from your phone to save space.

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of raised bed.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

That is lovely bed!

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lavendargrrl, eager to see them fill out the empty space, 5 of them are 2 years old, but most of them are new summer purchases, I have been quite busy.
    I finally figured out what I was doing wrong uploading the photos, whew!
    Thanks y'all for your instructions and recommendations, appreciate it.