Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Hosta with figurines

User
9 years ago

I thought I'd get proper figurines to identify some of my prominent fragrant hosta. The goddesses and the gods too. It seems I failed on the gods, maybe the female figure is more classically recognized....but you think a bearded god with a trident would be a popular sculpture also. Anyway, I must peruse Amazon to find the proper size figures for Poseidon, Neptune. Also Justice, which I would pair with Liberty and Peace. Trying to find a Peace figure is a difficult task.

Does anyone else have ideas for hosta with names that are revealed by a figurine or statuary? I might wind up getting a toy pitchfork for Neptune and Poseidon....just stick it in the pots!

Anyway, since the goddesses are in various stages of disabile, I hesitate to post all the images here. I give a link to the album. And here are a couple to show what is livening up the garden name tag process.

Is there one which you cannot identify? If so, my charade is off the mark. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Album: Hosta & Garden Figurines

Comments (51)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree there, Thistle. It has to trigger your memory to be a perfect choice.

My first one was the "Derriere" ....ahem.....and I could not believe that I found such pot feet at Arizona Pottery online. I got the hosta from Jim Hartmann at an online auction. It is OS.

Many of my favorite hosta are solid greens, and a clue is always helpful. I have a parrot in the pot with Par-adise Island, which gives me the first syllable of the name. I have a monkey in Funky Monkey. I have a white ceramic elephant in White Elephant. And a metal dragon in Red Dragon. Those are easy ones to recognize.

Rather like playing visual charades. :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

What a great and novel idea, Mocc. You nailed 'em, too! High-quality looking statuettes, my friend. Just another thing I love about your garden, Mocc...Nothing ever looks cheap!

Cheers,

Don B.

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

A couple of mine have figurines in them or by them. Praying Hands has 3 fairies. Krossa Regal has a fairie and a hedgehog and Fire Island has a large fairie statue by her. And Guacamole has a dragon statue climbing up the patio post by her. Oh and I can't forget the creepy gnome hidden behind Guacamole and by Wolverine! Etc, etc.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Geeez, don't buy Afternoon Delight or Wedding Night. Your statuary will end up requiring ratings for viewership.

Really, Mocc, I LOVE that idea! Both fun and clever.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

No transformer bots? or HALO figures? ;)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Takeover, I'm dying here! That is so cute......I won't be able to look at Afterglow or Seducer or ever consider getting Wedding Night......without thinking of your remark.

And now I've decided what my Madam needs for her personal keynote....a ruby necklace......only it will be strings of Mardi Gras beads.....also place her there with Mardi Gras the hosta, which should have one of those ceramic masks on a handle to stick in the pot.

I posted a thread about this kind of "mnemonic device" to help remember names. That was when I did the Funky Monkey, Red Dragon, etc. This is along the same lines.

And Don, I thank you for your remark that it doesn't look cheap. Not that it is expensive though. I don't concern myself about pleasing anybody but myself at this garden party.....and it took a while to seek out what I wanted in an appropriate scale at a reasonable price. And did it say what I wanted to say? I thought it was in keeping with my love of the fragrant hostas, this series of goddesses from the fragrant plantaginea family. (Well, except for King Tut and Derriere, which are not on the plan but are whimsical and funny. I won't do too many like that, however. I think the white figurines (not big or weighty enough to be classed as statues) give some visual cues to a mass of green plants. It also points out how special they are. If she begat goddesses, and gods, what does that say about Mama? :)

It is another layer to appreciate about my garden. And today I received the book recommended by Dougald in his thread, THE GARDEN ART OF CHINA.....and I must say it is fascinating reading. Apparently I am on the right track to understanding the classic Chinese garden as artistry, architecture, horticulture, and cultural philosophy. Another canvas on which to paint an image of life. So far I haven't found mention of hostas in the Chinese garden, but we have centuries to read about! :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leafwatcher, no Transformers for sure. But what are HALO figures? Is that anagram for ......what?

I do have more pot feet, not sure that qualifies as a transformer.
    Squash Casserole and pot feet

and simply some pot feet in the boneyard waiting for an assignment to lift something up.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Picked up a few mini hostas from the hosta library last week. The auction included 'Dragon Tails', I saw this pot today and had to have it. Not exactly a figurine or a spot on name, but I thought it was too cute not share. I do have a Saint Patrick statue next to Irish Luck. :) Will have to get a photo.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Moccasin, Halo is a super popular video game that has been around for at least a decade.. The characters armor suits are pretty well known. I was trying to see if we could flush out some gamers ;)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love the egg pot, Kate. It is appropriate for little Dragonlets because they hatch from eggs. Pretty shape and colors.I'd think of a dragon or dinosaur or maybe Komodo Dragon could live in that for a while too.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Can you tell what this is?

hh

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crocodile Rock? Both the little one and the big one are solid green, and I see a rock behind he adirondak style lavender chair.......the small one is CRock.

• chris-e
    9 years ago

I love the idea too, Moc. But the only one I could identify was Liberty. My classical training was not very strong.

I have a few statues, the most prominent one is a basset hound, although the real one is usually hanging around too. It took me a long time to find just the right size resin raccoon for my Beatles garden. But he is there, peeking from under a Paul's Glory leaf. : )

chris

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I liked mythology and read fairy tales and such. Then I became interested in word association and symbols which sparked the memory. That's all the figurines are, is symbols that make a nice display. So whatever triggers your memory of the hosta then that is the right one for YOU.

There is the old joke about someone who could not remember names, and was advised to associate a word for a person's last name. He tried it out with Missus GREEN, whose name he could NOT remember. Next time he saw her, he greeted her with, "Hello, Missus Pickle." (Old joke.)

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Ha! Any of those figurines put into my gardens would be stolen. Someone even stole the quick-release for my garden hose--twice. Now, I keep the female part locked in my mailbox until I want to use it.

I don't know if it was the crummy maintenance guys, guys from Mow & Blow Inc., or just some local scum. But that's pretty low, stealing a quick-release for my hose.

Can just imagine what they'd do to statuary, garden gnomes, etc. Especially unclothed ones! Why, I might even get a nasty letter from the nasty co-op manager who had my hosta garden under the tree plowed under telling me that I had to get rid of the nekkid statuary because it would....fill in the blank.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Mocc - I love the charming little feet. I haven't seen anthing like that. Too cute!

DD

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Elvis Lives needs a statue for sure!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do not have the hosta, but if I had a statue, or even a small guitar, I think I'd get that hosta. Too cool.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

OK--you inspired me. I just put in a Xmas request for a figurine of a hand doing the Vulcan salute. Just what I need in the middle of my mini-Star Trek hosta bed over in the corner there: Capt. Kirk, Vulcan, and Death Star.

Kate

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Love everyone's figurines! This is such a fun/interesting thread! :)

This post was edited by Kate1970 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 18:54

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OH, Kate, you've made the most gigantic sci-fi faux pas known! You put a Star Wars reference/hosta in a Star Trek hosta bed--off with her head, LOL!!!!! :)

The entire cast of Big Bang Theory is cringing right now!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Ooooh, I feel so terrible! Especially since I named the wrong hosta. The one I have is Dark Star, not Death Star! So you will have to take back the Star Wars charge--although the movie Dark Star was not a part of the Star Trek series either, for that matter.

The place I ordered my hosta from (in Kansas City, in the middle of the summer) didn't have any more Star Trek hosta available--which was why I settled for Dark Star--but somehow that keeps slipping into Death Star, darn it. I guess the Death Star is just more memorable than the Dark Star or something.

Is Dark Star a neutral enough reference that I can come back inside yet? Or am I banished forever?

Sob--and Big Bang Theory is my current favorite show, exceeded only by Downton Abbey when it runs.

I'm sorry--whimper!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: My Dark Star hosta thread

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

To quote Penny on Big Bang- "What's the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars? NOTHING, Absolutely NOTHING!"

Big Bang Theory is my favorite show!

Linda ;-)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you, Linda--and Penny! Just what I needed--a sensible female point of view! Ha!

Kate

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Not sure if this qualifies as a figurine but it is in the same spirit.
    Saint Fiacre (patron saint of gardening) along side of Praying Hands and behind him is Holy Mole.

I have three different statutes of St Fiacre in my garden and now thanks to you all, I find out there is actually a hosta by the same name. MUST HAVE!
    Enabled again...thx a lot...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I think the Spock hand would be a great symbol. It is a very sci fi sort of thing, and I got the message. Close is good enough in garden themes and horseshoes.....

Old Dirt, I noticed your St. Fiacre is beside the Praying Hands hosta. Not bad. But Holy Mole really takes the cake! Love it. Saints in the garden definitely qualify as statuary.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Found one for H. 'Purple Haze' : )

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Looks like Moc is the only taker for my post quiz, and was pretty close. The answer is:
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . look closely
    . .
    . oh, alright,

Komodo Dragon

hh

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

forgot to mention how much fun this thread is, thanks everyone!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's misleading, HH! That's an alligator! ; P Party foul!

Hee hee ; )

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

No, Don, it's not a gator. My wife originally thought so and had it by alligator shoes, but I know the difference having actually caught both. mwahahahah

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Well then HH, let me show you a picture of a REAL Komodo Dragon, just so you know.

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

got me Don! I gave it a shot ^ÿ^

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

In any case, that is a fantastic Komodo Dragon, HH.

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HH, I think you need to plant Crocodile Rock somewhere near Komodo Dragon. The ROCK is already there, so is the crock.

With the crock being under the big plant and beside the rock as well, I wondered which plant it was a clue for.....and the smaller plant looked more like Crock Rock to me.

But now I see it could be the big Komodo Dragon. You go big or you go home, don't you, HH?

Well, I started out with a normal day today, and then my sweet gardening companion Dolly dachshund girl got sick. I've been at the vet with her, bleeding profusely, and now getting electrolytes into her every hour. I guess it will be a long night. She is so pathetic. Never been sick before. And I've never had a dog with that kind of illness either. Bless her sweet little hound hide. Hope she is better in the morning. Such woebegone sad eyes, wanting mama to make her better.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Don, I love the Hendrix figure ! hahahahah

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Mocc, so sorry to hear your Dolly dachshund girl is sick. :-( It sounds like it came on so suddenly. I hope you have a good vet that knows what's going on, and that it's something she can be cured of so she is back with you in your garden again very soon. I'll think good thoughts for her tonight.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hope Dolly girl gets back on her dachshund feet real soon! Mention one of the critters she chases after...maybe that'll perk her up and give her the strength she needs. Good luck, Mocc. Hope she's right as rain real soon.

Jo

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Moccasin,

I love looking at your garden pictures- what a lush, beautiful oasis!

The imaginative figurines add so much!

AT

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, AltheaT. I've begun to think the garden is adding layers to its look, one layer being the figurines. Like dressing for a party, it is more than throwing on some clean clothing.

I've had ideas along these lines before, but reading the (old) book (new to me) about The Garden Art of China (introduced by Dougald on the forum here), I'm thinking about layering and thus enriching my experience of the garden. I must say it gives me a great deal of pleasure to simply sit in all parts of it.

• altheatime
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!

I must get that book. I love Japanese gardens, would love to know more about Chinese. Are they designed with Feng Shui principles?

The energy flow in the photo above is so peaceful and restorative, I can see why it brings you so much pleasure!

AT

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to tell you later if Feng Shui figures into it. So far I'd say there are "signs" of it, but not discussed using the term itself. I'm reading this book slowly, and studying the drawings and pictures. I want to understand it better.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Moccasin what is the name of the hosta you have with figurine of an angel with no arms or head???

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aha! Good question. I did forget to put the name with the shot.
    The hosta is Victory.
    The figurine is a replica of Nike, the Greek goddess of Victory, also called Winged Victory.
    Below is a link to the Wikipedia article about her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winged Victory

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Ahhhhh makes sense...and good to know. I have many small small hostas in one area under my pine trees that have all the same type of hostas. This area is where I bought a grab bag from a catalogue order a few years ago, and the eyes were SO tiny I didn't think anything would come of it. Anyways most of them have a leaf of similarity to Victory, but I know it wouldn't be that. This would be such a common one that they would use it in cheap grab bags. one day I'll figure out. A few of these little hostas were different most like that or just green. filled in the area, but now I want fancy hostas.

michelle

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

KATE1970 I love the pot you got with the toothy edges, it looks like the teeth are about to eat the hosta Sweet! I never read the following comments and just had to comment how cute it is. Now I can back up an read the rest. Great find
    Faye

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Moc, I am so sorry for your sweet Dolly . Our Penny (daschund too) started getting sick this past month and after the third convulsion I just couldn't see her go through such pain. She now is resting in a new area I plan to call my sunshine garden. She was 12. Very sad house for the past week . Hope Dolly gets better soon. They are as close as our children and sometimes my son thinks I love my pets better then them... sometimes??? nah!
    hugs Barb
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Barbara, I am thinking about Dolly ever since you first mentioned her condition...We are a pet/animal loving family here in our home, and we will be wishing, and thinking good positive things for her, and for you as well, as you're her caregiver, and we know Mama needs a lot of strength to do what you need to do, which is virtually everything.

Sending you and yours strong love and Good Mojo, Barbara.

xoxo bless your heart, and Dolly's too...

Don Backer and Karen and Rachel Bruner

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a good vet, although he doesn't call me to check on Dolly as my former bird vet did. She spent a second night in her crate without incident but promptly threw up bilious stuff this morning when she got out of the crate. sigh....so still no interest in chicken broth or anything, and I'm giving Pedialyte electrolytes to keep her hydrated....by syringe. Her mouth is dry and it is hard to get pills in her, they stick or she tongues them out if I don't watch closely. Dachshunds can be such stubborn little creatures.

Faye, I did not know about your Penny. Such a hard thing to do, but only thing to do when they are in such condition. Twelve years with you, and such a part of your life....that was the same age my Moon Pie was when he had kidney and liver failure, so wonderful a little man he was. My constant companion, who turned his job over to Dolly, who happened to be born two days before he left for Rainbow Bridge. I know he told her what to do to please me.

With Moon Pie, he was the man of the house, until my Bill came around. Moon let him know exactly how he felt about another male in the house. He hiked his leg and peed on the chair leg where he sat. I could not believe the audacity of such a small little boy. Then I found this statue of a white dog, leg hiked, and I have it in the garden near the Moon Walk. My garden path I call the Moon Walk, because I created it for Moon to keep his feet dry. He wanted to be with me but his feet itched in the grass and dew.