Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

Do Hosta flowers show well in a vase?

gogirlterri
10 years ago

I happen to love the blossoms, no matter how minute. But I have never tried them in a vase of water. I have the leaves which hold up well.
I have a GF, Cheryl, who has many hostas but not ventricosa, and I feel ventricosa's flowers are the prettiest of all. Mine are just opening, and I am thinking of cutting them and giving some to Cheryl.
I have some questions:

-Do they hold up well in a vase and for how long?
-If I cut them ready to open, will they open in a vase with water?
-Depending on the answer to the above, does anyone have photos of vased leaves and flowers?
-Is there a way to prolong the life of either leaves or blossoms?

Ken - your pictures of Hosta flowers showing size have been awesome. You must be able to contribute to answers to my questions because they all look so fresh.

I am hoping I am not whipping a dead horse. It is a shame such lovely flowers cannot be viewed by anyone who doesn't want to get down on hands and knees, or like myself can't get back up easily.

Moc - this sounds like something you might have tried. I know many of you are so fixed on foliage that when scapes appear you just cut them off and toss them. We are not all alike, thank the Lord for small favors, so if I can find a better way to view and show off any part of my favorite plants I want to.

Theresa

Theresa

Comments (11)

• dg
    10 years ago

I've never tried to put hosta flowers in a vase of water, but it puts me in mind of other cut flowers in vases. My Mom puts a drop of bleach in the water, I think so bacteria doesn't grow and the flowers hold up longer...Didn't they used to put an aspirin in the water too? I'm pretty sure that changing the water in the vase every few days is recommended.

hth,
    Deb

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

(Sort of related) I have to share a story from last year. I had a vase of flowers on my patio table where I was sitting, reading a magazine one morning. In the vase where several Sum and Substance flowers as well as some others. I looked up from my magazine to see, just a few feet in front of me, a hummingbird, taking her time getting some nectar from the Sum and Substance flowers. A real nice moment in the garden. Not only do the flowers look good and last several days in a vase, but they may attract some special company.

Beverly

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I just cut a couple of stalks (!) today and will let you know how long they last.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

RE The link I am providing: Make sure you scroll down to the third from last post, and LOOK AT THE PIC a forum member called erdeem (I think) posted in June...I'm happy to bring this up because, as Ken wrote, this pic is buried at the bottom of a long-dead thread.
    Just feast your eyes...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Extremely Fragrant Flowers' Thread

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I once brought in a couple stalks of Guacamole flowers and put it in a bud vase on the kitchen table to enjoy close up at breakfast. Each day some new ones would open and the previous day's blossom would close. Sorta like day lillies. I don't know if they are all like that, but it is an easy test to do.

Leaves last a long, long time.

-Babka

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Pretty arrangement you created, cyn427.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I've never tried hosta flowers by themselves but always add them to a mixed bouquet when available. They last as well as any and add an interesting form. You can see some in the middle here and another stalk in the back. Last years photo.

• paul_
    10 years ago

That photo you linked to, Don? A magnificent photo, IMO. Artistically done. Wonder why Erdeem posted it there instead of a new post?

For those who don't want to bother scrolling through a post to find the photo, the link at the bottom will take you to the photo. Don's right -- it is definitely worth seeing.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah! Thank you Mocc. What a PHOTO!!!!!

-Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Interesting thing about your question.
    Do you have a county fair?
    There is typically a horticulture open class division.
    My county fair has several entry possibilities, including
    cut hosta flower and leaf, and three leaves of different hosta. I am lobbying for a 'biggest leaf' competition as well.
    You even get money if you win, place or show. Key to county fair competitions is a clear glass vase. Check your county fair premium books for more info, and start collecting some ribbons!

dave

^_^ --~

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I don't know about other posters, but no one here in CA knows very much about hostas, so there is nothing at any of our county fairs. I know you will read that hostas are the most popular perennial plant...that might be true back east, but not here. Anyone else???

-Babka

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH