Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Design help please!

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

Hostanistas, I need your help. I'm going to replace the two very large lancifolia hosta in the photo with two large (not mammoth) hostas allowing more room for the Orange Marmalade to grow. The Linda Sue in the top middle of photo will grow at least 40" to 50" wide.

Suggest what you think would be two aesthetically pleasing hosta in terms of color, texture and leaf design. The garden gets morning sun for at least 5 hours in the front. This will be the last time I'm replacing these hosta.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (13)

• irawon
    10 years ago

Depends on your growing conditions, DD. Some people including me have had trouble growing Orange Marmelade. Not Don Budd ... this is his in the picture. Doesn't look like you have trouble growing OM, so you don't want anything really big on either side of it. You might want to introduce some blue interest... like High Society, Frosted Dimples or Aristocrat. You might also try a reverse variegation such as Summer Breeze

• irawon
    10 years ago

Here's Aristocrat.

• irawon
    10 years ago

High Society

• irawon
    10 years ago

I love Frosted Dimples but I think I would probably go with the reverse variegation idea,

• irawon
    10 years ago

I think Summer Breeze would work. I'm looking forward to seeing others opinions.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon, I see you like the blues and they are lovely. I especially like the Aristocrat. What is the name of the blue/green hosta above Summer Breeze. I really like that combination.

You've raised a concern for me. The OM was a replacement this year by the vendor I purchased it from. The original did beautifully last year but emerged with shriveled leaves this year. I would hate to make room for a hosta that isn't going to perform. :(

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

There are a lot of nice suggestions on this thread. 'Alligator Shoes' is a nice one. It'll get pretty big but it's not a giant..

Don B.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Don, that's a good suggestion... I really like your AS ... but then it's blue. I hope mine (new this year) gets to look as good and as blue.

DD, that's Lakeside Shore Master behind Summer Breeze. I think it's a large but not a giant. Mine is still immature , so not really sure.

• smorz
    10 years ago

I have a hard time breaking from my symmetrical thought process... so in a a trio... say it was orange marmalade I am working with. I would pick its opposite by reversing the color, then a solid one that pulls all the colors together. of course wanting the same leaf shape in all of them, lolz. did anybody fall asleep reading this? haha

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I'm all confused, because those don't look like Lancifolia to me.

'Fragrant Dream' is one of my favorite hostas anywhere. It starts out the year with a green center and chartreuse margins. As the temps heat up, the center becomes dark green medio-variegated and the margins lighten to cream, nearly white. It's large but not huge. No corrugation, so might not work for you.

What about Invincible or Irish Luck for a shiny green?
    'Wide Brim' or 'Forteunei Aureomarginata' for a classic green center and cream margin?
    'Sugar and Spice' to mix all these ideas?

Here's my latest pic of 'Fragrant Dream'

• Eleven
    10 years ago

And here's a pic of the bed with Fragrant Bouquet. Almost all the hostas here echo the colors from nearby plants. Not sure if it's apparent to other people, but the yellow-centered Alligator Alley left of Sagae is a temp planting. I'm working on getting the colors to flow better.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input. I went with the two tone idea you suggested. I purchased Seducer and Spartacus in 3-quart pots. They are suppose to be vigorous growers which is good because time is not on my side if you get my drift.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great choices! I don't have 'Seducer', but I have 'Spartacus', and many (including myself) have found it quite the vigorous grower.

I think they're gonna look excellent in your already superb hosta bed.

Don B.