Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

help i.d. this little cutie

marricgardens
10 years ago

I bought this small hosta from the local horticulture society this year. The only info on it was that it was 8" tall and liked part shade. I have waited until it flowered to take a picture. The leaves on the hosta are about 3" but it's still in the pot so I don't know how big they would be when planted in the ground. Any ideas?

{{gwi:1058442}}

{{gwi:1058443}}

Comments (14)

• irawon
    10 years ago

I thought it might be either Coconut Custard or Tiny Bubbles. I went outside to check but neither of mine have bloomed yet. I live in zone 5a/b too.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Maybe Little Miss Magic? Phil

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Could be Lemon Lime, mine is about to flower now as well. Or Yellow Boa, depending on the size. LL is smaller and more common than YB.

Karen

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm going to look all these up. I did find one it might be (same height & colors) and that was Cheatin' Heart. Most of the people here don't keep record of the plants and I think I can safely assume it's an older variety.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Could it perhaps be Hydon Sunset? Identical flower...I took a pic earlier today...HS has been found by the slugs.

10 years ago

Here is a pic of entire plant...it's going to new location (and into pot) tomorrow. Could it be what you have?

10 years ago

Should mention that it was much brighter earlier in season...up to cple hrs ago it was squished between and shaded by other plants. I have another in more sun that got separated from momma somehow and it's brighter.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Did heating it up on the stove darken it?

Theresa

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Josephine. Yours does look quite similar. I can' t tell from the picture if it's just some shadowing or not but does yours have a darker edge? How tall does yours get? Apparently mine reaches only 8".

10 years ago

LOL Theresa! I had to bring it in from the deck as it was pitch dark outside..poor kitchen lighting, hence the stove...lol

Marg, no it is one colour..sorry about bad pic...the last pic is true colour. My HS is approx 6" tall, 13" tall with flower scape..and approx 11" wide so far.

When I bought it last year, I do recall it being just a bit larger, but not by much. I have to remember that all plants arriving at stores are usually fertilized and at optimum.

Mine is growing fine, I guess for a wee one and seems tough enough. Wish the slugs didn't like it. I don't fertilize much, hosta or other perennials, maybe once a year if they are lucky. Everything grows and looks like I do though ..lol

I hope you enjoy your new little hosta and I hope we come up with its name for you! :-)
    Jo

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked it up in my book and it is an '88 introduction. Size is 8"X22". This may very well be it since it's an older intro. Thanks Jo. Marg

• Patty zone 5
    10 years ago

Twist of Lime has a darker green edge and is similar to Lemon LIme....?

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

I have no experience whatsoever id'ing hostas, but it looks very much like my Feather Boa. It is just finishing up with blooming here in zone 7.

• User
    10 years ago

Just showing the Twist of Lime, already past multiple blooming scapes. It has a slight dark green margin.

And then in June a picture of Lemon Lime which had a need for more sun, but was healthy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH