Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not fond of flower scapes, but..

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 15:00

This display by tocudama flavocircinalis is winning me over.
I like how the flowers are just above the foliage unlike the sagae scape next to it.
 photo 100_4381_zps39bb1eee.jpg

photo 100_4386_zps37cab917.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not fond of flower scapes, but..

awesome hostas north!!

michelle

o

Beautiful! And even more so considering you are gardening in zone 1B! 1B???? Is that a typo?? How on earth can you garden at all? How long is your gardening season? I think I shall stop complaining about my 5B April to October timeframe! The fact you can get anything to grow, bloom, thrive is remarkable. Hats off to you, North 53 in Manitoba.

o

It's 1b on the Canadian Hardiness zone map. I'm not sure what the equivalent is on the US map. We used to be zone 2 but got down graded when they revised the map. Most plants rated zone 3 will grow here, so it's not as bad as it sounds.
We've had a cold wet spring this year but the hostas have loved that. I've never seen them looking so good.

o

Montreal is 6 on the Canadian scale which is set up as North said according to the survivability of native plants. No way to correlate the USDA and the Canadian scales, but 1b is without doubt darn cold.

Jon

o

I applause you north for growing hostas. I am what used to be zone 2 but I am on the edge of that now into zone 3. I can grow anything zone 3 and a few zone 4 but they eventually die after a few seasons.

michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here