Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaflover76

Did I Really Receive American Sweetheart?

leaflover76
9 years ago

I bought this hosta last year with the tag stating it was American Sweetheart. The photos I've seen of A.S. have a larger white center. Do you think I have American Sweetheart?

August 2013 when I bought it

May 2014

June 2014

Comments (6)

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I'm not much at ID's but this is my American Sweetheart planted this spring.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Doesn't look like it to me. American Sweetheart has a much wider central variegation,but it is nice,whatever it is. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont think so either ..

which makes the next question: WHAT IS THE THIN CENTERED TC SPORT OF AS???

i suppose i could look it up on myhosta via the library.. but i am being lazy.. and hoping someone knows the answer offhand ... if there is one ...

but that would presume... its a TC cull error ...

on the other hand.. first pic comparing to others... i am wondering if leaf shape is consistent .. which is always hard on young plants... my recollection.. sitting here in the basement is that AS has longer than wider leaves... and the first pic looks like it has the potential to be a rounder/wider .. than longer leaf ..

this would make it a nursery lost the tag issue.. rather than a sport issue...

again.. i spend the time typing.. to teach you guys how to look critically and see differences between pix of plants ...

actually.. my first thought was.. was the green consistent... and that is always hard.. in pix ... because old dirts camera and OPs camera.. could be messing with us ... ambient light and all that differing...

old dirts pic .. though upside down.. lol ... look like the proper color for AS... compare to the 2nd and 3rd pix .. but the 1st pic is close .... but questionable leaf shape ...

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I purchased mine on June 20th this year...def. AS.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I was also thinking possibly a TC plant that's not quite true-to-type? Just a guess. It's a pretty cool-looking plant, though. Reminds me of Gamma Ray.

Don B.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

I agree that it looks like a very wide margined sport of American Sweetheart. That's terrific that it has come back and multiplied so consistently, which would have been my main concern when I see a hosta with that thin of a stripe down the center.

Start thinking of a name because this one deserves its own name.

Chris