Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suneee

Hostas around town

stoc zone 6 sweden
10 years ago

As I have sunk deeper into this Hosta fever,I and my friend are noticing hostas everywhere.Thought I would post pics of some I have found in the neighborhood.

Was on a bike ride the other day and found these beauties,growing facing the water.They were huge!!!I guess Sweden is a good place to grow hostas!
Don't know the names of any of them as I am not sure...

Perspective on the size of the leaf,those are my reading glasses.

The tire of my bike in pic

This shows just a small portion of the bed,it is between 2 buildings facing the water.The fencing on the rock face is where other plants and vines are being trained to grow.

What the hostas get to look at /Baltic sea harbor)

The area is new housing and the hostas can't be more than 5 years old!!!!

Hostas in a narrow strip at the end of my street

I think these are probably good examples of Hostas that grew up on a driveway!!

Others in the neighborhood growing almost wild next to apartment buildings

Comments (12)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

James, thanks a lot for all the great pics! I've never been to Stockholm, but it looks beautiful in the summer....I'm sure Sweden IS a very hosta-friendly climate, especially for Elegans-family hosta.

Thanks Again!
    Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I love seeing the monsters out there !

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

big blue

elegans...

variegated.. frances williams .. or clone

nigrescens

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Stoc, thank you for the peek into another country. Your eye is educated to notice hosta and you will notice more of them. Those are gorgeous hosta, just being part of the scene.
    Lovely. And thanks for the treat.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

the administration is working on a new program.

A hosta in every home.

Rather than monitoring our cellular fones, they will be monitoring through the leaves, or 'ears' of the hosta.

It all started under Clinton.

H.Slick Willy.

be wary. Wild hosta are lurking everywhere!

^_^ --~

dave

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

You know, a Slick Willy might be worth it just for the name.

bk

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I have slick willie and actually like it very much. The leaves have a distinctive smooth tecture that I love to touch and are the darkest green of any hosta I grow, including Hosta 'Black Hills' or Hosta 'Lakeside Black Satin.'
    I always assumed the name came from its texture.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ONG, there really is a hosta called slick willie.

Back to the thread....ha ha

Do you think the blues could be Big Daddy? Seems to be very popular in the shops here.I looked under the leaves and it seemed like many plants instead of one big mound.
    The pic with the reading glasses for some reason did not show up blue,looks green.
    Whatever they are would be nice to know as I have 3 that came with the backyard that look just like the big ones but look like embryos next to those monsters.

Surprised no one appreciated the ones growing on the driveway!

• User
    10 years ago

Stoc, the driveway hosta? Looks really natural to see them squeezed into such a narrow space. I bet no other plant could dominate the space the way those do. It has to be hard soil in that narrow area, but you'd never tell from the fullness of the hosta.

Perfect climate for that growth.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Big blues look like Elegans to me, based on the height of the scapes. Big Daddy's leaves tend to be cupped.

I would have guess Krossa Regal instead of nigrescens. Not sure what the difference between the two except my hosta labeled nigrescens has leaves that are more cup-like.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

stoc, around 1960 I saw several large blue hostas at a creek in a public garden in Braunschweig, Germany. They were very impressive, must have been close to mature when planted. Europe was then already interested in hostas. In a month I will be there again with a much detailed hosta interest, have to see that creek again.
    Hostas are growing well in northern Europe because they are so far north on the globe. On your pictures none of those hostas seems to have any sun burns. Bernd

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

berndnyz5
    Hope you have a great time on your trip.If you make it to Stockholm,let me know and I will be happy to show you around.

Gesila,
    I'm thinking Elegans too.

Mocc and Don,
    I was a bit worried this winter but now realize I am in a place that Hostas love!