Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hostas around a large tree?

Posted by Dani0025 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:04

I am hoping for some advice.
In the spring I moved all of my hostas around, some into full sun which they are NOT enjoying. I cant seem to kill these things though so im sure they will be fine. My question is can I plant these around a large tree in my yard, or will the roots from the tree be to much for them to compete with? I should mention it is a large evergreen. Not sure of the type but it gets these little blue.....balls (for lack of a better word) on it during the winter that fall off all summer long. I cant get grass to grow there but I figure the hostas are so tough they might be ok there.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hostas around a large tree?

Ah, yes... the famous blue-balled evergreen...

The ground under evergreens is, in general, among the worst growing conditions in nature. It combines deep shade with extreme dryness and soil that has been heavily fed upon by the tree as it grew.

Hostas can handle it - if you water regularly. Water is the key. Secondarily, they will also grow much better if you give them some fertilizer once in a while...

o

I grow a lot of hosta under several pine trees, and the results have been positive. Like idiothe wrote, though, I water regularly and generously.

Best Of Luck,
Don B.

o

Thats good to hear =)
I plan on moving them a little later in late august. Its been fairly hot here latley so I dont want to move them in the scorching heat.
thanks for the advice!

o

your tree is likely a juniper: the blue balls are actually modified cones and are used to make gin, i believe....

o

Where you are would determine the likelihood of which juniper it is. Juniperus virginiana is most commonly planted. A side note, Juniperus communis is the gin juniper. (hic)

tj

o

Im upstate Ny. In the adirondacks =)
This is compleatly irrelivent to hostas but Ive included a picture of the tree. You've sparked my curiosity! If anyone knows that would be awesome

o

So, a juniper is conifer?

bk

o

It looks like the conifer Juniperus virginiana to me. AKA Eastern Redcedar or Pencil Cedar even though it really isn't a cedar but the wood smells like cedar when cut. Eastern White Cedar, Thuja occidentalis (or Arborvitae), shares a similar misnaming because it too smells like cedar when cut.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here