Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Hosta Twilight

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

This is my year two hosta Twilight. I like hosta that stand up straight and strut their stuff. Reminds me of Patriot, only with gold margins. I'm sure many of you have this one, but I'm only posting this photo because my local upscale nursery had it prominantly displayed as a "Proven Winner."

I can honestly say nothing rarely eats my plants.

DD

Comments (36)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Twilight is listed as a sport of Fortunei Aureomarginata. It was registered (and patented - so you can't legally divide and sell it) in the Netherlands and put into major production in the US by Walters Gardens in Michigan, a large wholesaler.

It is marketed as an "improved" FA. It is supposed to have larger leaves and wider margins.

I like it a lot - but I'm a little sceptical about the "improvement" thing. Actually, Fortunei Aureomarginata has always been a great green-with-yellow hosta. It went through a lot of name changes... fortunei 'Aureomarginata, for example... but its been around for decades.

Back when I was doing more growing and sales, I could buy a nice, field grown chunk of FA for $.75 ... I'd stick 25 in the ground in a row and then sell them 5 a year for $2 or $2.50. That is all very well for a hostavangelist who is trying to spread the word (and habit) but there's no real money in it. And people don't like Latin names... sounds to pretentious...

Then along comes a great named hosta - 'Twilight' - that I can only get via tissue culture and that costs like other profitable hostas. I grow both... can't really say I see a difference... they do claim Twilight is a tetraploid... in this case, it doesn't grow quite as fast as its parent, but is still a pretty good grower.

Walters, by the way, has a trademark on "Proven Winner" and prints a different kind of label for those wholesale plants...

In any case, a couple of comments.

FA/Twilight will typically have a medium green compared with the dark green of Patriot.

Do not be fooled into thinking it would be fun to grow Twilight with its reverse sport, Morning Light. The descriptions of Morning Light were enough to get me to try it. It is a dog. Much like Yin and Yan, Twilight and Morning Light will differ in size and vigor more than Mutt and Jeff. (Oh, gosh... does anybody still remember Mutt and Jeff...)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I do enjoy my Twilight, but it is a slug magnet. You'd think that if it indeed was a tetraploid it would be made of hardier stuff. Still, early in the season, before I clip it with the lawn mower (I know, bump out the bed, bonehead) or slugs attack it, it is quite the looker.

tj

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I have a younger Twilight, and I love how dark green it is. The leaves are also very substantial...I never would have guessed it can be slug bait!

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Here's my Twilight. It's been a slow grower. I have it in a pot now, but it had been in the ground for a few years. It was little when I got it. I potted it up only because when I moved I ran out of space for it, so in a pot it went.

Karen

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Wish I had my camera but it STILL isn't back. My Twilight is only 2 years in my garden and it is a great grower, so far. Haven't seen many slugs--in spite of all the rain we had this spring. We went on a slug-hunt one night because something was eating leaves, and only found 5 slugs in the whole garden. I think the culprits might have been cutworms, which have since pupated, because the damage I'm seeing is old, not fresh, edges.

Love everybody's Twilight!

Sandy

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This is my Twilight at 2 years. I haven't noticed any slug damage yet although others near it do have some.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Twilight is a terrific hosta. I got mine late last summer on closeout...liked it then but it had sorta been thru the wringer. When it emerged this spring, I wasn't prepared for how it glows...like montana Aureomarginata and Rainbow's End. It's almost like those hosta are back-lit. MA was a new aquisition last year, too. There are a lot of great hosta out there but these three are among the best, IMO.

• chris-e
    10 years ago

I don't have Twilight, but I do remember Mutt and Jeff...and I think I just carbon-dated myself. ; )

chris

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Well, I'll go ahead and fess up...whenever my dad would call my brothers "Mutt 'n Jeff," I always thought he was saying "Mutton Jeff." Did I just carbon date myself, too? :) Makes more sense now!

• w3csx
    10 years ago

Funny you all had this thread going already. I just sat down to post these photos of mine. Hoping I could get some opinions on what to do with it.

Here is my Twilight in the upper left corner. I can't say I have been too pleased with it. Twilight was larger when I planted it two years ago then she is now. The Blue Cadet in front was planted at the same time. But BC was only a 1 qt starter plant compared to twilight's mature 1 gal size. Last year it grew out to be the same size as when I planted it. But never did anything. This area gets morning sun until about 11 am. I am starting to think I have it in to much sun.

Thoughts?
    Jason

• w3csx
    10 years ago

Here is a closer shot of it. I do not remember it being so glossy last year. Or am I remembering it wrong?

Thanks for any advice!
    Jason

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Second year and, for me, a vigorous grower. It is situated in a location that gets half and half, sun / shade with the sun coming in the morning. It sits right under a very large white pine.

Jon

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

My Twilight is situated just like Jon's...under a huge pine with a northeast exposure. Very bright light until early afternoon...some direct sun but mostly dappled by large oak tree shade. Seems very happy in that spot.

Since you're saying that your Twilight was larger than when you planted it two years ago, I would dig it up & examine the roots...and prod around in the soil checking for buried debris, like bricks, big rocks, etc. Also double check that you don't have it planted too deeply. If you can't find any obvious reason for the plant to have decreased in size, then I would relocate it.

I planted an August Moon late last summer & noticed that it was markedly smaller this year. Decided to dig it up last week & have a look see...and found that it was rotting. Luckily, I caught it in time to save a good portion of it. We've had a late, late spring & quite a bit of rain, but the main problem was that it was growing where I had dumped spent potting soil...which was retaining too much water. AM is now potted up and living on the porch for a while...noticed just this morning that it's sending up a new leaf so I think it's a lot happier now.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Not certain why my Twilight looks lighter then all of yours because it only gets morning sun. Maybe it is because it is only a year old in my garden?

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

My twilight is on the North side of the house and gets almost no direct sun, it looks great that way, it is also growing well. And as I have said in the past few years.. it is a GREAT looking plant next to big blue types. A. Blue Crinkles in my case.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great specimens, peeps. Mine is far from photoworthy. Maybe mine will grow well someday; I still have hope.

Don B.

• idiothe
    10 years ago

almosthooked... that is a nice looking plant, but I wouldn't have guessed Twilight from the photo. That is so much lighter that I really wonder if it is some other very nice hosta...

maybe the source can help - do you know where you got it?

and Jason... there is certainly something about that spot Twilight doesn't like. Several possibilities... root competition from the shrubs... too much or too little water due to location near the house... too much light due to reflected light off house...

and here are my two best guesses for the culprit. One - heat in the soil. If I'm reading your handle right, you are in zone 7... pretty warm for hostas already. A brick wall like that can absorb a lot of heat and radiate it 24 hours into the root zone of that hosta...

and two - wood mulch is cool... but the little creatures that break down the wood mulch also consume nitrogen... soil that starts out in good condition can rapidly become nitrogen deficient. That is assuming good garden soil. Often the construction process actually dumps the soil in a way that the rich topsoil is buried and the surface is pretty sterile and poor soil.

Your plant is making itself smaller... usually that means it is trying to manage the stress of a challenging location by smaller surface growth, smaller leaves, etc.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Wood mulch is fine on top of the soil. Its when it gets incorporated into the soil that it causes nitrogen to be bound up- temporarily. When the population of bacteria that binds it crashes the nitrogen is returned to the soil. Shallow rooted annuals may be affected, but not deeper rooted things such as hosta.

tj

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I just got mine this year and it looks quite sad.

{{gwi:1058871}}

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Another one in mostly shade

• User
    10 years ago

I don't have Twilight. I have Morning Light. Had no idea that it was reputed to be a bad grower.

Morning Light came last year during the season, forget what month. Here it is now, getting a fair amount of heat from mid day until sunset. I recently moved a market umbrella to break off part of that killing sunshine.

Here it is, if I may introduce it.
    See that little thing tucked behind On Stage? That's it! This June 2013 It arrived here in August 2012. It was turning yellow ready to go dormant in December 2012.

and all alone this June 2013

• janeygeewhiz
    9 years ago

I have 122 Twilights forming several hedges bordering most of my property. All bought from the same farm, all at the same time, all planted within days of each other. They vary around the garden with different exposures and drainage, never too concerned about the odd weird one here and there. But this year, ONE of them came up as a different plant. I have to wonder... Can they revert to one of the original hybrids? Any thoughts out there? The weirdo in this case is obviously on the left.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

idiothe, I bought this plant at a local Nursery and it was purchased in 2012 but possibly it had the wrong label on it If not twilight what would you venture it possibly is? She usually has really good plants but maybe someone switched the label on it.( same plant that I previously posted)
    Faye

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Surprised to see my old thread pop up. I'm sure help is on the way. I love the simplicity of your garden hedge. For the past two years Twilight has been a feature hosta at my local nursery.

I believe my Twilight is 3 years old.

DD

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I still love mine, it must be getting the perfect light because it has the nicest look to it.. and I still swear by keeping it next to a dark blue hosta.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I have two twilights, but both plants are new from this year. Bought one this spring and I actually forgot its name, so when I ordered online I happened to buy another one! OOps.......oh well..... both young plants!!

michelle

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

we need a pix of twilight at twilight. I'll try to remember one of these nights. I think it is the real reason it is called twilight. It really seems to pop as the rays of sol diminish and dusk slowly imposes its will â¦

dave

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I bought a few Twilight, but I can't grow 'em. Big fat failure I am. Three is enough for me, I've given up. Mama F. Aureomarginata (homage to Mocc's 'Mama Plantaginea') Loves me, and I love her. : )

Happily Ever After, or until the voles come... X: O

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Mine is a bit better than last year, but it is growing slowly. It is in a nursery pot under a maple so I don't expect a stellar performance.

• User
    9 years ago

How neat is that, DonB....your very own Mama...Fortunei AureoMarginata

If Bragu does a photo of Twilight at twilight and convinces me it is unique and displays beautifully then, I can see myself having it. After all, with a fragrant hosta garden, twilight IS the witchy hour when the blooms come alive. Homage to Twilight time.

Thanks, Don, for remembering Mama. She is doing nicely at my house this year, with Old Faithful by her side. Since they are in a lot of afternoon sun, they are more golden than usual. I keep pushing it, another day of lots of sun in July now, and I water like a madwoman. My Royal Standards, also in that afternoon sun, are sending up scapes like crazy. It is gonna be a beautiful month if I can pay the water bill. :)
    (no rain)

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 0:19

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Dave and Moc- My pic at the top of the thread was at twilight. I agree that that is when this plant really "shines".

tj

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

for moc

Twilight w/ Golden Goal behind

• User
    9 years ago

Hey, Bragu, I like both hosta. Never heard of Golden Goal before, and it is pretty nice. Also, that cilantro/celery like plant in front right corner....that makes me hungry....what is it?

I see what happens to the green of Twilight AT twilight. It bronzes over, which gives the color more depth. I've noticed that happening to a few of my hosta which were in a good bit of afternoon sun. Those that were darker and not lighter green seem to sometimes get a metallic bronze sheen. My Elegans (the one from Lowes) is doing that.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Here's my Twilight gifted to me by Newhostalady in May of this year. Growing nicely and picture taken today as sun was setting. :-)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

moc, that's columbine (the cilantro-like stuff), or honey suckle as it is sometimes called. These are the mckenna giant blooms ⦠they were magnificent this year ⦠th

daveose were pink, i think. I also have blues, white and yellow, and of course, the smaller wetland woodlands native red ...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!