Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Rescued Hosta Continental Divide

Gesila
11 years ago

My Continental Divide has been a real slow grower. I suspected Maple tree roots was a problem, so we dug it up today. Never expected to find this white powdery substance in the soil. Any idea what it is?

Here it is, slightly smaller than when I got it last year. The hostas around it are thriving:

Maple tree roots and white powdery substance that is very dry despite the downpours of the last two days.

These roots would have swallowed this hosta up:

Horrible root system. I'm hoping I wasn't too late:

This is one good reason to bare root your hostas before planting them in your gardens.

Gesila

Comments (11)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Mold. It doesn't look good, I don't think anything is effective in reversing it.

Jon

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

How about a bath in 10% chlorine (bleach)? Worth a try.
    You have green leaves, some crown and a few roots. Hey, tc's get planted with less than that! Go for it.

-Babka

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

yeah babs is right... the bleach will take care of it... looks like the effects of shredded hardwood mulch...
    John

• User
    11 years ago

No kidding. John, can shredded hardwood mulch combined with a lot of moisture lead to the mold?

I tell you, since coming here I've gained a whole new appreciation of the wonders of plain old ordinary BLEACH.

• i-like-to-grow
    11 years ago

Yup... Because it mats... Consider shredded hardwood like clay... It compacts.... Pine nuggets like sand...they just kinda float...you only want enough soil and surface density to hold the plant up straight... Anymore else is gonna suffocate the plant and cause other issues like rot and mold...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

only had two sips of coffee ...

but that stuff is a beneficial product.. actually sold to stimulate root growth etc...

i have seen it in all kinds of plants..

but for the life of me.. i cant recall the name.. micro something or another ...

when i move conifers.. i try to take it with the plant ...

if no one here answers ... try the garden clinic forum ...

in this case.. its probably from the maple roots ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

Mycorrhizal fungi

took me 3 coffees.. and some real stabbing in the dark on google.. lol ...

its BENEFICIAL ... no need to bleach it away ... you can even buy it at bigboxstore ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Gesila
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very interesting Ken. Do you suppose it was the lack of sun then that has caused this hosta to be slow growing or... was this stuff benefiting the maple tree roots more than the hosta?

Thanks!

Gesila

11 years ago

no .... the tree roots were out-competing the hosta for water ... most likely ..

i was just trying to say the the white stuff is not bad ...

obviously.. with that much root there ... it wasnt planted this year.. and i have seen the size of things you buy.. was this previously a very vigorous plant???? if so.. and it declined .... it was the maple.. not lack of sun ... [i am thinking the white center/sun issue is secondary.. if not tertiary .. the primary problem is the maple/water !!!!]

i would suspect.. that it went into last fall.. extremely dry ... and dry rotted over the winter or spring ... and struggled to 'hold' even those two buds ... never forget .. jsut becaseu you put the hose away in october.. doesnt mean the maple isnt sucking water out of the soil UNTIL the ground freezes ... here in MI ...

have i ever mentioned my hatred of maples.. lol ...

ken

• Gesila
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Ken.... never knew my backyard should be a science class!

Gesila

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

The whole tree root strangulation thing is so weird.

I've taken some pictures of our Hosta 'Dorothy' that has one section of it showing all the classic symptoms.

None of her neighbors have any signs of problems of this nature.

So it goes. Watch all yor babies, fix the problems, scratch yor head and wonder . . .

hh