Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescued Hosta Continental Divide

Posted by Gesila MI Z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 15:10

My Continental Divide has been a real slow grower. I suspected Maple tree roots was a problem, so we dug it up today. Never expected to find this white powdery substance in the soil. Any idea what it is?

Here it is, slightly smaller than when I got it last year. The hostas around it are thriving:
Photobucket

Maple tree roots and white powdery substance that is very dry despite the downpours of the last two days.
Photobucket

These roots would have swallowed this hosta up:
Photobucket

Horrible root system. I'm hoping I wasn't too late:
Photobucket

This is one good reason to bare root your hostas before planting them in your gardens.

Gesila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescued Hosta Continental Divide

Mold. It doesn't look good, I don't think anything is effective in reversing it.

Jon

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 21:27

How about a bath in 10% chlorine (bleach)? Worth a try.
You have green leaves, some crown and a few roots. Hey, tc's get planted with less than that! Go for it.

-Babka

o

yeah babs is right... the bleach will take care of it... looks like the effects of shredded hardwood mulch...
John

o

No kidding. John, can shredded hardwood mulch combined with a lot of moisture lead to the mold?

I tell you, since coming here I've gained a whole new appreciation of the wonders of plain old ordinary BLEACH.

o

Yup... Because it mats... Consider shredded hardwood like clay... It compacts.... Pine nuggets like sand...they just kinda float...you only want enough soil and surface density to hold the plant up straight... Anymore else is gonna suffocate the plant and cause other issues like rot and mold...

o

only had two sips of coffee ...

but that stuff is a beneficial product.. actually sold to stimulate root growth etc...

i have seen it in all kinds of plants..

but for the life of me.. i cant recall the name.. micro something or another ...

when i move conifers.. i try to take it with the plant ...

if no one here answers ... try the garden clinic forum ...

in this case.. its probably from the maple roots ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Mycorrhizal fungi

took me 3 coffees.. and some real stabbing in the dark on google.. lol ...

its BENEFICIAL ... no need to bleach it away ... you can even buy it at bigboxstore ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Very interesting Ken. Do you suppose it was the lack of sun then that has caused this hosta to be slow growing or... was this stuff benefiting the maple tree roots more than the hosta?

Thanks!

Gesila

o

no .... the tree roots were out-competing the hosta for water ... most likely ..

i was just trying to say the the white stuff is not bad ...

obviously.. with that much root there ... it wasnt planted this year.. and i have seen the size of things you buy.. was this previously a very vigorous plant???? if so.. and it declined .... it was the maple.. not lack of sun ... [i am thinking the white center/sun issue is secondary.. if not tertiary .. the primary problem is the maple/water !!!!]

i would suspect.. that it went into last fall.. extremely dry ... and dry rotted over the winter or spring ... and struggled to 'hold' even those two buds ... never forget .. jsut becaseu you put the hose away in october.. doesnt mean the maple isnt sucking water out of the soil UNTIL the ground freezes ... here in MI ...

have i ever mentioned my hatred of maples.. lol ...

ken

o

Thanks again Ken.... never knew my backyard should be a science class!

Gesila

o

The whole tree root strangulation thing is so weird.

I've taken some pictures of our Hosta 'Dorothy' that has one section of it showing all the classic symptoms.

None of her neighbors have any signs of problems of this nature.

So it goes. Watch all yor babies, fix the problems, scratch yor head and wonder . . .

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here