Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make your case for Top 100.....

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 15:12

So you reviewed the results and think how did this wonderful hosta not make the Top 100. I mean it only takes 3 votes to make top 100.... you only have to convince 1 or 2 more people....

Make your case for top 100 (or Top 25), what did you see that everyone else missed. Let's have a little fun with this....be a little over the top.

I have one I'll campaign for...I just have to stir the creative juices a bit first.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make your case for Top 100.....Ginsu Knife

"Hosta 'Ginsu Knife'
I present for your consideration the amazing - 'Ginsu Knife, it can cut thru a vole, yet still sharp enough to slice a slug paper thin. "How much would you pay? Don't answer!" You also get the ginsu pot and ginsu soil. "But wait there's more" - split it in two and you get two for the price of one. They would have named it the Amazing flowing cascading mound of goodness but it was too long for the form. "But wait there's more", put it with Teaspoon, Clear Fork River Valley, Abiqua Drinking Gourd and Blue Plate Special to create the Amazing Grace theme garden. Looks great in a pot. It's what Pineapple Upsidedown Cake hopes to be when it grows up.

"Call now! Operators are standing by!"
"Hosta 'Ginsu Knife'
"Hosta 'Ginsu Knife'

Paul

o
RE: Make your case for Top 100.....

Interesting choice. I like Ginsu Knife, but I wonder how much substance it has with the leaves that drape in that manner. Tell me how it does when you take it away from the safety of your deck and put it in your garden.

A much better choice would be Stingray. It will stick a spike right in the heart of Ginsu Knife. Here is your picture of it in the Larsen Garden.

Stingray Larsen Copy Pictures, Images and Photos

Notice how roomy it is. Allowing you to plant underneath the arching rippled leaves.

Here's mine in only its second year in my garden.
stingray Pictures, Images and Photos

Notice the montana shaped leaves that arch, ripple and have a leaf tip curl. Oh and you want flowers? Look at this flower bracht.
Stingray Pictures, Images and Photos

The only reason this was not a top 100 Hosta is that it has never been marketed. I don't even know if it has been TC'd. You have to work hard to find one and thus unlike a lot of the carp that ended up in the top 100, it doesn't get mentioned. Find it. It's worth it.

Steve

o

This is a great idea, Paul. I had been thinking for some time that people need to pay more attention to H. Paradise Joyce. The most popular hosta this year was June, but what about her sister? Paradise Joyce, like June, is a sport of Halcyon, the mighty parent of so many great hostas. June is English; Joyce is Dutch. Otherwise they share a lot in common. I particularly like the pale yellow phase, with the Halcyon-type blue edge. As with many here, June is among my top twenty, but I like Joyce just as much. She deserves more attention!

Paradise Joyce (4th year)
Paradise Joyce 2012

Steve

o

I must admit- I have a bias towards hosta with more substance. The thin ones just don't stand a chance in my sluggy yard so they'd never make my tops list.

Ok, I will make the case for Manhattan, which wasn't on the top 100 list but is easily in the top three of my garden. It has lots of texture, good enough substance, pie crust edges, and lovely reddish purple flowers. Oh, and I've been quite happy with the growth rate to boot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I think color contrast of bloom to leaves on Manhattan is one of my favorite.

Paul

o

Coll,

How much sun for your Manhattan? The growth rate on mine is slow, but I love the leaves and flowers. That big one that Paul took a picture of in one of the Midwest Convention gardens, was stunning. I should have voted for this one.

This is mine in year 2. I consider this slow.
Photobucket

Steve

o

Aw, c'mon, be fair, Alvatine Taylor coulda been a contender.

Close up...

Photobucket

Whole plant...

Photobucket

As it plays with others...

Photobucket

tj

o

Steve, my Manhattan is in what I would call bright shade...a few bits of direct sun mid day. I think your two year old looks great- the puckering is starting. I bet it will start to impress you next year. Mine is four years old and was about the same size as yours at that age.

o

What? Manhattan didn't make the top 100? Skews the accuracy of the results!

hh

o
Everyone should have a So Sweet

What could be prettier on your deck than a nice pot of So Sweet? She comes up with apple green leaves and a golden edge. She rises early, so she's in full leaf by mid March. Not only is she early, but, She's vibrant as she emerges. She has that look of "class" that draws your eye, like Jackie Kennedy. She's not flashy, but perfectly symmetrical and crisply defined while the other hosta are struggling to put out their leaves.

Photobucket

Within a few weeks, she's has made her metamorphous from golden beauty into a perfect, tight, rich, vibrant. green hosta with white edges. It stands tall, tight and beautiful - week after week. It never hiccups. It is this lovely cascading mound of green and white with perfect symmetry.
Photobucket

By midsummer, she's sending up scapes. The scapes never droop, but always stand at attention. The near white flowers open up into a perfect star shape. She's generous with her flowers, too. The fragrance is almost citrusy and especially lovely in the evening.

so sweet 2012
so sweet 2012

As the season winds down, and the other hosta start looking raggedy, she still looks good. She holds her shape and color well into the fall. And best of all.....she doesn't mind the sun or the heat.

Everyone should have a So Sweet. If Aden really bred this one, he did well.

bkay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here