Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Midwest Regional Hosta Society Garden Tours - July 2012

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Attended the Midwest Regional Conventions hosted by the Shades of Green Hosta Society in Rochester Minnesota this weekend. Kudos to SOGHS, as they put on a great convention.

Visited 5 gardens by bus tour on Saturday-

The first visit was to the Greene and Eckman Garden - they hand-dug the 6000 gallon pond and bogs that is at the center of their back gardens. Lots of drift of color.

I'm attaching a slideshow link for each garden posting.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Greene and Eckman Gardens

Comments (14)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second garden visited was the Truestedt Gardens. Changes to their lush wooded back yard by Dutch Elm disease and straight-line winds changed lighting opening previously unexposed areas. Sewer and water project exposed some large previously buried boulders. These have been incorporated and provide the foundation to their front yard gardens.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Truestedt Slideshow

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Third on the tour was the Farham and Johnson Gardens. Many fine hosta specimens in the raised stone wall gardens that replaced grassy areas. Over 1000 cultivars on display. A terraced hillside leading down from their cottage to the river. Lots of seating areas to review the gardens and reflect. A 3-tiered fish pond is at the center of one garden court.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Farham and Johnson Slideshow

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A garden of about ten common varieties six year again was changed after attending a friends 'garden party'. About 300 hosta varieties and lots of room for more on this 2 acre shady lot.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Keehn Slideshow

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After a bus ride backwards up a 300+ yard long curving driveway we were ready get our feet on the ground for the final garden. Early part of the slide show progresses to the top of their holy hill atop a grotto. Many spiritual and religious named plants. A swimming pond (9 1/2 feet deep) with attached bogs and connected streams and water features. And over 2000+ coleus plants of over 300 varieties that they plant from cuttings and seeds each year.

Nearer the house are many whimsical features.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Herring Slideshow

• Cher
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great tours. That last one was unreal. Didn't read what you said at first, I just kept thinking how much they must be paying for Coleus each year. Now I read they do cuttings every year. Enjoyed all your hard work getting these up for us.
    Cher

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Great slideshows, Paul. Thanks for the work in putting these together. I love the Farnham and Johnson garden. Great specimens. That's my type of garden.

Steve

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Thank you for making this for us. What a great tour. Herring Sideshow was my favorite! Paula

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Most of these gardens are requiring probably a lot of upkeep, they are beautiful. Then there is the Herring garden with all these features and sculptures, they must be artists or are spending a lot on art. Thanks! Bernd

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

I always look forward to these tours. I never get to go, so I love seeing the photos. Thanks for sharing!

Sandy

• mbug_gw
    11 years ago

Great job, Paul. Thanks for sharing!

• hostamo
    11 years ago

Great slideshows Paul.. Thanks for sharing them... was hoping someone was going to post pics. Wasn't able to attend the convention but did manage to get to Rochester yesterday to take in the leaf show and vendors area. From the people I talked to it sounds like it was a great convention.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    11 years ago

Outstanding! Thanks so much for taking the time to put these slide shows together, I really enjoyed every one of them. Got some good ideas, too and of course some new hostas added to my 'must have' list.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Paul, I am curious on a pic in the Herring slideshow, in the pic with the goat and the pic is taken between two people, is that Bob and Nancy Solberg? Sure looks like them.

I have enjoyed the sight seeing tours. Thank you.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Always happy to share.

plantbug, yes I believe you are correct.

Paul

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES