Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Formerly Unused Side of Yard

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Put this together yesterday. It's the top tier on the North side of my house. I'll work my way down, tier by tier, until I get to the 'Guacamole' massed near the bottom of the hill. Should look OK once it eventually matures/grows in.

Thanks for looking,
Don B.

EDIT: There's no gate on this side of the house, so I can plant all the way across the fence.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 15:53

Comments (10)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Looks like a nice little garden area! Thanks for sharing! Phil

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

How pretty! And it will just keep getting better, won't it, as it fills in! It will be fun to see it in a month and then next year...and the year after that and...

Cynthia

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

This will be lush and lovely! Ferns and heuchera look happy too. Is that a 'Niagara Falls' at the back?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Niagara Falls' it is, Jan. : ) Also have Harpoon, Wide Brim, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, June, Remember Me, Lakeside Coal Miner, Rhino Hide, and some variegated liriope.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

My my Don - You're acquiring more land all over the place for more hostas. Should be a very pretty little garden when it fills in - or is that out!

DD

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Nice job! Looks sooo pretty...ditto remarks...it'll be quite the 'vista' looking up the tiers from below when you are done planting...so much to look forward to.
    Jo

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Don. That is going to look great.

May I suggest that you do a bit of "fool the eye" on the fence at the far end. Find a short door or a gate, and just mount it there to look like it is a gate. Or, paint on the inside of the fence a window, then hang two old fake exterior shutters on either side. I like the gate better, with the shutter on either side or maybe a painted on urn with some painted on ferns on the fence boards. Maybe Karen would like to decide what would look good there.....huh.....get her input.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Great ideas Moc and mirrors would work behind a pretend old window frame. Niagara Falls will make quite an impression on the top tier . If and when it gets as big as McTavish Myrle's it will fill in that whole area. If so it can be lifted above all the others and still be impressive and you will be able to see the stocks and the draping leaves. You must have been keeping this area a secret and what a treasure it will be
    Faye

This post was edited by almosthooked on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 0:23

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Don, if your other tiers get filled like this one, where are you planning to step to visit them? You know, a touch here, a word there...right now you have the room, but they'll spread..just wondering..

I was also thinking, since you generously invited us to make suggestions, that this top tier is the final destination (i would view it quickly then start at the bottom and work my eye upward taking in the detail of the plants) and could have a focal point, ie., obelisk, urn, .....just following Moc's train of thought...

Thanks for letting us get involved in your project! It's fun...more fun right now than the work I have to do in my own yard!!! Lol

Can't wait to see tier two!
    Jo

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jo. I can't fill the other tiers up like this one, but I can plant against the fence and the house. I'll just have to leave myself a bit of space in the center for access. Don't need much.

Don B.