Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

The Hosta Bug - they've got it BAD!

idiothe
10 years ago

Let's see... we're a couple of hundred miles from home. We've got two kayaks, two bikes, luggage, garden sculpture, and a giant ornamental bird house. What shall we do?

Let's get a few hostas to fill up the car!

Hmmm... looks like we can use the whole trunk and backseat...

Ummm... running out of space here!

Even the fender looks hostaish!

The back seat...

And what do we do with the big honkin' bird house! Aw, heck... it's only a few hours...

Comments (10)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lol, Jim! That looks like something I (or most people here for that matter) would do! Too bad it's Illegal to tie a person or two to the roof (just kidding). I'm surprised you can squeeze any more hostas into your garden. You must have some open areas that weren't in your previous pictures.

• User
    10 years ago

HooooBOY, do they have it bad. But then, I've never had the opportunity to drive up to a hosta nursery and see how well I resist temptation to fill er up.

More space here is an option, IF we buy the house behind us, or the vacant one next to it. Lots of shade in both lots. 300 feet deep from the street, big spaces 100 feet wide. So must keep an eye out when it goes on the market. Room for display? I reckon so!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Awh heck .. there is still lots of room in the two Kayaks for at least two or three more hosta , maybe more. . I think you maybe need a pick up truck or even a little trailer to tow. So funny. I went to buy some beautiful hanging baskets while on a holiday with out camper but they were too big to fit in the camper door so had to get back my $$$

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

sent twice for some reason but still funny anyway!

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:07

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great story, almost hooked. We actually carry the dimensions of our camper door and of the shower cabinet and the clearance under the table... Seems like every year we are bringing back things for the garden and we end up not showering for a bit too long...

This is Janann and Sheila leaving our house this afternoon... and the kayaks were already fully packed with camping gear and... rocks... from the camping trip. They were like kids in a candy shop - and didn't really think how much room that many plants would take!

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

darned double posts!

This post was edited by idiothe on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:42

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Oh, I see. These people are leaving YOUR house. For some reason I thought it was you and yours on vacation. Makes sense now. :)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

So funny about the rocks too! We( or maybe it was me) brought rocks in the compartments of the motorhome all the way from Arizona to British Columbia Canada Not little ones and some so heavy I could hardly lift them. Murray said the fuel mileage was way down from all the weight. Never smuggled hosta although I wanted to. All for making a beautiful feature in the yard . Toes in picture gives some idea of size lol

• janann
    10 years ago

LOL! Oh we knew how much room they would take. We just know how to pack. We really had room for one or two more. Darn that we didn't look around quick and add a couple more. :) And we should mention that we were bringing back plants for two other people too. :) And we won't get back until next year, so we had to make it worthwhile. :) I think we should all meet at Jim's next year for a hosta forum get together. I will bring the cookies! What do you think Jim?

By the way, we had so much fun at Jim's and his garden's are gorgeous! I will try to put photos up in the next couple of days, but it might be a bit longer. Next week is RAGBRAI here in Iowa.

• idiothe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd lay in a case of champagne if people are willing to come. We love garden parties and garden tours... my only real problem is telling which stories I've told which people...