Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

My weird hosta

irawon
9 years ago

I found this plant in my mini bed this spring. I'm pretty sure I didn't plant it. It looks like a hosta seedling. The center of the leaf has an extra top layer of tissue that is shaped like an arrow. The tip is really pointed. I thought at first that the leaf was contorted because it was stepped on but all the leaves are the same. Has any one else seen anything like this?

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Comments (10)

• irawon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a close up of one of the leaves? the petiole is very flat. Could this be something other than a hosta?

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Kind of reminds me of a ventricosa leaf. Look at the leaf on the left for the best comparison

Obviously, not saying there's any relation, but the leaf tip just reminds me of that twist that ventricosa's have.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Bridegroom leaves do that strange reverse tip folding. Is there one growing some where near where it could have crossed and caused this seedling?

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I think it is just having a weird year...had a few seedlings that have done that, most grew out of it pretty quickly.

Paul

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

I hope it stays that way, Paul. What an exciting hybrid, and you could have a field day with the name.

• irawon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funn, thanks for the pic of ventricosa. I don't have that one.

Gary, I have a Bridegroom but it's about 100 feet away. I had a lot of green seedlings pop up in a different area of this bed this year. However, this seedling is really different. The leaves are very thick with extra thick tissue in the mid section as well as some ridges on the top...not particularly attractive...just interesting. Baby Bunting is close by as well as Corkscrew.

Paul, thanks for commenting. I'll keep it for the time being because it's so odd looking. It may disappear completely over winter because of its location in this raised bed.The flower looks like a Baby Bunting flower. The scape is very flat, not like Baby Bunting's at all.

Hostatakeover, thanks for taking an interest in this thread. The seedling isn't in Paul's garden.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Oops, sorry irawon. I meant I hope it stays that way for YOU.

There's my keen memory and sense of observation on display again.

• irawon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No problem, Hostatakeover. Thanks for explaining.

• newhostaaddict
    9 years ago

Yours has that same flat thing going on that I am trying to ID this Hosta for,,,

jill

• irawon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Newhostaaddict,

Nice to meet you. Read your member's page and see you've caught the hosta bug...badly...you're in like company on this forum. Everyone's willing to enable and be enabled.

I like the color and ruffles on your hosta. I haven't seen anything like it. I gather it's not a seedling. I can see the petiole of your hosta is flat like my seedling's, the tip is also very pointed. But that's about it for similarity... that is, unless my ugly duckling turns itself into a swan. LOL

If you want your hosta's ID, you should post your picture in a new thread with information such as flower colour and bloom time as well as how long you've had it. That will bring your question to the top of all the threads and get more attention. Some indication re size would also be helpful. Good luck and see you around.