Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

what is most prized possession??

hostacats
9 years ago

What is your most prized hosta??
How much was the most you ever paid for a hosta?? Do you still have it??
I'm just curious as to what you all have, since mine are all pretty much juvenile and more of the common named ones that what I have seen on this forum. Starting to get fancier names but they are probably all old news to some of you guys.

Michelle

Comments (47)

• User
    9 years ago

Well, you must have just posted this question. How can I be first?

Actually my most prized hosta (two of them) were gifts received this year from Land Of The Giants. (LOTG)

First was Dorothy Benedict. I have been in AWE of this hosta since I began browsing HostaLibrary pictures. Legendary. Lovely. Unique. And a good breeder to boot.

and the second one is a gift from LOTG as well. It is also a breeder, a streaker. Maybe my taste is evolving, my knowledge is for sure.

Sally And Bob

In most cases with me, it is the memory that compelled me to acquire the plant that makes it a treasure, Not the price. In most cases I say I don't remember how much any of them cost, because then it doesn't seem like I spent any money at all. :) My DH is good about calculating the population density of my hosta garden (head count) and I don't want him to get the idea of calculating the expenditure side of it. Because buying them is only tip of the iceburg re cost.

• jennaj_z4mn
    9 years ago

I bought a Limburger Cheese last fall, I think I paid $60 for it...it's only one eye, but has beautiful streaking!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Today, my most prized hosta would also be my largest, H. 'Sagae'. It was free from a departing/moving neighbour. Perhaps it is a tie. Lancifolia was my very first hosta with great sentimental value. Yes, it's a tie!

My most expensive is H. 'Confused Angel' at $55 and new this year. It may become my most prized hosta...we shall wait and see. I decided I wasn't going to do anything with it but enjoy watching it grow in my garden.

I paid $40 for Fingerprint (had no idea of price, just wanted it) and just under $29 for H. 'Sparkler' this year and back in the mid 90`s, I paid $35 for a Queen Josephine. All the rest vary between 15-30....which is why I am so happy to pay 7or8 at the local grocery store garden centre in early spring when their stock comes in.

If I really, really love a hosta, I pay whatever...I would make sure it had the most eyes though!

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my Lord!! I'm obviously a newbie!! I always count how many eyes there are, always. LOL......and because I don't make much money I don't spend much on them either. Of course I always just bought what was available in our city here. Compared to you guys, I guess I am cheap!!! The most I've ever paid for a hosta was $20 and that was two of them this year. One is Revolution and the other I "THOUGHT" was Blue Hawaii but when I got home I must have accidentally picked up the one beside the blue Hawaii, cuz that is called Julie Morss...which I had never heard of before either.
    This year is also the first year I started buying online.
    My biggest hosta is an oldie and that's Frances Williams, and doing great with not many brown edges ever to this one. One I think will be really nice for me is dream queen, I think its pretty. I have a queen josephine but it has never done well in its location, I suppose it should be moved. Right now I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on a hosta....I'd be scared it would die through the winter!!

Very interesting.

Michelle

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

The nice June that my neighbor split off her plant to give to me.

Paul

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I've never spent more then $20 for a hosta and I thought that was a lot. It's a tough decision but I will have to say...

Awakening Angel - Stunning blue

{{gwi:1015500}}

On Stage

Raucous Ruffles - A future contender
    {{gwi:1038549}}

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 20:49

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul I do have a june fro this year...hope its stays nice.
    DD I like awakening angel, I've always liked the ones with white so of course I'm going to like on stage, and the last one is nice too....for some odd reason I try and stay away from just greens but I seem to have enough of those too. I've never heard of raucous ruffles...I like its leaves.

Michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nobody has ever given me a hosta or a piece of a hosta. Nobody seems to really know anything about them, except for me, and I'm not that well educated when it comes to the people on this forum. I'm being called obsessive by some people because I like them so much. gees leave me alone....its something I enjoy!! lol

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

interesting question. I have a 10-year old elegans that I wouldn't part with for less than $150 ⦠other than that, I'd said it my be my Revolution (been really picky) or my Leading Lady.

I had a Leading Lady and split it with my friend, Drew. Mine died, so Drew split his and gave me back a piece. His died. Then I kept it for two years and split it again, and this time both of them lived. My friend has since passed away, so I would probably say that Leading Lady would be the last thing with which I would part.

dave

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

My most prized is also my newest and almost most expensive. Sheila MacQueen. I'm holding my breath on this one, it is supposed to be a glossy green and white streaker but what I have is solid green and not necessarily glossy. I got it from a reputable mail order company listed on the Hosta Library so hopefully it is correct.

The "prize" to me is really in the name "Sheila" but that is a loooong sad story for another time.

I've asked before if anyone has one of these or any experience with it but never got a reply.

Jerry

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting Dave. I don't know what leading lady is, but I do know about revolution, and that was my $20 plant for this year. I actually ordered another one online just because I thought revolutions streaks were so neat.

Michelle

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Michelle, I too have never paid over $20 for a hosta either and were small when I got them for $6.99 and some around $10. If you find a place in the late summer and if you got a month or so you may bet some for a bargain price . I think you would love touch of class hosta . If you are still around in the spring I could maybe find a couple pieces I could send you if you are interested. All mine are on their third year and are starting to rub shoulders already.
    Keep looking and you will find the ones that you love. I like the vase shaped ones like Krossa Regal.
    Faye

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Kiwi Full Monty is a prized possession and grew very fast for me. Love all the colors

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OHHHH kiwi full monty is on my wishlist for this year!!!
    FAYE I would LOVE that!! As for Krossa Regal I have but its still small. I have found blooms Canada online on eye roots for $4.99-$7.95 right now....so I ordered ten and still waiting for that order.....and depending what they look like I may get more. Shopping around here or in Saskatoon at this time of year ends up with nothing.
    Lots of my hostas in older bed are touching shoulders and then some....so they will have to be moved, the smaller ones anyways.

Michelle

Michelle

9 years ago

Michelle, I'm joining Faye....if you are interested, I'd like to send you a division of my Striptease, of which KFM is a sport. I have two good sized ones and can spare some for sure. I'll attach a pic here for you.

My email address is enabled on my members page. Drop me a line if you wish. I've never sent any plants in the mail, so I will have to pick Faye's brain if she doesn't mind. This should be easy from province to province, I think?

Jo

9 years ago

Here is a shot of the bluer one. They are both taking on more gold in the centre. A popular family of hostas!

• User
    9 years ago

It seems from the responses so far, the most prized has more to do with sentiment than dollars.

I am sentimental about the hosta which started my obsession. Mama plantaginea, the fragrant species plant. I have several more of this plant, but there is only one "mama" for me.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I get lots sent in the mail from Ontario at Hosta Choice and from fundy beauties( Hosta Geek) in Nova Scotia. They are shipped in wet paper towel and a plastic bag with washed roots, then wet newspaper to protect roots. It took approx. 10 days and they were just fine in the mail, when the arrived. Mark perishable on the package or live plant and as long as they don't come from the US it can be shipped anywhere in Canada.
    I see they have Kiwi Full Monty on sale at Blooms Canada until July 15th. The prices seem really good but never heard of them before

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

I dont know the name of my prize possession hosta, because I stole it, literally digging it out of the garden it was happily living in. Why would i do something so horrible? LONG STORY, but looking back, I should have dug the whole damn garden.
    It spreads by rhizome, has about 9" leaves, and is a mid-shade green with some streaking. I assume its a japanese hosta.

9 years ago

LOL...and it sounds like it would be a great story, Unbidden! Have a pic of this green streaker? Love to see it.

Thanks, Faye for the packing and shipping info! I really appreciate it.

Spring it is then, Michelle if you are interested. Shipping good sized pips must be a lot easier than fully leafed-out hostas. I'll separate a division in the next few days, and it will have your name on it! I'll remember to post a pic so you can see it.

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

Mine is my Albomarginata. It is my first hosta or plant EVER that I haven't killed within a couple of months. I think I paid about $8 4years ago at Walmart for her.
    Here she is today...

• User
    9 years ago

For sentimental reasons, I'll always love prairie moon and Irish luck. Even though they're new this year so still small, but it's because my 10 year old son bought them for me at the AHS convention in June.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

OK, you guys are making me look bad! Where's Don, Jim, etc., I know they have dropped some serious coin on hostas! Alright, I'll fess up...

The most expensive hosta I've purchased is Gunther's Prize OS for $115. Yep, it's true. I wanted OS (Originator Stock, for the newbies on this thread) and I got it! The most prized is a tie between my first hosta, a great big Guacamole in a pot and probably one of my sports that are yet unnamed--deciding which one would be like choosing among children, so that would be tough. I am rather partial to the yellow, green and white streaked one that sported from Francee, though.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

I think mocc got it right: it's not how much you paid but what it means to you (sentiment) that makes a hosta your prized one. Probably we have all learned that it's not a good idea to get too attached to any of them. I have bought two Revolutions over the years and have none in the garden; it just won't grow for me. My most expensive was T. Rex, but that was in a silent auction for the local Botanic Society and more a contribution than a purchase price. When all is said and done, the ones that give the most enjoyment are often ones that cost very little ($12 or less): Gold Standard, Guacamole, Alex Summers, Blue Angel, Sagae, and the various blues are favorites in my garden.

Steve

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

I have most expensive and favorite rolled into one - Gunther's Prize was $80. It took me a year to work myself up to spending that much on a hosta, but it was a case of true love. I've never regretted the purchase, although I was so nervous about it I took off one eye that looked like it MAYBE was going green. Fortunately the eye rooted and stayed streaked, because the big plant looks like it has Southern Blight. The original hosta has been treated with Bayer's 3-in-one and hasn't gotten any worse. Fingers crossed!

Steve,

Try Clifford's Comet. It looks just like Revolution and has been tougher and more stable for me. It does like a lot of sun.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Other than a charity auction, the most I ever paid for a hosta was about $30.00. That includes one of my favorites, Paul's Glory. It was an impulse buy. It was a huge plant and I've been very pleased. In that same price range and size, was Olive Bailey Langdon and Big Daddy. The jury is still out on Big Daddy. OBL burns worse than Frances Williams, which was a huge disappointment. It's a really pretty hosta up north.

bk

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I guess mine would be Sharp Dressed Man,which I got form the man himself,Bob Solberg,when he was at a nursery near here. I think I paid $30. for it back in 2009. Here it is today,planted in front of two huge Oak trees in my gar

den. Phil

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost hooked I got my first shipment from blooms Canada, and because I chose the mystery box of one eyed hostas they are smaller but still cheap. I will take some pictures and post right away

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unbidden post a picture and maybe somebody on here can identify it???

Thank you Josephine, I'll accept anything, and be happy whenever it comes, Truly appreciated!!

Brandy your hosta is huge and lovely! And the one on the left looks awesome too!!

Funnthsun...ouch.....that's a lot of money...hope it never dies. You talk about one of your sports.....ummm are you a breeder or just happened to get lucky and produce a different hosta??

Steve what zone are you in for revolution to not last for you??? I have two in my garden from this year and just got another one from Ontario....so maybe this won't survive for me either. I am zone 3.

Bk, I had a pauls glory that didn't last for me, and just got another one this year, but I fear he may not survive again as I've read now that he is a zone 4 hosta??? Olive Bailey Langdon I also have and so far so good, but he isn't very big, colors on leaves looks awesome even though its still small. Big daddy was another one that I tried many times and failed with but I do have one that is thriving and still small so far.

Loved to hear all what you guys have...awesome..

michelle

9 years ago

Michelle, you are a riot! Olive is like Frances...a female name, lol...but you go ahead and do your thing and call them "he" and I'll just keep chuckling when I see it. Thanks for the giggles. ;-)

Big Daddy is slow for some, faster for others...as long as he hangs in there, that's all that matters. Brought mine from the cottage as he never exceeded three leaves...no wonder, growing on rock with about 6" of soil and no one except Ma Nature to sustain him.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL..... Josephine!! I know I'm always calling everything "HE" Have to quit that....but its a habit!! I took pictures of my baby hostas...now to post!

michelle

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I guess it has to be the plant that started my addiction: My Fortunei Aureomarginata, the first hosta I ever got. Just keeps getting bigger and nicer every year, and never has a hint of insect damage. I think I paid 2.99 for it in 2009.

Don B.

P.S. The most I've ever paid for a hosta, I think, was 22 bucks for my Liberty.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:55

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok hosta people....these are the one eyed babies I got today!! They need a drink fast!
    Rainforest Sunrise on the left...Wolverine towards the front in the middle...Revolution in middle towards back and on the right is Color glory.
    Not very good pictures I know....Can you tell??? Or do I need another photo???

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok these three are tiny on left is grand slam.....American halo in middle and Abiqua moonbeam on right....and my wonderful holder of coors light!! LOL

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last three are summer breeze.....on left captain kirk in middle and pineapple upside down cake on right!!

michelle
    Although they are small babies I am excited!!!

I guess I better soak them now.....

{{!gwi}}

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture didn't show up last time???

9 years ago

Michelle, that is a great haul! For one-eyed hostas, they are full and pretty perky looking! If these were mine, I'd be happy with them! You've got a nice assortment and some I don't have.

Happy planting! :-)

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yay!! I did good!!! LOL...these are from Blooms Canada, and I think this is only their second season online...I think...if I'm wrong then I'm mistaken them for somebody else!! OOps.
    Because they are nice and so cheap end of season I think I am ordering another mystery box or two...... He's great the man that owns it, its called a mystery box so whatever he puts in but he'll also accommodate you for those you don't want doubles on!!

michelle

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Michelle,

I am sure you will do fine with Revolution. I recommend morning sun and then shade, and lots of water. But who am I to give advice on this one? I've seen the Blooms Canada ads and have been tempted. Looks like you did very well. Best of luck. It's great to see someone from Saskatchewan here.

Steve

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve! I am putting another order together for blooms Canada, and I have a friend getting hooked on hostas and shes getting together with me to make a big order from them.
    Thanks, am I the only Saskatchewan person on here?? I think so, cuz I seen nobody from zone 3 yet. What about Alberta or Manitoba???

michelle

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Michelle,

No, not a breeder (well, of hostas, anyway. Can't say I'm completely not a breeder, I breed labradoodles!) I just seemed to have quite a few sports this year, seemed to be the year for it. I think I ended up having like 6 or 7 different ones. I need to collect them all and take a group pic, they're all in pots right now. It was great to have several new babies to watch over the season. We'll see if they all survive next year.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funnthsun......remind me again what a sport is??? remember I'm fairly new at this. A sport is where the new shoot is not attached to parent plant?? Or growing away from parent plant?? Or is a sport something that just looks different from parent plant??

michelle

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Michelle - My Raucous Ruffles, planted last September, was one eye, and you can see from my photo how well its grown this year. It's going to be a killer hosta. Sadly, I lost my Revolution also. I'll have to look up Clifford's Comet since it is sun tolerant. I've had difficulty growing Independence,too, but it's hanging in there.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

Gee I wish Hostanista were here to tell you about this. She makes the birds and bees interesting again.

I'd say that a sport is a rogue eye growing on the same crown as the rest of the plant. but with a different leaf color/design/size/character/whatever. It is surgically (cut out with a knife) removed and becomes a different and new plant, with only ONE parent. It is an interesting thing when hosta mutate like that. They gave the name of "sport" to the process and to the new plant.

And Michelle, you have some new prized possessions there. They are small for sure, but you got them in time for the root systems to grow sturdy before first frost. They look great to me. If the eyes are healthy, then you have a GOOD bargain with the mystery box.

As persistent as you've been with hosta even after losing some and such an extreme zone .....you are a hooked hosta fan! Thing is, they are worth it, don't you agree? You have the extreme cold zone, mine is the extreme hot/humid zone. So we are the far ends of the hosta universe. Pioneering takes determined people, and I think you are not giving up.
    What you learn will be helpful to others who might not be as observant or as persistent. So don't hesitate to ask questions and to share your experience with what works and what doesn't work.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 23:13

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DD...your ruffles hosta has done well growing from being just the one eye!! wow.

moccasinlanding thanks for the sport explanation, I knew it was something like that. I am not giving up on hostas.....I'm totally addicted, and even though I am in zone 3 I don't worry about that, as long as we get good snow coverage. I do lose some and I was sad about it, but seems like everybody for one reason or another loses some whether cold zones, in between zones or hot zones. As for the people around here who know nothing about hostas, they will learn from me and what I learn. I tell my husband everyday when I learn something new. He's bored with my hosta news, but I'm excited have to tell somebody!! That's why I'm also glad nI'm getting a girl from work hooked on hostas too...she's having fun learning stuff from me, and I'm NO EXPERT!!

michelle

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

$29 for Golden Meadows and worth every penny!

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostas for Barb......I just checked up images for Golden Meadows, wow that's a very nice hosta indeed!!!

michelle