Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue hosta ID confusion....

Posted by woodyoak 5 (Canada) (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:06

I moved a chunk of big blue hosta into the front garden two years ago to smother out some couchgrass that was trying to creep in. This year the hosta has put on some size - and has been blooming spectacularly! Which has drawn my attention to the flowers on the big blue ones around the patio.... And it has become clear that some of these things are not what I thought they were based on the tags they came with! For instance, I thought both the big blue ones side by side on the north side of the patio were Bressingham Blue. Earlier in the year they looked much the same but now, having noticed that their flowers are different, I also notice that their leaves are considerably different from each other now compared to what they were in the spring. I think this one is Bressingham Blue...:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

...because the flowers (while starting to fade now) look much like those on this one elsewhere in the garden which is also supposed to be Bressingham Blue:

This one that sits beside the Bressingham Blue on the patio is now clearly different in both flower and leaf shape:

It looks very much like this one near the end of the adjacent side of the patio. This one was supposed to be Elegans:

It was a division of that one that I moved to a full sun position in the front garden where it has been blooming fabulously - it made sense of a comment I read recently in a book by Christopher Lloyd that implied he grew hostas for their flowers. This one is making a nice contribution to the front flower garden now:

I posted these two pictures here earlier in the spring - the differences between the various big blue ones are less obvious - to me at least! - in these pictures:

It doesn't really matter a lot to me which names go with what - other than it makes me look a bit stupid when people ask and I don't know! :-) What is your opinion on the right names for these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue hosta ID confusion....

Differentiating the big blue ones is difficult, I think. Many are so similar. I can't help you except to say, I agree they are different. Actually, I was just getting ready to post a pic of one I think I got mislabeled.

o

Whatever they are,you sure have some beautiful hostas there.

o

the second one has pointed leaves.. compared to the first.. which usually leads me to blue angel ...

but as noted above... a blue hosta without a name tag.. is a blue hosta... we love guessing... but not many fit the ten foot rule.. where there is no confusion as to what they are ...

but they are surely well grown.. congrats...

ken

o

I love this big blue beasts, whatever their names are... And now I won't feel bad about not being sure what they are - thank you.

o

Woodyoaks, I remember your lovely garden, so pleased to see you come back with these photos of hosta in bloom. Those are giant sized alright! Impressive. Your observations are the best proof of what you have. Hopefully one day I'll have at least ONE big blue, think it could be Blue Angel, although it was a Lowes purchase which makes the actual name a toss-up. At least it had no HVX and it looks healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here