Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to choose

Posted by maggiepie (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 16:06

Between Brother Stephan and Rhino Hide.
They both look fantastic but I can only have one of them ( at least this year)

Does anyone grow both of these and if so do you have a preference for either one and if so, why?

I've been picking one and changing my mind to the other for more than a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to choose

Since RH is slower to get going....I'd get that one started. Besides how many cupped two-color blues are there.

Paul

o

Brother Stephan.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 18:08

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:42

Very tough choice.....when you can't decide remember There is always room for just one more!!

o

Well, I have both and I'd say it would matter more of what you already have in your garden, that would be what would make my decision. Do you have a lot of yellow centered hostas. Then go with Rhino Hide. Do you need some brightness? Go with Brother Stefan. That, and if you are patient or impatient. Here's my Brother Stefan

20140530_160314.jpg

I'd have to say Brother Stefan is a really great hosta, fast grower, gorgeous and gets corrugated pretty early on, giving it a mature look quickly.

Rhino Hide is a slow one, but very unique, also. Thick substance (of course) and beautiful colors, but patience is needed.

Untitled

If I were choosing, I think I would choose Brother Stefan. I just can't resist the brightness of that hosta, it looks like it is lit from within.

o

I had not realized Brother Stephan turned so goldy in Summer. I love the spring colours but am not overly fond of gold hostas, have been looking at pics at the hosta library.

I love chartreuse, Rich Uncle and Choo Choo Train are looking really nice at the moment, despite the early frost damage, I can imagine how they would have looked without the damage.

Thanks for the help, have decided to go with Rhino Hide.

o

Good choice. Its what I was going to recommend also. Mainly for the same reasons stated above. Slow grower, so get it going now. Please post pics when you get it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here