Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paul's Glory or something else?

Posted by bungalowmonkeys 6 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 16:07

After reading the posts yesterday about record keeping and photos, I went outside and started snapping pics of my small, but growing collection. About a month ago Paul's Glory was on sale at kmart for $2.50 each. Grabbed 4 of them. Three look exactly the same and the 4th not so much. The top two photos are what i'm assuming are Paul's Glory since they are from the 3 that look the same. The third got nibbled down to one leaf by a deer, so I didnt bother including a pic. Is that bottom pic also Paul's Glory or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paul's Glory or something else?

I'm lousy at hosta identification, but if I had to guess, the top ones look like Gold Standard and the bottom one like Great Expectations. GE is a nice hosta.

One of the Hosta ID aces will probably give you better advice.

o

The last pic looks like possibly two different hosta in the same hole.

Paul

o

del dup post

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:15

o

Top two pics are Paul's Glory (PG). Bottom pic, definitely a different one.

o

don't panic... it may be because I don't have my readers on (n I should) but does it look like possible ink bleed in one leaf @ 5 o'clock on the bottom pic, to anyone else?

o

We would need to see a better photo to talk about ink bleed. The thing that makes me think it's not a problem is that the veins themselves appear to be the correct color. I closer look would be warranted to draw any kind of conclusion, though.

bk

o

Here is the pic full size. If it is two plants in one, how can you tell? I tried to look at the base this morning and those darker leaves are all mixed in it with the bigger lighter leaves. It doesn't seem like they have their own little cluster at the base. Should I dig it up and rinse the soil off to get a better look and see if there is seperation?

o

ID is hard on young plants... they can get you into the ballpark .. but it wouldnt hurt to come back for a year or two... and keep checking the ID ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here