Christmas in July!

luckyladyslipper
9 years ago

My Hallsons order just arrived!

Comments (25)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

isnt it a thrill ...

they look just like they did last week.. when i visited Hs ...

i would tape them up well ... goodly ... more betterer ... whatever ...

and i would snip off the flowers for transplant ...

ken

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Lucky you! Enjoy them...

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Well, list the names! What did you get?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Awesome, gotta love it. In my opinion, it's better than Christmas...No In-Laws!!

What did you get??? Do I see a Sagae in there? Perhaps a June Fever??

Don B.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

It is better than Christmas, no cooking either! :) Nice haul! Looking forward to more pictures and hearing what each one is!

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

That's like teasing!! Got to let us know what you got.
    Enjoy them all!

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ordered 2 Queen Josephines (to go near 2 Gold Standards); 1 Teaspoon (because I seem to always buy variegated, Large or Giant ones); and Undulata (because I no longer had any from my mother's garden). Then, Chris added a Justine as a bonus.

Got all in the ground except Justine, as I hadn't had a place picked out for her.

So, Ken, what do you mean "I would tape them up well?"

• User
    9 years ago

This is "taping".....and this time my tape is not the low tack blue masking tape, but some old 1/2 inch cream colored masking tape.. If they are tall, I poke a piece of bamboo or a piece of a 1/2 inch dowel/broom stick/bird perch in there to help hold the tall ones erect.

The tape holds the petioles up so the leaves don't go into a state of collapse. Easier to do it while they are full of water than when they are limp and floppy. You'll see if they are in sunshine, this is a harsh time of year to be planting. Oh it can be done, just do it to help the plant along.

I also use hair clips where they won't pinch the petioles. Sometimes I use them to hold up flowering scapes when they get too heavy and block the paths.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

This is amazing getting plants that look great in July. Most places around here that still have some either look like crap or I already have.
    I am getting an order shipped to me from Ontario, this order has ten plants in there, I hope they are as nice as what you just got.

Michelle

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mocc, what's that hosta you have taped up in your last pic on the right? It says Island Charm, but can't tell if it's that one or the one behind it. Looks too big for Island Charm, what is it? Huh, huh, huh????? :)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Have fun- they look like they just came out of the ground, not a shipping carton.

In case you didn't catch it in Mocc's instructions, DO NOT use the blue tape. It sticks too hard and will rip leaves. You want tape with just enough grip to hold onto itself for a couple weeks.
    Also tape loosely. The fat yarn that was popular for packages years ago is great, too, if you can still find it. I just tie a bow and then untie and save the yarn for the next plant.

• User
    9 years ago

Ah yes, Funn.
    The tall guy is Summer Serenade.
    The greenie on its left is the sport I removed from it. Major surgery, it was two complete eyes of green.

Since it is a sort of lime green, I was hoping it was a reversion to Piedmont Gold, which I lost during the winter. But, it did not show signs of going gold on me, so I went ahead and ordered Piedmont Gold in my EMERGENCY order. I would like to see what the greenie sport could be. It has a leaf shape like its parent Summer Serenade.

That gives me two new greenies this year. For sure Summer Serenade's is a sport grown from the crown. I had to cut it off.

The other greenie is one I removed from Brother Stefan. It was NOT part of the crown, it was a separate eye. Which makes me wonder if it was a tissue culture failure. It came from Naylor and the Boyz frequently put two separate eyes into a plant to make one plant order.This particular Brother Stefan arrived March 2013 from Naylor....so don't think Bro Stefan sported, It was TC process.

Is that too much info? :)

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mocc and MadPlanter. I'll go out tomorrow and do what I can. I do know that Hallsons dug them immediately before shipping, and they arrived a day or 2 after they were shipped. I can't imagine a better company to order from. But it will still be a shock to the plants, so I may try taping them. Thanks again for the lesson.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

My gosh you guys are all so full of information no matter which thread I read. I have lost tags on mine before and now that I am INTO hostas I'm not good at identifying or knowing who the parents are or if its a sport or hybrid or what have you.
    Learn learn learn right???

• playinmud
    9 years ago

Nice haul, and a lot of great info. Gotta get some tape. :) this forum is full of invaluable knowledge! I bought one of the saucer sleds to drag plants around in that was a recommendation of someone's. I went to a church sale and got an old metal one for $2, it's better than a wheelbarrow.

And would love to see pics of them planted too.

• User
    9 years ago

A SAUCER SLED?
    Is it really a sled?
    I've never seen a sled such as a saucer.
    However, I bet it is close to a copper fire pit which sits on a wrought iron tubular stand. I was thinking of planting the fire pit with miniatures and ornamenting it with miniature garden art items (Ritten House order arrived from Canada!). But if it works better than a wheelbarrow, I could use the firepit like you plan to use your saucer sled. Maybe try dragging it down my mulched paths instead of a dolly that balks at crossing the stepping stones.

Sounds like a great idea.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mocc,

Yes indeed, my friend, I saw a record number of the saucer sleds here in Colorado last winter. The kids just love 'em.

Here's a cool Batman one. Spoiled little brat in the pic could at least LOOK happy. Kids these days!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yup moc, it is like a giant frisbie.

We had blue and red ones years ago, with cute little plastic handle things to carry them with, or hold on to when spinning down the hill ... then we had snowball fights and used them as shields ⦠Hated it. ha!

dkB

• User
    9 years ago

Bragu, took one look at the picture and decided, FRISBEE. Then read your post. I think maybe I could use my copper fire pit which is a bit of that shape, although it would make a great mini hosta planter. But I'll give it a go. Two bucks is plenty cheap but free is even better. :)

When we moved contents of my DH's home south, one thing we brought was his cross country skis. I plan to hang them crossed in one end of my Teahouse studio. He could not part with them. Not much snow in these parts you know. Not even on the worst winter's day.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Every gardener needs a saucer sled, because you can easily place a large hosta or a small conifer on it and drag it across the lawn and landscape to its new location. I did that small conifer dragging across the street to my neighbor. This transport works very nicely. Soil will mostly stay on the roots, especially when you tie it together with burlap.
    Bernd

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Cool idea, but for me I like better my wagon. Its actually a yardworks wagon meant for doing yard work and hauling stuff. Use it all the time.

• User
    9 years ago

I have a really nice wagon. I can take the sides off etc, and haul bags, or put the liner on and haul loose mix or mulch or manure....whatever.....

However, lifting a heavy pot on/off te wagon is a bit much for me these days. I like the idea of simply rolling some heavy rootball or heavy pot onto the sled no lifting UP just sliding on and off. I save my strength for more productive labor, i.e. bending my elbow after the sun is over the yardarm. :)

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Hahaha moccasinlanding, funny!! It totally makes sense what you just said, I am not strong either, if its too heavy for me I wait for the hubby! :) :)

• irawon
    9 years ago

Luckyladyslipper, great Xmas in July. I'm looking forward to your Xmas in August.

I'm getting on in years (and so is hubby). I'm all for moccasin's method for bending elbow... in moderation that is.

• User
    9 years ago

Irawon, my hero of American history, bless his heart, was a man who believed "all things in moderation." Except women, I'm afraid. ......Benjamin Franklin.

In my case, everything except hostas.