Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

chief sitting bull hosta

hostacats
9 years ago

Does anybody have chief sitting bull hosta?? Do you like it?? AND when they say a plug that means teeny tiny growth and small root system, the begginings of a hosta. $18.95 for a plug!! Yikes...maybe I won't get that.

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no TC plug is worth that..

let someone else lose 50% of them.. and grow on the remainder ..

and buy it in a few years ... at around $38 .... or triple ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

I thought it was one of Van Wade's Native American series. Yep. It is an XL hosta, no origin listed in MYHOSTAS.BE web site. THis is what they give about it though:

[quote]
    Indian Series.
    It is named for a chief of the Lakota Tribe, a sub-tribe belonging to the Sioux Indian Nation. This magnificent blue-green hosta reaches 55 in. wide x 24 in. tall at maturity. The ample 15 in. leaves boast a wavy edge and are well-puckered with good substance.
    Forms a massive mound of deep green foliage topped by attractive pale lavender flowers in July.
    [end quote]

Very dark green. Highly corrugated, somewhat like Black Hills..

Michelle, take a look at Clear Fork River Valley. It doesn't get XL size, but it is a hosta which develops its rumpled leaf very early in life.

and here is Black Hills with Alex Summers

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yes, i have it. i too got a "liner" but not at that steep price. very few tc (and none that i can think of) are worth that, IMHO

it is being very slow, and am thinking i shoulda just used the ten bucks i spent as TP.

unless you are familiar with liners, would not recommend them. That being said, I do dozens a year. I did another 2 dozen this week. 12 BME and 12 CFRV. Almost out of pots, so i need to stop.

dave

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I just checked the hosta finder for Chief Sitting bull.

Wade - $20.
    (and 8 others) all between $10. and $25.

Obviously, I think $38.00 for a liner is crazy.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:22

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK Dave, I'm a newbie and I don't understand what IMHO means, nor do I know what 12 BME or 12 CFRV. Sorry...
    Right now from blooms Canada I got those one eyed hostas I posted not that long ago. AND I'm getting another 20. They cost me $5.29 each and that's also including the taxes and shipping charges to that price. The ones I got yes were small and only one eye, but they were healthy and good enough for me.
    A plug is basically a tissue culture one. Where I saw this was on Veseys seeds for fall planting. But I have never liked their prices. A few years back though that's where I grabbed a grab bag of unknown tiny eyes, but don't remember costs...probably too much money!! AND they are mainly all the same .......one type is green and and the other types remind me of like francee or Antioch or something. NOT MANY assorted kinds.

Thanks for the info guys.....no chief sitting bull for me.

Moccasin I LOVE that dark green corrugated look.

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not buying a teeny tiny hosta for $18.95 and definitely won't spend $38. I like prices that are lower...but sometimes you get what you pay for. I just can't afford high prices. Hence why I have so many small ones I guess. And I was also in the habit of counting eyes on a hosta and seeing how many plants I could make out of it. Did that at the lake.
    This year had a big hosta in the front that I wanted gone, and no I don't know what it was. I dug out, and moved to the back and made six plants out of it to go around the pond in an area......not enough plants and they still had lots of eyes on each. The outer leaves didn't fair well, because of the move and the chopping but all new plants have sprouted a few new leaves each already. All I know is that its green!! LOL

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jesus, I just checked out veseys site and they are all expensive for a 2 1/4" plug. Most expensive is $23.95 for avocado, sumsational and cotton candy. Too rich for my blood and you can get these cheaper at other places.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

IMHO = In my humble opinion

12 BME = 12 units Blue Mouse Ears

12 CFRV = 12 units Clear Fork River Valley

dave = Dave

HTH (Here To Help) ; )

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Michelle , check out the prices at Hosta Choice. I paid $15.00 for Chief Sitting Bull this season and then found one locally for $8.99 and it has 5 shoots and doing well
    ( both are) This was from Hosta Choice in Ontario mail order. Also got an new Avocado for $9 and it has 7 shoots . You could also check out Fundy Beauty fall prices when his fall sale starts.. really good extra large ones are worth their weight and just like you have had them planted for years and approx. $15 too. Sometimes it is worth getting less plants and larger ones

• jimr66
    9 years ago

I saw it for sale today at a home hardware store 19.95 less 30% clearance sale 3 division 1 gallon plant. I guess I should get it....

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don awesome thanks....I guess you learn all these things when you are on here for a long time. Its hard to try and figure out when somebody is talking...have asked a few times, what you talking about, and other times they mention first so am able to understand after. Hehehe

Thanks for the heads up to hostas in Ontario almost hooked. I will check that out. But with another twenty coming next week I might be stopping this year until spring starts again. But don't we always say that?? Can't get anymore and we get another thirty!!!

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Jim, better than paying $20 for a teeny tiny plug!!!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Jim and Faye; Great deals, indeed!

Don B.

P.S. Just looked it up, great pics in Hosta Library. Sure looks like it'll be a great one.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:52

• User
    9 years ago

Michelle, you are going to be just fine. You have a very practical and well considered point of view, and are aware of what you will and will not do. I find it refreshing. Say it like it is, that is what I hear......You go, girl! :)

You might not place an order for delivery this fall, but it would be a good idea, if you have your eye on some "special" hosta, to order it this fall/winter for delivery next spring. You get a good discount that way. Wait and see. I think that happens up in Canada too....somebody correct me if I'm wrong, would not want to steer HostaCats wrong here.

Glad you liked the CFRV (Clear Fork River Valley). I do not have a BME (Blue Mouse Ears). Pretty soon you figure it out...or maybe not, some I never know. But it must not concern me or I would know....that's the way I look at it.

What me WORRY?

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It will take a long time for me to figure out the abbreviations for hostas...cripes there are too many that I never heard of. I need to keep track of which hostas I have. Once started that, but I am always unhappy with my gardens and always move things around. Or like in the start of getting hostas, I just planted, I have a very nice fire and ice growing in a back row with other hostas. I want to move him but this plant is always so nice. I guess he shall stay there until I can no longer see him amongst the bigger ones, but I think that's still a year or two away. One fire and ice is all green dark green and not very big and he is also in back row near BIG plants. I think I am still going to move that one. AND I cannot cull any hostas. Had a hard time getting rid of the HVX ones broke my heart!! LOL
    michelle

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I happened to take a picture of CSB when I was at Wade and Gatton the other day. They did not have any available for sale at this time. I want one.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nice looking plant!!

• User
    9 years ago

A lot of really great hosta are coming out of Van Wade's nurseries. Especially in the Native American series.

I have Navajo and Mascouten. I am waiting for Cherokee to hit the market, since that tribal blood runs in my veins according to family tradition. My family came out of North Carolina into the hills of Alabama back in the early settlement of this state...when the federal government was paying the soldiers with land in new territory. When you think about it, we don't have a looong history and are not that far removed from pioneering days.

Mascouten, a fragrant hosta, was once named Green Summer Fragrance. Van Wade changed it to a tribal series name.

Navajo is a pretty hosta with nice purple flowers and a bit of ruffling of the margins