Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mislabeled Blue Umbrella?

Posted by hostahosta Z6OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:13

Bought this labelled as Blue Umbrellas. Two years old and I'm now thinking it doesn't look like BU. It looks exactly like my Blue Angel, including exactly matching bloom time and flower appearance. Any thoughts? Anyone have pics of Blue Umbrellas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mislabeled Blue Umbrella?

id say you already figured it out...

when flower times match perfectly .. where can you go otherwise???

BA was my guess.. before i read the rest of your words... its those pointed ends ... as compared to BUs beachball round leaves ...

ken

o

Uh-oh. Beachball round leaves?? Mine might be mislabelled too! On the left (only 2 years old).

o

Mine isn't very round either!
JanBlue Umbrellas photo hostarollcallJuly2013043_zpsc2f9c266.jpg

o

Hostahosta, et al...we all seem to have a juvenile Blue Umbrellas. Here's mine. Jan, your leaves seems to be more "rounded", maybe it's older?
Mine is new last year...maybe a few more leaves this year but nothing to write home about yet. Patience I guess...

o

Don't do anything rash, stay calm. It will work itself out. In the meantime, if you run across a Blue Umbrellas at a local nursery and it looks like you think one should, and it is big, and the price is great, why, I'd let that jump in my cart and go home with me. Then you won't care what the other one grows up to be, and you will relax and enjoy the stages of growth it goes through.

Those are really healthy looking hosta. How long does it take one of those to LEAP for you?

o

I certainly agree that they are all healthy looking! I've been kind of ignoring BU, moving it out of the sun and back to dappled light...picked it up on the cheap last year...not looking bad at all, just no sign of "umbrella" . Next year should make a difference, Mocc. It usually takes three years around here (give or take depending on cultivar) to gain some maturity generally.

Hostanista, you have a really nice shaped one. :-)

o

wow.. look at the library ... half.. the older ones.. have the round.. down-cupping umbrella like leaves i am thinking of ... i mean really.. there had to be a reason for the name ...

and the other half.. look like many of yours ...

what can we deduce from it all ... i dont know.. maybe maturity matters on giant blues... but it would be genetically weird.. for the pointy tips to disappear on maturity ... but its possible ...

wish chris would chime in ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here