Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Mislabeled Blue Umbrella?

hostahosta
9 years ago

Bought this labelled as Blue Umbrellas. Two years old and I'm now thinking it doesn't look like BU. It looks exactly like my Blue Angel, including exactly matching bloom time and flower appearance. Any thoughts? Anyone have pics of Blue Umbrellas?

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

id say you already figured it out...

when flower times match perfectly .. where can you go otherwise???

BA was my guess.. before i read the rest of your words... its those pointed ends ... as compared to BUs beachball round leaves ...

ken

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Uh-oh. Beachball round leaves?? Mine might be mislabelled too! On the left (only 2 years old).

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Mine isn't very round either!
    Jan

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, et al...we all seem to have a juvenile Blue Umbrellas. Here's mine. Jan, your leaves seems to be more "rounded", maybe it's older?
    Mine is new last year...maybe a few more leaves this year but nothing to write home about yet. Patience I guess...

9 years ago

I certainly agree that they are all healthy looking! I've been kind of ignoring BU, moving it out of the sun and back to dappled light...picked it up on the cheap last year...not looking bad at all, just no sign of "umbrella" . Next year should make a difference, Mocc. It usually takes three years around here (give or take depending on cultivar) to gain some maturity generally.

Hostanista, you have a really nice shaped one. :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wow.. look at the library ... half.. the older ones.. have the round.. down-cupping umbrella like leaves i am thinking of ... i mean really.. there had to be a reason for the name ...

and the other half.. look like many of yours ...

what can we deduce from it all ... i dont know.. maybe maturity matters on giant blues... but it would be genetically weird.. for the pointy tips to disappear on maturity ... but its possible ...

wish chris would chime in ...

ken

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    8 years ago

My Blue Umbrellas is doing this, too! I took a section of it from a mature clump in my yard at our old house, brought it to the new house, and now it looks like a completely different plant. I'm glad I found this thread-- now I know it's just immature, and not that I mixed the hostas up somehow. I've never owned Blue Angel.

• User
    8 years ago

I've had my eye on BU since this thread began, and may find a way to justify a new BA as well as a new BU. my original BA in the experimental bed is languishing in too much shade beneath the palm trees. Blues don't stay blue long around here, some even turn patent leather green with the heat, humidity, and shade. I plan to relocate the entire tribe of blue men to the main garden with some overhead shade cloth. I mean, if Olga can do it, so can I.

Incidentally, Dolly dachshund consumed all but the base of the crown on my new Coast To Coast as I was potting up new arrivals. I potted it anyway, because the PeaPod she ate last year made a spectacular comeback with the same problems.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Will the real Blue Umbrellas please stand up? After several purchases that I thought were BU I think I really have one now. The top pic was purchased recently, though small I think it truly is BU. The second pic was purchased at a big box store a few years ago. I'm convinced it is mislabelled. Time will tell. The third I bought last year from Mr. Cory of Cory's Wildflower Gardens. Dug it out on his hill. Perhaps Mr. Cory and I were miscommunicating. He wouldn't purposefully steer me wrong, but I don't think it is BU either. My understanding is BU has a rounder leaf than pics #2 and #3 which I think may be Blue Angels.

8 years ago

Mine is still puny.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Update please (with pics) - did the points go away?

5 years ago

Sorry to say that I lost mine..:(

• djacob68z5sewi
    5 years ago

BAs don't sit up so high as in the final pic that hostalady posts. At least mine doesn't.

• don_in_colorado
    5 years ago

She has the hosta leaf stems tied up with string in that last pic, djacob.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    5 years ago

I think you mean hostahosta and not me djacob (re last pic). I, unfortunately, do not have a BU!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists