Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older no ID

Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 KY (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:17

I was gifted some of these a few years ago and they have grown well. They get some pretty good sizes leaves , bigger than my hand and are a green on emerging and then a green/gold as the season goes on. They have large white fragrant flowers. I know the person I got them from had them at least 10 years before I got them so there a bit older..Any Ideas on an ID?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older no ID

I'm saying Fried Bananas because of the large green to yellow leaves and large white flowers.

DD

o

Fried Bananas

photo IMG_1870_zps4c052da4.jpg

DD

o

My gut instantly said PLANTAGINEA! Large white flowers is a great hint. They should be anywhere around 4-6" long.

o

They were moved this year so might not flower but if they do ill get a pic. Is fried bananas at least 10 years old?

o

Fried Bananas, Solberg 1994.

o

I'm not very good at this but it looks like my Plantaginea. It is very common and I was gifted mine as well. Fragrant white flowers in August.

o

Royal Standard. It's out of the plantaginia family of fragrant hostas which all bloom in August. If it's the grand-daddy plantaginia it will have blooms of about 6 inches long. But the more common Royal Standard has shorter blooms. Ken used to post a chart showing all the lengths of these August bloomers. Maybe he will do so again this year. He's the expert.

Steve

o

Looks like my Plantaginea - that green, the leaf shape, the upright vase shape. Somehow I ended up with many of these in my garden beds - I split and move them around all the time because I use them as fillers in new beds while waiting for new hostas to mature and fill out.

o

without doubt.. if P ... then 6 inch flowers ... nothing shorter than 6 for P ... ever .. or its not P

EVERY OTHER fragrant white is smaller ...

its hard on pix.. to compare greens ... if apple... but not 6 ... probably royal standard.. man this thing clumps faster than cat litter.. lol ...

if FB .... might be a touch yellower... later in the season ... its just not the granny apple green of P ...

also.. a lot of the guacamole clan.. seem to have a glaucous coating... a dull leaf... rather than the shiny P ...

seems like a masonic code with all the abbreviations ... lol

ken

ps: a lot of what we think are white flowers ... have a very subtle tinge of purple.. either in bud.. or just after opening ... which very quickly fades to all white .... you cant just look at it once.. and declare it WHITE ... there are relatively very few true white flowered hosta ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here