Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maow_gw

Please help ID these hosta... #3

maow
9 years ago

Bought from buglows garden, came with no tags, leaves are slightly cupped oval shaped, thick substance, light yellow margin, medium green center.

Comments (5)

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front view same plant, NOID #3

• User
    9 years ago

Could it be a young Rascal?

EDIT....i GOT IT BACKWARDS. SORRY. NOT RASCAL. (oh well).....let me take another look.....
    No ruffling waves on the margins, soft avocado butter colors, a bit of cupping. It could get its rugosity/corrugations with age. I have a new one, less than a month here, so not familiar with the hosta. Except I really like the colors on your hosta.

I'll be interested in the ID for this one too.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 16:35

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Not Rascal. It's really hard to tell because it's so immature. Notice that it's blooming now, so it probably has some Sieboldiana in it, but it doesn't look like Francis Williams either. Just give it a little time to grow and it'll be easier to ID.

You do know where to buy healthy named plants right?

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 18:40

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mocs for trying, it is really cute and thick, so slugs should be kept at bay. I bought a bigger hosta carnival at the same place, could it be the same plant? You mentioned about the rugosity when it matures, so it got me thinking. The colors are similar, but the carnival has some texture to it and the leaves are a little rounder. Trying to upload anothet photo, but the web won't take it, can I only do one photo per post? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Steve for trying as well. I should have known it will bother me all the time until I ID the plant, it was just an impulse buy, the soft colors and cupping of the leaves were so different than my mostly heart shaped ones, that I really just had to have it, but what really got me excited was when I touched the leaves and felt the thickness, my heart just went thump thump, you know? I know... crazy and hopeless :(

• maow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey mocs, I am sorry to say, that after checking the plant this morning, the colors aren't the pastel combo in the photos, they are now much darker green and yellow, I am leaning towards this being a young Carnival. The colors look exactly the same, and they came from the same garden centre. Will update towards the end of the season.