Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could this be Red October or what

Posted by almosthooked none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:24

Wrong name on purchase but I liked it but now it needs a name.. any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could this be Red October or what

Underside of plant

o

not red enough .. nor green enough.. if memory serves

ken

o

When I get home in an hour or so I'll post a pic of mine and you can compare, if somebody else doesn't beat me to it. Don't think the stems are red enough.

Sandy

o

Tried to push the leaves aside some so you can see the stems. Ignore the grasshopper damage.

Sandy

o

I bought Red October earlier this year from my local garden center. It has about 3 eyes and if I had to guess it its probably a 2-3 year old plant.

IMO what you have there is not Red October. The petioles are not dark enough, they are shorter than mine, and the leaves have a glaucous bloom on Red October. It doesn't appear you have the bloom underneath on yours.

Hope this helps,
Ludi

IMG_2351

IMG_2350

o
RE: Back of the leaf

Here' a shot of the back of the leaf. This plant gets sun maybe a couple hours midday.

Sandy

o

Forgot this one in the original reply. This shows the colors better and the glaucous bloom on the underside.

IMG_2349

o

The bloom on the back is mostly gone, I think from the heat. One leaf still had some.

o

The bloom on the back is mostly gone, I think from the heat. One leaf still had some.

o

Bloom on the back of a leaf? I'm confused???

o

Glaucous
1. Of a pale grayish or bluish green.
2. Botany Covered with a grayish, bluish, or whitish waxy coating or bloom that is easily rubbed off: glaucous leaves.

It is the "technical" term for the heavy wax coating that covers some cultivars leaves. It can be on the top or bottom. When it is on the bottom you get that flashy white look and when it is on the top you get the 'blue" we love in Hosta so much.

Like the definition says it is easily rubbed off, either with your hand, physical damage, or overhead watering. The heat can melt it off too.

Ludi

o

Okay and now that we know it is not a red october , what is it? I just hate having ??? on my markers lol
I had wondered it was not red enough was because it is in lots of afternoon sun . I had looked it up on the internet and the stems there were a lot more red .

o

What was the name on the tag when you purchased it? Maybe this is related to it?

o

deluxe edition on the tag but I have one and doesn't look the same

o

Could it be Fire Island? Here is a couple shots of mine. Paula

o

Opps here is the other:

o

Nope, not fire island either as I have one too but more red stocks then the ??? one. One day we will be able to tell when it blooms ... maybe

o

Did you get these from Naylor? Why don't you email Gary or Jack and ask them. Green leaves and red pets are pretty common among a number of varieties.

Steve

o

No Steve , I never got it from Naylor but from a local garden center. Even Myrle is stumped so far but it is not an important worry and it will grow up without a proper name as " green one" of now lol

o

It looks a lot like Elisabeth,a plant I have a couple of. Elisabeth has green cascading-type leaves and sorta reddish petioles. Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here