Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

Could this be Red October or what

almosthooked zone5
11 years ago

Wrong name on purchase but I liked it but now it needs a name.. any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Underside of plant

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

not red enough .. nor green enough.. if memory serves

ken

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

When I get home in an hour or so I'll post a pic of mine and you can compare, if somebody else doesn't beat me to it. Don't think the stems are red enough.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Tried to push the leaves aside some so you can see the stems. Ignore the grasshopper damage.

Sandy

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

I bought Red October earlier this year from my local garden center. It has about 3 eyes and if I had to guess it its probably a 2-3 year old plant.

IMO what you have there is not Red October. The petioles are not dark enough, they are shorter than mine, and the leaves have a glaucous bloom on Red October. It doesn't appear you have the bloom underneath on yours.

Hope this helps,
    Ludi

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Here' a shot of the back of the leaf. This plant gets sun maybe a couple hours midday.

Sandy

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Forgot this one in the original reply. This shows the colors better and the glaucous bloom on the underside.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

The bloom on the back is mostly gone, I think from the heat. One leaf still had some.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

The bloom on the back is mostly gone, I think from the heat. One leaf still had some.

{{!gwi}}

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

Bloom on the back of a leaf? I'm confused???

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Glaucous
    1. Of a pale grayish or bluish green.
    2. Botany Covered with a grayish, bluish, or whitish waxy coating or bloom that is easily rubbed off: glaucous leaves.

It is the "technical" term for the heavy wax coating that covers some cultivars leaves. It can be on the top or bottom. When it is on the bottom you get that flashy white look and when it is on the top you get the 'blue" we love in Hosta so much.

Like the definition says it is easily rubbed off, either with your hand, physical damage, or overhead watering. The heat can melt it off too.

Ludi

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay and now that we know it is not a red october , what is it? I just hate having ??? on my markers lol
    I had wondered it was not red enough was because it is in lots of afternoon sun . I had looked it up on the internet and the stems there were a lot more red .

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

What was the name on the tag when you purchased it? Maybe this is related to it?

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deluxe edition on the tag but I have one and doesn't look the same

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Could it be Fire Island? Here is a couple shots of mine. Paula

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

Opps here is the other:

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, not fire island either as I have one too but more red stocks then the ??? one. One day we will be able to tell when it blooms ... maybe

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Did you get these from Naylor? Why don't you email Gary or Jack and ask them. Green leaves and red pets are pretty common among a number of varieties.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No Steve , I never got it from Naylor but from a local garden center. Even Myrle is stumped so far but it is not an important worry and it will grow up without a proper name as " green one" of now lol

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

It looks a lot like Elisabeth,a plant I have a couple of. Elisabeth has green cascading-type leaves and sorta reddish petioles. Phil