paul_in_mn

Summer in the City

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

We've been spoiled in Minnesota this summer, though looks like summer temps are going to start rising with a couple of 90's this weekend. Please add your pics.

If you want to hear Summer In The City - Loving Spoonful while viewing pics, Right Click the link below and open in a new Tab or Window to play.

Risky Business fighting off a Red Lady fern

Lakeside Cupcake, 2nd yr - nice change in leaves this year. Center changes lt. green to cream to white over the season.

Kingfisher - been slowly progressing, an old Tardiana x Elegans cross. Anyone have a mature pic to share?

Jimmy Crack Corn - fairly shaded spot, pretty similar size for many years now. One of my later to show.

Illicit Affair, 2nd yr - impressed how quickly it took hold. Cute leaf with a narrow margin. (edit - HL shows a wider margin as it matures.) Nice mound form radiating out from the center.

Hudson Bay, 2nd yr - Eskimo Pie sport, growing ok so far.

Eskimo Pie, 5th yr - it's getting bigger, but if it hit a leap yr I missed it. Neighbor took down a couple of trees so getting more sun this year....

Guacamole - takes a while to catch up with neighboring plant. Something peaceful about Guac's colors.

Ginsu Knife - need to find a garden spot for this beauty.

Eclipse, 3rd yr from liner - nice size leaves this year, time to find a garden spot. Ripples are coming.

Choo Choo Train - these last 2 years it has started to look good

Bright Lights, 3rd yr - supposedly an improved tokudama Aureonebulosa. Found a nice potful and had to give it a try. Growing in quite a bit of sun.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer In The City - Loving Spoonful

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 17:59

Comments (24)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Great pictures. I especially like "Choo Choo Train" and "Lakeside Cupcake". I have LC growing in a pot. It's just a baby, but it put out a nice new bunch of leaves last week. It sure looks a lot different when mature. Is it a good grower for you? I've heard a lot of people have trouble with it.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 18:12

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Paul, how many hosta DO you have? I've lost count...you just keep coming up with beauties after beauties...never seen a Risky Business so pristine.
    I'm so glad I got Ginsu Knife this year...seeing yours confirms I made a good choice with that one. Yours is how old?

Mine is still in pot..has some lichen keeping it company..better clean it up and plant in a nicer pot, it deserves it. Since I brought it home, it has given me 6 new leaves, yay!
    Here's a pic....and thanks for looking! :):):)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

flower-frenzy - Lakeside Cupcake is second year so nothing much to compare yet, other than a nice change in leaves and seems very happy/healthy. It has got my attention this year. Hope someone else can comment on difficulty to grow.

josephines67 - Your Ginsu Knife looks good. I have a lot less than Ken and a few more than Brandy......for now.....500+. Here's a pic of my GK when purchased in June 2010 for comparison. GK is always sending up leaves - its flush is continuous or so it seems.

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for more always-awesome pics, Paul. I agree with you 100% about 'Guacamole' being peaceful to look at.. Maybe that's why I now have 10 of 'em...

And the cool hosta you introduced me to on THIS thread was 'Eclipse'...What a beauty. At least in this particular pic, it's a little reminiscent of 'Royal Tapestry' to me. You seem to have at least one hosta I hadn't seen before in each and every one of your threads. I always look forward to your photos..

Regards,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

500+ hosta, Paul?? That's a decent start, I guess. ; )

Don B.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Ooh, I like that Ginsu knife! And Eclipse too. I love the ones that continually send up leaves.

Here is my Risky Business from today. Big jump this year and I need to rework the small bed its in to give it room. Been waiting for a break in the heat to do that.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Love that LS Cupcake, Paul. On the Library description, Mary describes it as having "moderate" growth rate. If that's true it's pretty good for a white centered variety. FYI, LS Cupcake was the plant Mary chose to honor as her Distinguished Merit Hosta when she was given the first Eunice Fisher Award as outstanding hybridizer. She chose LS Cupcake because it took 15 years of growing on in her garden for it to stabilize and become worthy of introduction.

Steve

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Your photos are always so vivid and beautiful. You must have a great camera.

I love my Ginsu Knife, too. Here's mine year two at the beginning of summer. It's really grown a lot since the photo was taken and blooms are peaking through the top.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Got nothing but good to say about Lakeside Cupcake. It's stunning, grows well, I've moved it 3 times cuz Im always moving stuff and it doesnt miss a step,

Here it is in August 2011 when I bought it

Then June 2012

Then June 2013

And in each picture it is in a different place.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Mr. Watson' 07/05/13.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Guacamole'

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hosta, heuchera, and Asiatic lilies.

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I've been enjoying all your photos lately. I don't know how you keep that many hostas looking so good. No frost damaged leaves, no bites, no sunscorch, just perfection. I notice your Bright Lights is so yellow in the sun. Mine is darker but it's in a place where it gets no direct sun, but ironically plenty of bright light. It's looking pretty cute this year.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for adding your comments and pics.

sandyslopes - pic seems too yellow for Bright Lights I think, should be a more faded yellow. If I get a bit of haze in pic I use the I'm feeling lucky button in Picasa3. But BL will definitely yellow up with more light.

Don, Eclipse is a Don Dean hosta - if I come across one of his I will usually give it a try - looks like it will be a big hosta.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

leaflover76 - that's nice growth over 3 years.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

I loved looking at everyone's hostas.

Paul, I've never seen Eclipse before... lovely. You do such a great job growing the liners on. I have no luck growing hostas in pots.

I finally captured 'Lederhosen' at a somewhat blue stage
    on June 9.

Lederhosen

• irawon
    10 years ago

On Stage lept for me in this spot this year so I didn't move it as I had intended,

On Stage

• irawon
    10 years ago

Lakeside Hoola Hoop hanging in there with root competition.

• User
    10 years ago

About two of the hosta mentioned above.

On Stage came out strong this year. So beautiful I could not believe it.

And then Ginsu Knife. It bloomed very early, and now.....it is blooming again. I found no mention of it reblooming. Nice white bell shaped flowers. Note the spent scapes.

Ginsu Knife blooming in May too

• irawon
    10 years ago

Whisky Sour didn't miss a beat after I moved it ealier this year. It's always been a nicely proportioned clump.

• irawon
    10 years ago

Deja Blu has never produced the white line it's supposed to have and my camera doesn't do the blue justice.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

So happy to see how Mr. Watson will look like!!

I don't have much to say because if I started, i would not be able to stop! Honestly, I am just bedazzled by all the ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL hosta pics by all..I can't even start a wish list, sad but true, because where would I begin? I'd have to take up gardening in someone else's yard because I certainly have no room here.

Wonderful, wonderful hosta..I sure got my eye-candy today. :)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I received Mr Watson with my very first Hallson order. I really like the subtle variegation and texture. Mine is getting lost behind bigger hostas and I plan on replacing it with Key West and moving Mr. W to a better spot

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Paul, I have also a h.'Eskimo Pie'. It must have been a first season TC in 2009. It is growing in some sun with plenty of water, but is still small. Good luck! Bernd